Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Stretched thin

Song of the day: …I actually can’t remember. It doesn’t happen often, but there you have it. Today my brain was empty. Yesterday, on the other hand, I had “Torn” from Natalie Imbruglia in my head, and I blame it all on one of my social sites where they showed this mime artist, miming the song. Funny as heck, and afterward the song got stuck the way it used to.

It’s been a friggin’ long day, and I am not in the best of moods, considering I am feeling a little stretched thin. Sally’s back home, regretfully sooner than we’d expected, since the cabin is not completely done yet.

With today already being somewhat of a problem, it didn’t help that yesterday Djoti, little sister’s cocker had to be put down. His life had been stretched out for a couple of years already. There had been cancer, cataract that left him blind and with only one eye still in place, his spleen worked badly, his liver too, and then this morning his kidneys began to fail him as well. Meaning that little sister had to face the dreaded decision, and we are minus another dog. Not a good day.

And since I’ve no already mentioned yesterday, let’s handle that first. Woke relatively on time for a change. Was late by the time I finished the morning rituals, so I had to hurry through the morning laundry, and then my little swim. Afterward it was time for dog food, and feeding them. Not so much special stuff in it today, just veggies and some light cheeses from the last donation. While I was still doing breakfast, cousin Ed had to head for the hospital to visit with Sally.

Once breakfast was done, I got started with the floor, and finished it in the following three hours. Cousin Ed came home in time to help me nail the floor in place.
Tenant has been making herself useful painting boards for the cabin, and Sally, who simply had to do something after almost three weeks of inactivity. She too started on the painting, but she helped with the outside, which is turning nicely mahogany by now.
The end of the afternoon was spent sawing, measuring and varnishing the plinths. Had wanted to fit them in at the end of the day, but since there was cooking to do, and watering of the plants, we really didn’t get around to that part.

We got four sick people in the house. Basically all the sibs, which is interesting, what with everything that needs to be done. (Which explains my “stretched thin” feeling, doesn’t it?) Gawd, need to sleep fast, because this day has been way too long.

Today, when we headed for hospital, we were met by a worried Sally who told us that the new doctor had said that she could go home and that she would be discharged ASAP. It all went a little rude, really, considering nothing was explained to her, nor had he told her what the results were. And when we asked, the doc got all huffy, and started to explain all the stuff from the beginning, the problems and everything (like we didn’t know that already) without telling us the test results. Seriously, the guy ticked me off. We’ll just have to talk with the oncologist with whom Sally has an appointment at the end of September. I don’t get hospitals. Someone is seriously sick, and they’re going to postpone treatment for another two weeks.

Anyway, first priority was food. Sally hadn’t had breakfast, so she ate some sandwiches, had an ice cream and ate along with our supper of salad and French fries, because she had been hoping on the latter for weeks. I can imagine, what with hospital food being “good” but incredibly bland.

Finished the plinths today, they’re in and they’re looking good. The tar roof is on, which is what grandpa did the most of the afternoon. I just played the hand-up person, holding stuff, getting stuff, while in the meantime transferring some fortifying woodwork from the inside to the outside.

That done, while big brother gave up trying to fight his feverish exhaustion and went to bed while cousin Ed and I headed down into the yard. While she finished up with the watering, I made our salad for supper, and then headed back up to cut dog food.

After food for ourselves, while cousin Ed helped Sally and I headed up to give tenant a hand, the day came to an end without a single moment of writing in it. Grrr.

Luckily there will be a new day tomorrow. I’m heading to bed.

No comments: