Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A short announcement

Song of the day: …well, there were several going through my head today. Some Patsy Cline, some Doris Day, and The Beautiful South. Strangely enough, my head insisted on a song without actually settling on one.

Right. I have a bit of news. An author I met some years ago (online, mind you) has bagged herself a contract with a publisher, and I was asked to do another review of her book, along with an interview. I said yes, of course. It was a good book, and it will be interesting to see what changes have been made. Also, I put together a nice bunch of questions that you should find interesting and hopefully a little funny at least. We’ll see how it goes, and I’ll keep you informed, naturally. Hah.

So let’s get to yesterday first…wait a minute, I gotta change my position. I’m freezing so I’ll…yep, sitting with my back towards the stove now, less than a couple of feet away, thank you very much. I think my back is warm for the first time today. Yay. We’re having some seriously nippy weather. Low forties at most.

But where was I. Right, yesterday. Around eight it was just too cold and windy to do a proper workout so I called big brother and suggest we get an extra hour of sleep instead. Since he wholly agreed, we actually got close to seven hours of sleep yesterday, which was, like, AWESOME.

The day started a little late for that reason, but since we had to go to town anyway (some DIY supplies and groceries) I didn’t mind all that much. Luckily we were back in less than three hours, giving us a bit of time yet to do stuff.

There was the wheelbarrow-ing of rocks down to the house, so we could start storing them on the edge of the terrace. If we want to start building on the wall again one of these days, we’re going to have to make the effort of getting rocks down there so we have something to work with.

Didn’t get a lot done, five to six wheelbarrows at most, since by then it was time to start on supper, which would consist out of soy beans and fresh veggies. Though very different from the ones I usually make, the recipe was definitely a successful one. I am playing with the idea of putting the patties in my cookbook as well.

Tenant for one really enjoyed the endeavor. She helped cut the veggies, and then we chatted while making the burgers themselves. I’ve found that she really gets a kick out of such things. I noticed the same while we were canning. I think it reminds her of when she was a little girl, and she would sit at her grandmother’s kitchen table watching her make meals.

While tenant and I were working on supper, big brother and grandpa worked on the roof that had to be altered so the rain wouldn’t wreck it again. They brought the front down two inches to get a better angle, and prepared for the next step (for today) before stopping for the day.

Together with caregiver I got two wheelbarrows and one big basket of wood from storage, and then went down to the house to help big brother install the last thing of the woodstove for the house. Fit like a glove, and we both stood in front of the thing staring at the glass front to see smoke gather inside, and then the first licking flames burst forth as we started it’s virgin fire. Not bad, and apparently really warm. In fact the sibs are already complaining that it is getting to hot on the second floor, hah.

Chaos ate too much, and so did Tadaika, we had a little treat for them during their dinner, and yikes, they were animals digging in. Chaos has been digesting most of today, and could barely get up the stairs. Seriously, I’m going to have him skip a couple of meals before I let him in with the pack again. Jeez.

Only managed a short edit, seeing as I did spend some time putting together those questions for the interview and send them out. Sure, I could wait, read them over twenty more times, but I really don’t like dallying over such things. The way I figure, I and the author have better stuff to do then mulls such things over too much. It’s supposed to be a bit of fun after all. In the end it is the book that matters most.

So there was a short edit, and then it was off to bed, slightly earlier than the day before that, but still too late for me to get more than six hours of sleep. No matter though. Started with a solid workout this morning despite the cold and wind that made me feel frozen through and through. Did do the workout, and that’s what matters in the end, doesn’t it.

There was laundry of course, a solid batch too, since most of the full lines were dry after all that wind.
That done, it was up to grandpa’s kitchen where I made a batch of fresh cream cheese, and pancakes for breakfast because grandpa forgot to take a bread from the freezer for us. That dealt, it was down to rearrange some of the storage spaces, and then the greenhouse to check for bugs.

Big brother replaced broken glass in there while I headed out into the yard to check the rest of the plants, and then helped big brother rearranging the sagging rubber strips holding the glass in place. By then the sun was wonderfully warm, in particular because there was no wind there. Since we were busy anyway, we planted some tomatoes in the lean-to. The peppers aren’t doing all that well. I think they don’t like the short days.

Next, while grandpa and Dani worked on a set of drawers on the terrace (keeping tenant company to boot) big brother and I worked on grandpa’s roof again. We put in two new supports to prevent bending, and prepared crossbeams to add tomorrow.

Knight II, Sitabah, and Dax were cold most of today. I resorted to locking them up in my cabin just to have them warm up a little. Seriously, you’d think they’d be smart and head on inside, but no, they have to be where I am. Hah.

Then there was supper again, thin schnitzel kind of patties, with mac&cheese, which went down well, despite that I didn’t eat enough because big brother ate most of it while I was out to bring Sally to work. Apparently the idiot thought I’d already eaten, darn it. I’m starving!
Luckily big brother is frying stuff. Yay.

That done, I headed out into the chilly afternoon wind to get a batch of wood for the stove and then was more than happy to call it a day and settle behind my computer. Boy, was I ready. Now, only an edit to go and then another day bites the dust.

That’s it. I’m outta here.

No comments: