Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

New project? I think so.

Song of the day: “Love is in the air” by...hmmm, will have to look that up. Ah, John Paul Young. Okay. For some reason I’ve been thinking about “Strictly Ballroom” a lot. I really need to see that movie again some day. *sigh*

Okay, let’s get this over with. There is still some work to do on the in-between project, but on the overall it is done, yay, yay and YAY! It turned out all right, nice characters (however short the story), good, rounded story, and great setting. I’m definitely going to keep my mind open for a full length novel in the 1920s. It would be fascinating, really, bootlegging, mooch, goons, and tommy-guns. *sigh* Can it get any better than that?

Ah well, what else? Gardening, of course. Tomatoes in the greenhouse are really turning red now. Seriously, we’ve had several already, but by now we’ve got like fifteen almost done, along with a daily dose of cherry tomatoes. Yay! Got our first real batch of strawberries, meaning yogurt with cream, sugar and pieces of strawberries through it. Absolutely yummy and hopefully there’ll be another batch in the near future for more of that goodness.

Also had our first batch of broccoli, which was unlike any broccoli I ever tasted before. It was tender, almost sweet and nicely crunchy. Seriously, I was never a big fan of broccoli (cauliflower is more my thing) but this way, I can definitely eat it. Hah.

Had to build a couple of constructions of reed for the green beans that are shooting up into the air. Seriously, they barely got high enough to reach the first horizontal stem I put up when I place it the day before yesterday, and just this morning I saw that they’ve already grasped on. That means they grew over three inches in two days, for crying out loud.

Today is fondue day, by the way, on an old champagne base, no less, so that’s going to be interesting at least. Gotta get rid of that champagne one way or other, and the way I figure, it might as well be this way.

There was sand hauling in the past couple of days. Seeing as big brother and I might get a job this summer, we really gotta double on that sort of thing, rather than risk running out while we are too busy doing other stuff. Though the job (if we get it) will be a tough one (digging out a basement) four hours a day, five days a week, it’s going to be interesting to see if we’ll manage it. Guess I’ll have to keep you posted whether or not it is going to go through.

Right, new project is in the making. No, not the writing kind, but more like the building kind. The problem at the moment is that the temporary shower cell that we build in ‘98 is really running on its last legs, meaning that we’ll be without a bathroom soon. Yikes. That is not good, so besides the wall, a genuine bathroom has been shoved higher onto the priority list. The place that used to be the dog-food kitchen, has now been designated as the future bathroom This means that we need to break out the old (chest high) bath tub. It is a relic from back in the day when we still only had fifty dogs, and when we still could make healthy food for them. *sigh* We had so much less cancer with the dogs when they got home made food. Darn it.

But anyway, we have to break out the old bath tub, chop out old tiling, put in a door and post, and cut out a part of the wall for a window. Then we put in a shower-cell, plumbing, maybe a wash-basin, big closet for towels and everything. Easy as pie...or at least it would be, whenever we could squeeze in a hour or two here and there.

Another thing is that we’re going to have to spend some time in the courtyard, clearing out clutter, so we have space to hang up this big shelving section that will cover the entire wall, if we’re lucky.
That should allow for some serious storage, hopefully. But then, knowing us, it’ll be so full soon, that we’ll end up having to make more of the shelving after all. Aaargh.

Scary thing yesterday is that we found a massive amount of termites near the storage. Turns out a stack of our wood was infected with the buggers, so we sprayed the pile with anti-insect stuff, and hauled the wood as far away as possible from our supplies. Jeez. Let’s hope we got it all, because let’s face it, if that stuff gets into the house we’d be sooooo screwed! We looked the buggers up on the Net this morning, and jeez. Talk about horror. Did ya know that their “queen” is the same as the queen of Alien (you know the movies, right). I’m not kidding. I saw a picture of this fly-sized bug, with a sack the size of a hand behind her. Yowsa! Suddenly the Alien concept is no longer as original as I always thought it was. Hah. Just kidding.

Last night I had a really good work-out session of an hour and a half. Sure I was properly sore this morning, but it was a good session anyway. I’m getting better at the bag-pounding. Heck, the fabric is even starting to show wear, and I’ve already had to repair it with duct tape. Very “real” boxing gym look. Hah. I’m proud to say that I can now do eight push ups, which is like totally unheard of for me.

I did manage to do a bit of writing on the new project, which is good, seeing as the in-between is as good as done. It should stave off the post writing blues a bit at least. The characters are gradually taking shape, and that is an auspicious beginning any day. Hah.

Okay, I’ve got a letter to write, maybe some more novel writing to get down, and this fondue to digest before it comes back up. Yikes. I ate way too much that’s a fact.

No comments: