Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dream Story and the day.

Space was pitch black with pinpricks of stars sparkling far, far away. Silence hung heavily all around, creating a sense of doom that was slowly building up to a mighty climax.
A falling star shot passed, gliding a path against the intense blackness, leaving a burning flame in its wake. A gigantic projectile shot towards the surface, streaking through the air with a mighty roar.
It slammed into the earth full force, a huge shock wave making the tectonic plates shift and shiver. Earth, rock and dirt swept across the globe, sweeping through everything that lay in its path. Buildings shattered, trees were torn to shreds and life, as we knew it, crumbled in the years of bitter cold,–without sunlight ever penetrating the clouds–that followed.
Only few people survived, becoming little more than scavengers within the ruins that had once been a blooming civilization. Years went by, the past forgotten, as survival became a solitary goal, until at last the thick clouds hovering low in the earths atmosphere broke slowly apart.
This happened on a dark night, with only the stars shining brightly against the sheer black drop, leaving the occupants of a small colony on the fringes of the ruins awed by the sight of jewels shimmering overhead.
It was a flash of light up in the sky that made a couple of independent scavengers– roaming through the debris of a skyscraper ruin–stop their search for supplies in order to see what it was.
They stared openmouthed at the large formation of stars appearing to draw nearer, slowly beginning to take on shape. Angular structures became visible, blocky vessels of alien origin outlined by a pale blue light as they steadily descended through the earth’s atmosphere.
Frightened by the sight of what could only be ships, the couple fled into the ruins, digging deep into a basement of sorts, littered with debris that had long since been covered by thick layers of dust and sand.
A distant roar filled their ears, increasing their fear when suddenly, from the way they’d come, a pale yellow light appeared. Unable to flee, they stayed where they were, hoping against all odds that their hideout would be sufficient when a head-sized tentacle slowly winded its way into the basement.
It was almost transparent, a yellow glow pulsing through what looked like arteries as a hum echoed softly through the space. Steadily the tentacle moved further inside, slithering its way through the air like a snake, as the scavengers slowly moved from their corner and slid behind a large pile of debris, just when the tentacle’s attention focused on the spot they had just left.
Adapt at hiding, the two made their way stealthily around the room, heading toward the jagged stairs that were the only way in and out of the basement.
Hurrying towards freedom, one of the scavengers skidded on a wet patch on the floor, and turned the exact moment a hiss sounded from behind. He turned and…. I wake up.
A great dream, that will most definitely go into my files as a possible book story–though I would have liked to see what happened next. Ah well…maybe some other time. Let’s get to the day.


I didn’t get to sleep until at least seven thirty in the morning and the monster started fussing from the moment the hour of ten passed, interrupting my impressive dream brutally. She was worse then ever, actually, and I finally resorted to locking her in the back yard so I could at least sleep another hour, undisturbed, and hopefully capable of continuing where the dream has left off.

Of course, I’d forgotten to set the alarm, so I actually got half an hour extra–no dreams this time–when big brother phones to ask if something is wrong. Hah. Except for the fact that he’s phoned me awake, nothing is, of course. Considering I decided last night to take a rest day, exercise wise, it isn’t too much of a disaster so I get up and start the day.

I go to the house the way I always do. My foot feels slightly uncomfortable and I’m pretty happy about the fact that there is no laundry to hang today. I start up the computer immediately after breakfast and spent some time on the Net before starting on the book.

Still procrastinating a bit, but little more than a page from the ending, I manage to get a solid scene fitted. It’s definitely getting to be good, I’m thinking, actually looking forward to starting the editing session to see if the sense I get from it is remotely accurate.
This certainly is a first for me, the looking forward to editing part, that is. I never look forward to editing!

Managing two pages before the time, to get ready for grocery shopping and school, arrives, demanding that I shut down my computer and head on up to my cabin to get dressed. There is a chilly northwestern wind blowing in. Thick ominous clouds piling high and knocking against our mountain sluggishly change shape as thin tendrils draw nearer.
On the way down the mountain, rain comes down from the northwest angle and sunlight shines down from the southwest. It creates an impressive rainbow against the clear backdrop of the cloud-covered mountain. Quite extraordinary!

First things first, big brother and I are dropped off at the school for little over an hour behind the test computers. It goes well enough. I am able to focus since there are only two or so other students working with us in the small room, and I am pleased to see that I’ve done four of the six tests today without error.

After eighty minutes, chatting a bit with our instructor, we’re picked up by mom and grandpa again, and head for the home improvement store on the other side of town to get some more paint for the kitchen, along with clamps for when we’re going to attach the drawer covers with glue. I’m pretty pleased to find three nice sets of small clamps that look ancient and are really out of fashion what with the high-tech gadgets they sell these days. Three a pack, for only three bucks. Can’t beat a good deal like that.

That done, it’s time to go to the supermarket, and fill up the two carts with two weeks worth of supplies before we head back home.
Once there, I’m pleased to see that the sisters have already varnished the oak wood in the kitchen, and have cleaned everything so the groceries can be put away.

It takes us a good thirty minutes to get everything into place, and though little sister has made dinner, it isn’t enough to supply everyone with a full portion. Rather than dividing it all evenly, I opt to make myself roasted pita bread, stuffed with grilled cheese, peppers, onions, and fresh lettuce, and cherry tomatoes soaked in a tasty yogurt sauce. Excellent meal, that fills me up for the rest of the evening.

We watch TV for a bit, before little sister and I apply the last layer of paint on the drawer covers. Next we add sealant to the middle sink, chatting about today’s lessons and the sibs their exploits on the Net before the usual clean up needs to be done.

After wasting some time, just hanging about the evening has come to an end, and I’m heading on out with the crazy pack to start the evening rituals. Some personal messages get dealt with, along with this Blog naturally and at the end I’m once again running late.

No matter, though. At least today was not a sucky one, the way yesterday was.

No comments: