Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Got the Gate in, yeah!

Song of the day: “Did it again,” by Shakira. I guess I’m stuck with the She Wolf album at the moment. Good thing I like these songs. Hah.

As big brother just said: The gate is in and we did not, not manage it. I think that describes it rather aptly, so I’m going to stick with it. The dratted thing is in after all, it hangs, swing open and the beam that will keep it shut against the wind (it started blowing somewhat fierce ‘round dusk, darn it) along with the back of the car which we put up, just in case.

But I’m getting ahead of myself, aren’t I, I’m supposed to start at the beginning of the day…or better yet yesterday, since we’re doing this thing only once every two days. I know, I know, impatience is not a virtue. *sigh*

Yesterday: Well, yeah, Shamira is doing well. Gawd, you really don’t want to see her stitches, there’s an arm’s length of it over her chest and tummy, and looking at it freaks me out. The Rymadyl (painkiller and anti inflammatory) is making her a little fuzzy, we’re thinking ‘cause she’s walking around overly happy, all things considered. It was rather comical, really, the little runt toddling around with not a care in the world. We’re so happy she isn’t feeling anything at the moment.

While I did some smaller projects yesterday, like making a new window for the bathroom, of which the old one was starting to get downright scary. The wood was rotting, and the glass broken, so I took some beech wood and made a new one. Only needs glass now, seeing as the sibs already painted it, so that’s over and done with.

I wrote a solid four pages last night, and that in the limited two hours that were available for it, and considering I should do a few more today, I should really hurry up. It would help if I wasn’t still freezing my butt off, even after the scalding hot shower I took when we were finally done for the day.

So yeah, I helped our tenant with her exercises, of course, and she is doing well…getting more stable on her feet and everything. Though it is all a matter of an adventurous roller coaster, on the overall I am pretty pleased with the progress she’s making.

Next I attacked the gate with the drilling machine, killed two tiny drill bits on the metal before I finally finished my part of the day’s job by fitting about one hundred screws to connect wood with metal. Talk about mind numbing.

Luckily, the day started off with rather pleasant weather…heck, our tenant could even sit outside in the sunshine…but regretfully, by the end of the day (lunch consisted out of a bowl of fries, which was free for all, and an apple instead of veggies) the clouds had fully gathered again.

We hauled the second gate up, gawd, almost broke our backs doing that. The new gate is going to be a big and heavy sucker. We broke the old one out, set the new one in place and little brother and I spent the next couple of hours standing there, holding the damn thing in place. Of course, the wind picked up by then, temperatures dropped and I seriously considered chattering my teeth in an attempt to get warm. It didn’t work, I assure you.

Our dogs weren’t happy at all, considering we had to lock them in the center garden, what with the gate missing and all. Poor little darlings looked so very miserable at the fences, Knight II posing like a might steed frozen in place, Chaos, his eyes drooping, underneath him, and Dax sneaking off with Adma (both Pocket Beagles) only to pester the neighbors below us. Poor grandpa went after them, ‘cause Adma didn’t dare to get off a rather high rock, and Dax dashed back up while one of the sibs went down with a ladder so grandpa could get back over the fence, rather than climb his way to the front of the property.

Sitabah, who of course doesn’t take no for an answer, was around constantly, whether we locked her behind the fences, or not…I swear, I don’t know how she does it. No matter what, she will get outside the fence. That dog could scale a nine-foot fence if she set her mind to it.

But anyway, dusk was falling, and so were the temperatures. We started out with sweaters and ended up with double sweater plus coats, scarves, gloves and hats. And then the rain started, while we were in the midst of attaching the hinges, which wasn’t funny at all. It was cold, wet and windy…not my favorite way to be. It always tires me out and when I get tired I start making stupid jokes, which then gets the rest going (they get tired too, of course) and then the end is nigh. I’m telling you, when you start using romance novel terminologies (e.i. the fit is too tight; just a little deeper; that’s the spot, hold it right there; and a gross one…just needs a bit of spit to fit) that have you fall over in fits of laughter, you’ve read WAY too many romance novels. Hah.
Honestly, I was close to tears from laughter at some point…which, of course, kept me warm a little longer, thankfully.
Regretfully, having little brother along when you’re in the mood is never a good idea, since he really gets going at some point, so I ended up almost choking on the hot tea I’d just started to sip. Tea over your hands in a cold wind is NOT nice, they still haven’t warmed up, darn it.

Be that as it may, by nightfall, we had four hinges up (and thus the gate…yeah, yeah, just the hinges wouldn’t be anything) the long beam wedged in front of the gate and the car too. By this time, the wind had picked up some serious speed (chilling us to the bone, mind you) coming in from the north with icy rain, and I was more than happy to take it inside.

A hot shower followed, droopy eyes aplenty all the way, as I took the dogs into the veranda office where we are now spending the majority of the evening with the storm going on outside…
And now it’s already past ten, so I really should get some serious work done on “ATOL”.

No comments: