Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Funny grandpa

Song of the day: “Rapper’s delight” by the Sugar Hill Gang. We looked it up the other day and it’s been going through my head ever since.

Yesterday started out pretty sore. It was chilly during the night, so Knight II, Chaos and Sitabah thought it a good idea to press up against me during the night, resulting in me lying in all sorts of weird bends and angles to prevent falling off the bed. *sigh* Nice and warm, sure, but my back was absolutely killing me.

The workout was good for getting those disks back in line, but the discomfort did persist for a bit as I started on the day after a quick shower and hanging of the laundry, of course.

While having breakfast pumpkin soup was prepared for supper, creating a rather creamy mixture that smelled up the small kitchen really well. What followed was the unloading of the car. Only a small donation, but you can hardly be picky. Every little bit helps.

A small arm chair had to be carried down next. Do you know what happens when you lift up a 40 pound chair (about twenty dogs around your feet) and broken staples sticking out, right there under your middle and ring finger? It wasn’t pleasant I tell you, and what with the dogs under me, I could not drop the darn thing to check out the damage. Nope. Instead I had to shift my fingers (the staples still piercing skin) as not to loose hold. Now imagine what happens with skin then. It wasn’t pretty, I tell ya, but in the end no harm done. I iodined the lot, sprayed oxidized water over it and then bandaged the lot

Next I gathered tools and such before heading down to the basin terrace.
Sally needed some shelving in her room, and wanted to have a lampshade replaced by a white one. Big brother worked on the electricity, adding a three-way plug to her room.

There were several moldy spots on her walls, so we couldn’t postpone it any longer. What with Dani there for the day, we took out a hammer and a chisel and started taking out the old grout work. No easy task, I tell ya, but also not bad since the weather was still wonderful (the sun was out and tenant sat with us, enjoying herself in the warmth).

It took several hours, in all. And at some point we decided that it would be a good idea to test out if we could use the high pressure air gun to clean the strips we’d cleared. Grandpa went up to get the machine while we chopped, scrubbed and scraped some more. After several minutes he returned with the hose spindle and…well, I’ve got to do a dialogue here.

Me (to Dani): “Ah, there he is.” We both turn
Grandpa: “Got it.”
Me: “Good.” Wondering about the winch with hose he carried.
Grandpa: “There you go.” Setting the winch down, and turning away.
I clear my throat.
Me: “What about the machine?” He stops, his back towards us for a moment, and then turns to look at the winch.
Grandpa: “Darn! That completely skipped my mind.”

Seriously, Dani and I almost doubled over with laughter as he headed back up the mountain mumbling to himself all the while. Hah.

While we were working on the grout work of the terrace that also serves as Sally’s roof Big brother and grandpa spent the majority of the day in the yard turning earth and planting seedlings. The potatoes are so not liking the rain that was there. Better hope that the weather persists just a few more days, because one more rain and we can kiss the first potato field goodbye. Disease is raging rampant.

Finished the workday, after the grout work was done, by close the greenhouses and heading up the mountain for another edit, and some review reading. I know the review is going incredibly slow, but the book is 318 pages long and I do want to do it justice.

In the end it turned out that we were both too tired for a proper edit, so after a few pages we decided to give up for the night and tried to get to bed early. Of course then I still had to feed my dogs, clean up my cabin a bit, and all those nightly rituals that take so much time. I was lucky to get six and a half hours last night, for crying out loud!

Another workout this morning, which went well, and barefoot despite the chill. What with my foot playing up so much, I decided I rather have the foot cold than painful, and am noticing some improvement as of today, thank you very much.

There were the morning chores, followed by breakfast and heading on up to the old horse paddock where I set up a pallet to work on today. Time to get tenant’s stove ready. Grandpa already went through the trouble of cleaning it proper these past couple of days, so I just had to set it on the pallet and start painting it. What with the rust already starting on the old, cheap paint, we decided to go for black with gray for the loose elements like the small lid, grating, paws and adjuster for contrast. It looks good. At least it did after I painted it, and the tubing completely black.
Sure it still has to be put in, but tenant will be able to use it once the temperatures start dropping. Yay.

While I was doing the painting and keeping tenant company (caregiver was at her other job) big brother was working on the new grill he’s designing for the little stove. What with the cheapness of the design, some adjustments are necessary. We noticed as much last winter.

I cooked dinner of mixed veggies with lentil pancakes on the side. Not bad at all, despite being incredibly “hot” from the spicy pepper that somehow ended up in the dish. We are still not sure where it comes from, but it happens more often…and that while we test the stupid peppers before using them. So weird that there are parts of the peppers that are jot sharp at all, while others will make you run for water.

Did a bit of organizing afterward and then drove Sally to work, since her bus doesn’t come by at the right time on Tuesday. Since the trip only takes me about fifteen minutes, I don’t mind all that much.

Went to the yard afterward, checking everything for caterpillars, snails, and leaf miners, all of which were a lot of. Next I closed the greenhouses, checked everything and went back up to start on today’s edit, of which half if already done, and the blog.

All done. Hah.

No comments: