Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Making a new roof...sorta

Song of the day: “Never no more” by Patsy Cline. I’m having a lot of classics in my head these days. Like yesterday, I had Jackie Wilson’s “Reet Petite” which is hilarious, not to mention infectious. It’ll just keep going, and going and going.

Right. Let’s get to it. It’s been a long day and I’m tired, and I still have to edit. It’s not going as fast as I want to, but at least we’re making progress, in particular for a first edit. I mean really, have you ever read a rough draft of any story? Like the completely unedited stream of consciousness of an author. Well, let me tell you. It’s like making a sword. The first draft is like that first stick of metal hot from the coals. Once that’s there, you’ve got a hone it, hammer it, and hammer it some more. Then you gotta shape it, sharpen it, polish it and then, in the end, after months and months of work, maybe, just maybe you might have something nice to look at.

Ooh, I like that analogy. I’m going to save it. Hah.

So okay, yesterday: I had a dream, and it was in fact quite apocalyptic. By now I don’t remember all that much of it anymore...if I don’t jot it down immediately, I won’t be able to remember it at all. Which was the case in this instance. It was impressive, however. I wouldn’t mind seeing that in a movie...or at least that is the impression the dream left me with.

Before starting on the day...that is, after workout, a shower, and laundry, of course...I first had to send out a message that I just couldn’t postpone any longer. That done there was breakfast, followed by starting to get together stuff for grandpa’s new porch roof. He’s been complaining somewhat fierce about getting wet when it rains (his connection to kitchen and bathroom is through the outside) so we figured we might as well change plans a little and put that transparent roof up.

While we were at it, we decided to also get the replacement beam ready for the one that’s infested with termites. Got a good start by the end of the day, and the new beam (had to get a replacement for the replacement because oddly enough it had the same problem) was ready for painting.

The weather is slowly turning, by the way. We’ve been having heavy clouds rolling in constantly and a rolling thunder in the distance about twice a day. Did manage to work a bit on the embroidery frame I’m trying to make for tenant. I do hope that it works and that she can do something with it. Sometimes I worry about her wanting to feel more useful.

Had to go to town for some groceries and hardware store supplies. It is rather disturbing to see prices rise practically everywhere. Makes me worry about the future for sure. Ah well, nothing to do about it, is there. We’ll just have to wait and see what the future brings.

Got home for a late edit, which didn’t go all that bad except for the fact that I was so friggin’ tired I could barely keep my eyes open. Hah. Finally got to bed (didn’t manage to do much good around midnight anyway) and conked out long enough to feel refreshed this morning when it was time to get up for today’s workout.

It went well. Time passed really fast, and by the time I was done I had developed a nice sweat, which is what counts when you’re doing a workout. Hah.

What followed was the morning chores and then working on grandpa’s roof again. Replaced the beam...and found another infested one, darn it. Will have to replace that soon too...after finishing with wood filler and paint, and put the last roof sections up.

Since the sibs already loaded up the car for the market on Sunday, I had to improvise with the repair job for mom’s purse stand. Rather than make the replacements the same as the last ones, I made singular sticks they can put in, hoping that it will stay in place. If not, I’ll have to figure something else out.

There was the yard, of course, checking the plants for caterpillars (buggers are still there, darn it) watering some things, and generally just enjoying being out in the yard for a bit. Found three more pumpkins, yay, one of which was used for today’s supper.

Did a wonderful experiment with my vegie patties, with slices of baked pumpkin on them, covered by a cream and cheese sauce with mushrooms, peppers and onions. It was yummy, even though I am once again hungry. *sigh* My stomach is just a bottomless pit these days. Hah.

Last bit would be a dog tidbit. First of all we shaved Carla, whose hair has been matting for a while now. Also, we discovered he had a bad ear infection, meaning we had to clean it...which drove him absolutely bonkers for a while, I felt forced to give him an anti-inflammatory, ‘cause I was afraid he was going to give himself a heart attack. Poor Carla. He’s quiet now.

Chaos wanted on the bed again...he really doesn’t like the cold. When I checked on him earlier he barely even raised his head and this eyelids were all wrinkled around his eyes in his attempt to keep them open and look at me. In the end he gave up, and dropped his head back on the bed, rubbing into it and promptly falling back to sleep. Lazy effing Basset. Hah.

Knight II, and most of my other dogs have discovered the pleasure of the wood-stove. Seriously, we’ve got about twenty dogs clustered around it at the moment, all of them as close as they can possibly get so the heat rolls over them in waves. It’s quite a sight in fact...not to mention difficult to navigate through for us poor bipedal creatures.

Well, I better see about something to eat, and then it’s edit time, again. Aaah.

No comments: