Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Steady as it goes.

Song of the day: “Who is it” by Michael Jackson. Awww, finally one from the King of Pop. It has been a while that I had one of his, isn’t it? Ah well, great song.

Steady days, and a tad boring, all things considered. I made a few notes (what with my memory being so crappy) but since I failed to put them chronologically, there’ll be a mess for you to sort through today. Hah.

I survived grocery-shopping day, as you can see. Yes, it surprised me too, but here I obviously am, present to tell of another couple of days. Isn’t it grand? Sorry, I’ll try to contain my sarcastic remarks.

So, apparently, Knight II decided to form an infection underneath the wound on his ribs (you remember the one I wrote about a few days ago, Matti, little brother’s lab bit him) and that while it had been healing so nicely, darn it. Middle sister and I tried to remove some of the accumulating liquid yesterday afternoon. We had taken him into the old pool (he’d stumbled into it already earlier that day, so we decided not to risk another tumble into the deep end) and wedged him up against the wall to treat the spot with a syringe. Removed about forty cc before he started to complain, and gave middle sister the evil eye. He obviously considered me (the one with the needle) above reproach and decided that sister dear was the one to blame for the discomfort. He gave a few ferocious growls, at which point we decided to let him go. Indignant he pranced around for a bit and then sought out a high perch from which he could further witness the proceedings.

I’ve gotta say that Knight II really is a peculiar creature. Quite particular in his ways and more than a little temperamental, to say it mildly. Though I love him to pieces, he is a handful that’s a fact. It doesn’t help, of course, that he’s like a friggin’ elephant in a china cupboard. Gawd, so much strength and energy, is exhausting.

Imagine this, I head out into the yard, Knight II notices and dashes right past me to see if there’s any dog outside that he can bug.
Once sure that he’s got the other pack members properly subdued, he’ll do an about face and come storming towards me at top speed. Now, I’ve come to recognize the theme, so I can brace myself by turning sideways and holding out an arm to grab his collar when he makes an attempt at putting his paws up against me. Usually I can hold him at a three feet distance with dire warnings, but he’s sneaky that way, he’ll jump up against me when I least expect it…which means I get to have a solid 140 pounds slammed into me full force. Ah yes, the joys of a young Great Dane. Seriously, you haven’t had a DOG (yes, with capital letters) unless you’ve had a Dane. It’s a priceless experience of endurance and perseverance.

But anyways, seeing as the removal of liquids didn’t do much good yesterday, we’re going to have to do apply a method that is a bit more drastic soon. A small incision with a scalpel underneath the orange sized lump should drain that sucker right out…I hope.
Considering we have to remove Njanna’s stitches too tonight is promising to be a “medical” evening for us. Hah.

Groceries…yes, well, they were like usual, and we would actually have been home after just four hours for a change, if we hadn’t been obliged to pick up Clue who received up to ten stitches in his flank. Since the cut had happened so recently, it doesn’t look like it is going to be much of a problem. Once it’s healed, he should be right as rain.

Writing has been a trial these days, a page or two per day, which is really bugging me. Time and focus just aren’t part of the bigger scheme of things at the moment, or so it seems. Ah well, that too shall pass, I’m sure.

Except for the paint job and adding a rock or two more, the new glass seedbed is done…and looking mighty fine, I might add. As soon as the paint is on, I’ll post a pic to show it off. Hah. The seeds were sowed too, so who knows, we might actually get us some veggies in about three months, or so.

Other than that, yesterday involved lots of shoveling of dirt, both for the seedbed, as well as removing it from the tiles underneath the new structure. I think the amount went up to a solid seven wheelbarrows of the moist stuff that piled nicely high in the containers, hah.

The younger sibs worked some more on the wood for the woodpile, removing greens and such, and grandpa finally finished cutting up all the debris in the paddock for firewood. The pile had been a thorn in our eye for several years, but he was determined to get through it at last, and managed to do so in two days of constant sawing. It’s looking good. Guess I’m going to have to make a picture of that too.

Afterwards, (I’d already forgotten that we had agreed to go, so…aaargh) it was time for big brother and I to head out for our run. Did a splendid one, even if I do say so myself. Took the dug out hill with pits and falls, with only two walk-pace breathers along the way, and then did a nice jog on the asphalt road around the area. I find it rather remarkable that I can now do flat roads without loosing my breath, never would have thought that possible a year or two ago. Felt nice and limber afterwards and more than ready to work on the computer for the rest of the night.

There were the exercises with our tenant, of course. Her arm is doing relatively well, still “lazy” as she refers to it, hah, but slowly showing progress by responding every now and then. Also, her walking is going really well now, even though it is of course still tiring, and her balance is improving by bounds, I think.

And I better quit now, I still have my messages to go through, and then go through the day’s tasks, since the only thing I have done so far is laundry…besides, Chaos is standing beside my chair, insistently prodding me to head outside, the way we usually do these days. Poor Basset Hound, how’s he supposed to sniff out every speck of dirt outside if he’s cooped up inside with me? Hah.

No comments: