Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

To link, or not to link?

Song of the day: “The flood” by Katie Melua. It’s been in my head off and on most of the day.

Small stuff on the most part, involving time more than effort and keeping me busy as heck. Yesterday morning started off (after the usual stuff) with a nice session in the greenhouse transplanting a few tomato seedlings, broccolis, cauliflower, red cabbage, white cabbage and kale. I love working in the greenhouse like that, it is very calming. You just fill pots with dirt, dig little holes, take out tiny plants and tuck them gently in. Very soothing, I’ll admit.

That done, and considering grandpa finished turning earth for another potato patch last night, I headed down to the lower terrace to plant potatoes with big brother. It was a dirty job, but someone had to do it. Hah. Seriously, though. Since I should be walking barefoot a lot these days, I had an excellent opportunity to get up to my ankles in freshly turned earth, which was rather nice. Strangely enough I don’t feel my espolon when I’m barefoot, which is for me an excellent reason to get my feet dirty. Rather have dirt than pain, thank you very much.

There was a load of weeding going on. The Morning Glory vine is going everywhere, and it has been smothering the oleander and the solanum bush. Poor plantsies. They practically lost all their leaves to the vines from hell. The potatoes planted, and the sun pounding down nice and hot, I set up a fence around the new patch, determined to protect it against the nutty dogs who think it is smart to use newly turned earth as a race track. Hah

Plants had to be watered, naturally. Since big brother did the most of that, I could focus mostly on the potatoes and their protection.

Tenant spent most of the afternoon down there too, sitting on the big terrace in the shade of the small cluster of poplar trees that we decided to leave there. She cut a batch of yellow, barely ripe tomatoes, which I made into a soup for the dogs. They love that kind of stuff. Reminds them of the good old days, I think, when we still made dogfood ourselves.

By the time I headed up to start making lunch, I made a short detour to chop down a mid-sized, diseased poplar that needed to be taken out. Chopping down trees makes me sad on the most part. There’s this tree, doing its darnest to grow, going up and wide, and then there’s this stupid human (me) and bham. Off with its trunk. Sad, I tell ya. But then, this is a dog eat dog world, and only the fittest survive and considering I had an axe and knew how to use it, I was fitter. *sigh*

Another snake scare, this time in the courtyard. We had to coral the darn thing, and even wedge it between two shovels before we could get it in a bucket for a quick trip far-far away. Jeez, that was a fast bugger. Slightly greenish, an inch and a half at the thickest part and about 2 and a half feet long. Seriously, those things still scare the crap outta me. I’m surprised I didn’t dream about them last night.

But anyway, the snake back to nature, I went back to the outside kitchen for cooking. For supper we had vegetable burgers with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and pepper, along with a small portion of the day before yesterday’s macaroni.
It went down well after working hard, and since I really didn’t mind sitting a bit longer, we finally got around to sorting through the many bags of dried herbs that I’d been postponing for weeks now. Got quite a bit, and only two of the bags were spoiled due to improper saving.

At the moment we are going through another tick plague. Not as bad as earlier this year yet, but still, bugging amounts to say the least. They make me wanna scream, while being addicting at the same time. Whichever dog passes me get’s a thorough search, and thankfully they consider it a petting. Hah.

Edited the evening away, of course, and though I had planned on a quick workout session, I was so close to falling asleep at the end of the day, that I decided to go to be early instead…early being half an hour, which was a blissful half hour, if you must know.

Today, after the usual morning rituals, laundry and blissful coffee, there was nothing on the schedule for yard work. Instead we headed up to tenant’s place…well at least grandpa and big brother did, and I took tenant down to my terrace where she kept me company while tagging the canned prickly pear syrup and compote. That done, I checked the canning storage, making sure none of the pots had gone open or were turning bad (they hadn’t) and then headed for my cabin to do some much needed cleaning. Seriously every available horizontal surface has gradually become so full, that I didn’t even see the piece of furniture anymore. Ergo, the cleaning.

Put all my clean clothes away, sorted through the dirty, changed my bed sheets, wiped the floors and if I remember to do my bathroom one of these days, my cabin will be as good as new. Yay. Knight II sure liked the clean bed. He jumped on it immediately and started rubbing his big bony body all over it. Crazy loon! Wanna bet that Chaos will do the same tonight? Hah.

That done (took me about three hours for crying out loud) I headed for the carport to help big brother glue together wooden slats for tenant’s apartment ceiling. Sure the ceiling was closed months ago but there are plinths, and decorative beams to add still. Grandpa has been doing a lot of it, but there are still some things that we just want to do ourselves. After doing the biggest gluing job, and since big brother could take it on his own from there, I headed up to grandpa’s place to cook some supper. Nothing fancy, just something simple and earthy. I love a got stew.

While we were working on the woodwork for tenant, mom and the sibs got home from market day. They had pretty good earnings today. Mom’s purses/bags, dog beds and musical instrument bags are going extremely well, so yay. Glad to see that she’s having a grand time of it.

Well, this ought to do it for today’s blog, I guess. I am at the moment pondering the acceptance of a link placement right here on the page. It was requested politely, and the site appeared legit, but I’m still not sure. I never did much like advertising (heck, I almost think that putting my own books down here is a bit too much, but what the hey) and though I agreed to do a link exchange with the dude who wanted a link to his carport manufacturing site, I would hate to end up filling the entire page up with ads. I know it is all “the thing” these days, making money with clicks, links, and whatnots, but I’m old fashioned that way. *sigh*

We’ll have to see what tomorrow brings, eh.

No comments: