Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, December 21, 2009

It's raining, I'm melting! *sigh*

Song of the day: “No” by Shakira. Gorgeous song. Little more I can say about it.

Well, it is another miserable day…weather wise. We are literally covered in clouds once again, and the rain is pouring down with a southeastern wind that is slamming against the side of the house. The recent pouring of the gutter didn’t do as much as we had hoped, considering there’s some flooding in the toilet and pantry, but it is less, I think. Yep, this ‘ll mean doing some serious mopping up, just as soon as the rain lets down.

Let’s get to the past couple of days fast, ‘cause there is way too much to do, and I really shouldn’t be spending too much time behind the computer…darn it.

Writing is going pretty well, still. I’m five hundred words short of doubling the beginning of the story, bringing the manuscript up to a third of what it is supposed to be come completion. Yay. The words are flowing nicely, the story developing rapidly…though admittedly I remember little of what I’ve added so far. I get in a kind of fugue state once I get going, so it still remains to be seen if it is any good. I’m thinking it will, but you never know.

I was in the middle of a gloomy, date-like scene last night when I heard about the death of Brittany Murphy, so that distracted me for a bit. So strange; such a young woman, and so talented. I loved her in “Uptown Girls” and “Don’t say a word”. I knew her from Clueless and Girl Interrupted, of course, but the first two were really excellent. How terrible for her loved ones, for something like this to happen. It does seem like the celebs are dropping by the dozen these days. *sigh*

For the most part, we have been working on putting together a solid workbench for the carport. It’s going to be a massive construction, what with it having a lot of action to look forward to, and it is turning out rather nicely. It is mostly out of wood, with a smooth counter in-between that’ll allow for semi-easy cleaning.

The first seedling veggies have been planted the day before yesterday, so now it will be all about waiting and seeing how they’re going to do in the recently turned earth. There’re mostly winter veggies now: Iceberg slaw, cauliflower, onions (let’s face it, we’re all nuts about onions so they’ll get eat if they decide to grow) leek and red cabbage. Basically it now is a selection that’ll grow this time of year, and to see how it goes. We have done some home growing in the past, but it’s been a while for sure. We’ll see.

There was some cleaning done…my cabin to be precise. Things were turning bad again, so I decided to drag a broom through and give the bathroom a good scrubbing all over. It’s still not neat, but it’ll have to do for now.

The new mattresses arrived the day before yesterday, so most of that day I spent hauling them around. Middle sister got her new one, I did too, so did mom, little brother and grandpa; considering big brother and little sister got theirs a few months ago, we are now all set for the next ten years, or so. At least these are proper quality, while the ones that were bought ‘bout twenty years ago (and then a few really cheap ones in the past few years to tide us over) really got to be too bad for use.

I slept rather wonderfully on the new one, by the way. My hips don’t hurt when I wake up, so that’s a plus and when I do my morning stretch exercises, I don’t need to unclick my spinal cord, hah. Also, I have gained an extra seven inches in bed width, allowing me to actually stretch out without the dogs being in the way. Yay…it is a rather novel sensation.

The temperatures are pretty low for the time of year. The mercury has dropped down to 4 degrees (c) already, and that means lots of layers for me. Yesterday I finally got smart and donned two pairs of trousers, which is doing the trick so far. I could even work outside without loosing sensation in my legs, hah.

The plants are enjoying the rain, of course; everything is looking brilliantly green and fresh, which is a definite plus of wintertime. The long warm summers leave everything looking rather miserably dusty and bland, so on that part this type of weather is appreciated at least.
The dogs on the other hand, seriously dislike it, taking only the absolutely required amount of time to rush outside and do their business, before they come storm back inside, soaking wet. Aaargh.
Of course, when one of us goes out, they’ll be around us like a shot, not caring a fig whether they get wet, or not. Like I’ve said, many times before, they’re absolutely nuts. Hah.

Little Adma (female pocket Beagle) had developed a bit of a cold the other day. What with her tendency to follow grandpa practically everywhere, she’d developed a bit of hypothermia and felt poorly for a couple of days. Grandpa kept her warm, however, stuffed her under the blankets a lot and now she’s right as rain again. You’d think that she would learn of the experience and stick close to the fire barrel which we burn wood it while working on the variety of project, but nope. Every time he tried to put her somewhere it was warm, she’d jump right off, and go in his pursuit again. Silly girl.

Knight II has similar tendencies, which isn’t smart, considering his thin fur, but at least he’ll huddle up in my cabin, only coming out every thirty minutes or so, to check if I’m still around. Mosha is starting to do the same, so with a little luck I might actually be able to move around without at least half a dozen dogs around my feet. Hah, who knew that there were advantages to winter after all?

But anyways…while grandpa and big brother continued with the workbench, little sister and I started on the toilet room, which keeps developing a mould of sorts. After several years of trying just about everything to get rid of it, we decided to treat it properly, and just design a breathing layer for it. So with a little luck we’ll be putting that up today. There’s going to be a beautiful layer of ebony slats, going up vertically (creating height) and decorated edges to keep the lot in place. It requires some acrobatics, working in such a small space, two of us humans and an average of four dogs…or more, since they can’t be expected to just look for a place to snooze elsewhere, of course, grrr…but we’re getting there.
It’s going to look very nice, I think.

The courtyard room is finally cleared of the stuff that has been piled there during the course of the past months, so it is now relatively clean, with everything stored properly on pallets, off to the side where they’re the least obstructive. It took little sister and me the majority of the day (Friday, I think) but it was worth it.

Well, that about sums it up, meaning that I gotta run and get started on the day. Can’t spend the entire duration of it cozy and warm behind the keyboard, waiting for summer to return, no matter how tempting that might seem at times.

No comments: