Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Three in one?

Song of the day: “Did it again” by Shakira. Talk about loud in my head. Jeez.

Lots happening, especially since I cheated yesterday and used my book trailer as a genuine post. Hah. No matter though, I wrote down keywords to remind me of the event, YAY…sorry, didn’t mean to be sarcastic, I guess it’s just one of those days.

So yeah, rocks: We had four bloody trips, loading up full and well after a long workday. It is still an excellent exercise, especially since we took the opportunity twice to also go for a run. The first day went rather miserably, seeing as I couldn’t get my feet under me properly, but yesterday it went well. Made both courses in one breath, hah.

Over the past few days, we’ve been stretched thin a little, for some peculiar reason, which means that we only added one rib to the greenhouse. It is starting to look like a greenhouse, though, so it is going well enough. Also plastered the brick edge at the end of the day, while big brother was still working with wood, his head gleaming like a bowling ball since he’d asked me to shave his head the other day, hah.

The younger sibs and I are busy with two projects at the moment (there is of course the yard too, but that’s an ongoing thing, not a project, I think). During the course of the past few days we have put in two layers of the concrete wall for our future water reservoir. Boy, talk about heavy. Those friggin’ bricks weigh a solid hundred pounds, and considering the sisters can’t easily carry them, I did most of the hauling. Let’s just say that I carried a whopping 2000 pounds in the past couple of days. Now that’s what I call exercise. Hah.

Seeing that the sisters and little brother did the masonry on the wall, I thought it a fair trade off: they had to be in the bottom of the pit an extra half hour, in full sunshine, mind you.
So, yeah, because we can only do one layer a day we also put up a reed roof on the terrace down there. That meant hauling down thin tree trunks, reed mats, and some long bamboo canes for extra support. It took some doing, but after two days we are once again able to find shade during work hours. Yay.

While big brother and grandpa put in six eucalypti babies in the ground, we (younger sibs and I) turned a nice patch of earth up in the old paddock, the mountain. Nothing major, just a small patch where we’ll be able to put the steadily growing cantaloupes. We should be able to get at least ten of them up in there.
Before we started, we were looking around at the location and actually found wild growing broccoli in the bushes, also sunflowers, which we all dug out, of course, and took down to the vegetable garden where they can continue on.

The cauliflower is the size of a football (soccer) now, by the way. So’s the first red cabbage, and we’ve had our first strawberries just the other day. One for everyone, hah. There are still caterpillars, we’re taking out approximately 10 a day.
Leek is looking good too, and we took two out for dinner yesterday…mom made homegrown chard, spinach mashed potato with cheese for dinner and it was friggin’ delicious. We’re also having a lot of salads too, and that’s tasting good too.

Our Eucalypti in pots are growing well. We’ve got 56 of them going steadily, and yesterday we moved them to one of the terraces where they’re out of the way. There they are, looking like our very own daycare center, right underneath this massive eucalyptus, looking out over them like a proud parent. Hah.

The cough with the pack is almost completely gone now. Medication worked, or better yet, the pack’s immune system did. For a while it was a touch and go with little Adma (pocket beagle) who was smasming, but she is fine again.

We had our ups and downs with daily edits of four to five hours. I think since the last blog thirty more edits were dealt with. There were some really good pieces, and some serious struggles but we’re getting there.

It is really getting time for us to start working on the pool tiling, ‘cause we need to bathe the dogs in the anti parasite stuff. Though it is not that bad a chore, the washing that is, it needs to be done.

In-between the ongoing projects, I’ve been working on a new back cover for the “W.I. Investigations: The White Doves”, but it is slow in coming. Can’t help it, really, can’t magically make the day longer after all.

Time to head on out, I might have managed to get to bed early, earning myself an extra hour, but it won’t do me any good if I linger on this blog thing too long. Besides, our tenant is going down to the greenhouse. Though she had pain in her back the other day, she is steadily getting better again, and yesterday even managed to walk down to the terrace again.

No comments: