Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Smut or realism?

Song of the day: “Hold my hand” by Michael Jackson, of course. Splendid song. Such a pity that there won’t be any new stuff anymore. *sigh*

Luckily I am in a far better mood than the last time, today. Frustration bubbled down during the passing of time, and we are once again back to editing. Sure, there are times when I either want to bash the computer, or big brother. Hah. But anyway, that is only a temporary problem, and now I’m right as rain again.

So the past couple of days were mostly busywork, involving another trip to town, which I could have done without, thank you very much. But I’m getting ahead of myself, aren’t I, let’s start with yesterday and work our way to today.

I overslept, of course. It is a common effect of summer, really, but I hate it. It made me rush through all the morning rituals, do the laundry and then head on up to tag my canning. Got a nice big load going now, with a bit of diversity, which will keep meals in winter interesting. Got myself green beans, tomatoes (of course), pumpkin, zucchini, pickles, and peppers. Added to that we have a whole bunch of beautiful pumpkins that will see us through to January, or February. Gawd, I love preparing for winter that way. Makes me feel very much in touch with nature. Hah.

That done, I took the opportunity to spray clean my winter comforter. It was seriously necessary, what with last winter, but I think it worked out well. It smells all nice again, and the worst of the discolouring is gone. Now I’m going to let it hang and sun bleach for a bit, and then it will be ready for use again. Yay.

Afterwards I headed on up to tenants place because for the past couple of days grandpa and I have been working on her new ceiling. Yesterday, grandpa, Danni and I, took out the old ceiling, (boy, did a mess come down. Yikes!) and sawed a load of MDF boards that needed to be painted today, but weren’t (long story, I’ll get to it later on). It took a while, the sawing, but we did get it all done before six in the afternoon when it was time for me to stop for the day and get to work on the edit.

Due to the little mishap the other day, big brother and I decided that he’s going to do the S.N. edit separate from me, and then we’ll go over it together, rather than me sitting around while he’s working on a sentence. While he’s working on S.N. I’m going through the first edit of V.L., rather than just twiddle my thumbs.

Which reminds me, due to the fact that I’m seriously pondering of changing my genre, (got to thinking due to an internet buddy who read S.N.) I’ve been reading some thrillers at the moment and I’ve got to say I’m not impressed. Seriously, this particular book (I’m not saying names because I don’t want this to become a bash fest) makes me wonder if the writer is obsessed with sex. I’m not kidding, here I’ve always heard derogatory remarks about my favorite genre (romance), and yet, now that I’m giving the average thriller section a try, I’m tumbling from one sex-laden scene to the next.

Seriously, if I were to believe this book, the writer must have been suffering from a perpetual hard-on. (Such a sad condition for a guy to be in, really. Must make life very uncomfortable.)

I am reading this story with a mix of awe and horror, really. Here we have a brutal murder, a genuine who-dunnit, and yet, every ten pages or so I have to read about this person “doing” that one, people talking about “it”, people thinking about “it” and not being particularly picky about it all. Happily married couples are easily pondering promiscuity, in-laws are just a little too appreciative of each other, people go from same-sex to what I’m suspecting is necrophilia and…well, I’ll repeat, I’m not impressed. *sigh*

I will say that I won’t take this fine sample of writing as my main example in the genre, because then I’d be pretty much doomed. Hah. And then they dare to say that romances are only about sex. Jeez! Nothing against sex if done tastefully and kept in its place (preferably between the two leads only, and not too much described, thank you very much) but not with the so-called realism of this particular author who lost complete sight of a vastly interesting plot.
For the most part this reads like smut, while pretending to be realistic. Sure, sex is on a lot of people's minds, but not THAT much...I hope. *sigh*

But back to reality.
There were dips in the pool, another short harvesting session, and this very morning a trip to town.

The other day we acquired a new jackhammer, and after it turned out to be non-functional, we exchanged it for another one during the weekend. Now, when that one turned out to be broke as well, you can imagine our chagrin for having to return to town this very morning. Now, what really got my knickers in a twist was that the store refused to give us a refund and would only give us another of the mal-functioning lot. Since we didn’t have much of a choice in any regard, we just finally took the new jackhammer and left, hoping that this one was the last of the bad batch.

It was. Big brother made sure to check it out immediately after we got home, and while grandpa and I resumed sawing for tenant’s ceiling (the decorative slats this time) he made a nice start on the concrete that needed to be tackled up by the old horse paddock.

The weather was pleasantly hot today, even though the increasingly shortening of the days is making it blatantly clear that summer is rapidly coming to an end, darn it.
Well, big brother is impatiently waiting for me to get this blog done so we can get started and maybe manage a short workout tonight. I sure hope so.

No comments: