Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Seriously hating hospitals

Song of the day: “Under the sun” by Cheryl Cole. It is starting to get a little old now. I’m ready for something else. If it is still in my head tomorrow, I’m going back to singing Will Young’s “Come on” darn it. Works like a charm to kill another song that keeps haunting me.

So yeah, the end of the weekend, and back into the new week, darn it. Why do the weekends go so fast as opposed to the…wait a minute, the entire week goes way too fast. Grrr.
But anyway, I had a wonderful dream about going to Ireland the other day. Was absolutely splendid, so I am totally going to do that one of these days, just to see if my dream compares to reality. I would fully describe the dream, but let’s face it, I’m late again, and wouldn’t be able to go into that much detail if my life depended on it. It comes down to the fact that I’ve had a ridiculously long day and am looking forward to calling it a night. Hah.

Oh gawd, I don’t know how I could have forgotten (or didn’t I) to mention that we have the Land Rover back. Yay. They fixed the transmission box, and she’s purring like a kitten again, so double yay on that, despite the fact that now there appears to be a problem with the speedometer. The mechanic promised to look at that later, because they weren’t sure if the problem had been there (it hadn’t) prior to them fixing the car. We’ll get to that later. I’m just happy it’s working again. Of course (this comes as no big surprise to me, by the way) now the Opel has an appointment again because there’s this weird screeching sound. Aaaargh. Stupid cars! Hah.

Saturday: Right now, thinking about it, I’m drawing a complete blank. Hah. Lemme just get my diary here…right. We went over to Liane, the lady with the fence we built, to check out the pool and to take measurements for the adjustments she would like us to make.
It didn’t take long to figure out what the problem with the pool was. After crawling through the water for about an hour I found a small hole about three inches from the wall, which had created a path toward one of the supports and literally streamed out there. Soaked through, and wary of the swarm of bees that had decided to make the leak spot their watering hole, we finished up our foray about two hours after arrival and headed back home.

There was cooking, and yard stuff. First cabbage seeds are in the multi pots. Coliflower, broccoli, white cabbage, red cabbage and kale, which should make up for part of this winter’s suppers. That done, big brother and I went back out for a donation, which took way too long of course, meaning that I didn’t have a lot of time to write…it’s a procrastinating thing, I assure you. When I do get to sit down at my computer, my focus decides to take a flying heap. No worries, though, I’ve reached the three hundred page line today, and that’s a yay too. The end is nigh.

That night I had a rather scary dream about finding a splash of blood on the floor, and then finding the cause of it. In the dream Arthur had basically been ripped to pieces, which make feel all icky when I woke up. Decided to give Arthur a good petting when he came outside, just because I felt like it. Hah.

Had our visiting dogs for company while I hung laundry, and rushed through breakfast so big brother and I could head down into the yard and take apart a wooden constellation because we’re going to use it for the wooden partition around Sally’s cabin. It took a few hours, and there was full sunshine, but the breeze kept it bearable at least. Only managed to drill out two of the poles, by the way, because apparently I put them in well last year, hah, because the jackhammer had trouble getting through it. Ended up with two poles before I had to rush up so I could drive middle sister to the gas station where mom had made an appointment with two separate couples who offered to take “yellow bird” and the chinchilla off our hands. Tight finances call for extreme measures after all. Both couples seemed nice, and the ones who took the bird said that if we ever needed a place for birds, we should just call them because they had three (or five) aviaries to fill yet. A reassuring thought what with the parrots still in the cage in the house. It is nice to know that they have a place to go if things ever get dire.

There was supper, of course, and though it was wonderful, my stomach did not agree with it last night. Half of it came right back up, darn it. I hate it when that happens. It reminds me of the times when that was a normal occurrence for me and depresses me. *sigh*

Sally’s been very tired, which is basically the only side effect she suffers from during the treatment. Which reminds me, this morning we headed out early because we had to go to two hospitals in a row. First in Malaga, where she got radiated as usual (after having to wait for a full half hour after we had been specifically asked to be there at one thirty on the dot. We were) and then Marbella where she had her first meeting with her oncologist.

Almost didn’t make it there either, seeing as there was some sort of traffic jam going on that appeared out of the blue on one of the most dangerous roads of the area. I had about three seconds of warning while the bloke in front of us stamped on his brakes and put on his flashers. I pumped my own, once, twice, and then came to a full standstill with the third, less than a yard behind the car in front of us. Jeez. My blood dropped straight from my brain, leaving me a little breathless as I looked from the stopped cars to Sally and Dani (she volunteered to go along to translate) to see if they weren’t plastered against the front windshield. Double jeez. That was close, but the brakes held true, I didn’t go into a skid, and we got through it without damage. Yay!

At the hospitals, we went through the whole song and dance, she was examined, all the questions got asked and filed and then there was the talk. The nasty business of what her previous doctors hadn’t gotten around to explaining: “You’re tumor is not curable, and there is nothing we can really do except treat your symptoms.” Yikes. She was startled, but not sure enough about her English to respond to it. That came later while we were in the car with her, and at home. She had thought that they were going to cure her, that the test result would come out as relatively harmless, but now she heard that they were basically aiming to make her life as pleasant as possible for what time was left for her. *sigh* She’s taking it well, so far, agrees that the doctors don’t know everything and that she’s going to make the best of it. I’m sure she’ll have some bad days coming, but so far her attitude toward it is admirable. Let’s hope she can keep up the positivity, which is one of the most important things at this stage.

The fence building job is going through, and despite the fact that I went through the majority of the DIY stores in the area to look at prices, Liane decided to keep it simple and picked the metal fencing to close it off. Good thing, since it will take the least amount of time…in particular with the predicted rain, and the yard stuff we still need to do. As it is, we’ll be busy with it, two to three days, which is going to make it all a tight squeeze.

My doggies are bound to be upset with me again, but it can’t be helped. Knight II will be going along, of course, but the Chaos will be resentful, to say the least.

But anyway, once we got home today, I was seriously running on fumes. I dislike hospitals severely, and the bummer is, that when Sally’s chemo starts we should prepare to spend a full day there because they will try to fit as much treatments into one appointment as they can. I better have a book and computer along for the occasion.

Luckily big brother cooked, so I didn’t need to do that. After walking through two hospitals (buildings and parking lots) and two massive DIY warehouses, I really wasn’t in the mood to cook. I was actually jealous of big brother and grandpa who spent the majority of the day in the basin, mucking out sludge. Seriously, it is preferable to hospitals. Hah.

No comments: