Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Small things

Song of the day: “If I die young” by the Band Perry. Strange huh, but this song keeps going through my head a lot. Guess it’s an easy enough one (and a fun one) for my brain to get stuck on it.

Busy couple of days again (I know, I’m getting predictable) but the busyness had nothing to do with a big project, just lots of little stuff that took time more than anything.

There was editing, of course, but that I going slow and steady, with little change and little enjoyment on my part. Seriously, editing definitely sucks the fun out of the whole writing bizz…but it is a necessary evil, I suppose. Since writing is something I have chosen to do, and which I enjoy tremendously and wouldn’t stop doing unless someone held a hand to my head…well, I might stop for that…no I wouldn’t. Hah.

But back to the day…or more accurately, yesterday.
First off there was Sally’s bed. Apparently she’d slept dreadfully because the bed was too soft, so grandpa and I went down to take the springs out of the contraption. After that we put in a board instead, which, as it turns out today, works just fine. She slept a lot better this night. Phew. Such a relief.

Lack of storage is driving me absolutely bonkers, so we created some extra shelving in my cabin…or, let me introduce you to Ox (yes, that’s a fake name, duh), who has agreed to feature in the blog from now on. *snort* Sorry, but it took me forever to get him to agree to let me write about his visits (he helps out with project every now and then). He isn’t sure yet, so I’m going to include him a few times and let him decide. Okay?
Ox is a friend, and has been gradually getting used to DIYing over the past half year or so.
Yesterday he helped with the shelving, and will probably be around helping with building my new bed some time soon.

I never realized how much folks have with being written about like this. Seriously, you can’t imagine how often a friend says, “don’t write about this” etc, etc. Very frustrating. I really have to skip quite a bit of the days, just because they don’t want to be included. *sigh*

Okay, enough complaints. On with the rest. There was another rock hauling trip, wheeling sand down the mountain (still great exercise) and on the overall, just going back and forth, which the dogs absolutely adore. Amri will be running ahead of me, not caring a fig that the wheelbarrow and I are gathering speed and right on his heels. It’s almost as if he’ll be crowing: “Come on boss. Come on! I’ll race ya.”
Bonkers, I tell ya. Hah.

I’ve also be playing herbalist today, working on a potion for Labhana to see if I can get a swelling down. I’ll let you know how it works out. She got her first treatment tonight. I’ve gotta say I felt very witchy doing it. And the color. Seriously, the liquid turned into a hellish green color that literally hurts the eyes, and the smell…oh boy.

The majority of the afternoon was spent cleaning out the igloo (fungi aplenty there) sorting through the mess, putting in pallets to keep stuff (mattresses, pillows, suitcases, etc) from the floor. It took several hours, but in the end we stored everything that was salvageable back inside and closed the door to head over to the greenhouse where we had to redo some of the grout work over Sally’s room. Weather channel’s predicting rain come Sunday. This took about an hour, considering big brother had to use the angle grinder to get the old grout-work out.

My wrist is still giving me fits every now and then. It’s not funny, but it would seem that whenever one problem resolves itself, another one pops up. Very annoying. Hah.

What else? Well, there was laundry of course. But that’s not interesting in the least. There was also cleaning, which is even more boring, I guess, so we’ll have to make due with the rather delicious cauliflower soup I made this morning. It was delicious and so simple to make. 2 cauliflowers, 1 onion, 1 leek, some broth, two carrot and two potatoes. I just let it boil for several hours and voila. Lunch all done.

Tenant joined us again, of course. She walked all the way down with her caretaker this morning, and then I walked her back all the way up. Which is incredibly good for her. It makes her body work properly, tires her (guaranteeing a good night’s rest) and gives her pride. And she’s getting so much better at the walking bit…also the standing straight, which was so very hard for her in the beginning. *sigh*

First zucchinis are growing in the greenhouse, by the way. So beautiful, not to mention exciting. Added to that, we will be eating our first lettuce from in there within the next week, I think. I’m psyched about that.

Well, I’ve got another editing session ahead of me, so I better get to it.

No comments: