Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The old days

Song of the day: “Next 2 you” again, by Chris Brown and Justin Bieber. It is a problem I have whenever I “discover” a new song that I like. It will haunt me for several days on end.

Been rather busy again (so what else is new, right?) but did find the time to go for a nice hike with Knight II the other day. Cousin Ed and her dog, and big brother went along as well, and it really was like the old days when we’d roam the countryside just because we could, hah. It was rather beautiful there, I’ll admit. A small river running down a gully of rock and red dirt. Reed everywhere. Some old oaks, carobs, and lots of broom growing all over the place, making getting through very interesting. Hah.
We followed this narrow path, sheer rock on one side, an abyss of approximately thirty feet on the other, and hiked all the way to the old homestead which was just barely visible from the starting point.
It was a rather big old ruin. All that was left of stables, three story main house, large courtyard and veranda, were crumbling walls and what appeared to be an ancient sewage system.
The dogs were wildly fascinated by the water (it was nice and hot during our walk. At one point Knight II kept trying to lying down in the bushes, only to jump up again when I continued on) and cousin Ed’s dog slid right off the rocks at one point and into the water. Luckily he didn’t appear to mind all that much.

Lotsa gardening. Yep, it’s that time of the year when the yard is going to take up more and more of our time, and I for one, love that part. Take today for instance. I spent most of the day in the yard and greenhouse. Sowed loads of pots with herbs for the summer. Basil, parsley, chives and a big container with onions. Since I was busy anyway, I also put in a batch of broccoli, while big brother took care of tomatoes. Within a few weeks the greenhouse should be teeming with young plants again, and since soon the young lettuces will be going out, there will be more than enough space.
There was watering again, since this is a particularly dry winter and we are more than a little psyched that we’re making so much use of the basin. That thing is really paying for itself right now. Hah.

Had a wonderful workout this morning, despite the effing foot making a nuisance of itself again. Even did an extra two rounds of punches just for the heck of it. Since I slept in yesterday morning, the way I figured some extra exercises wouldn’t go awry.

While walking the boarding dogs yesterday morning, big brother and I debated the marvels of taking apart the old bus at some point in the distant future. Now that would be a big job for sure. Imagine how much disks we’d need on the angle grinder, and how many bolts would have to be unscrewed…not to mention how much weight we’d end up lugging up the mountain (the bus is almost at the lowest level of a full acre). Hah. But anyway, it’s not like it’s important since that time isn’t there by a long shot yet.

The afternoon (yesterday) was used to build a balustrade by the stairs that lead down to the patio and mom’s room. She recently took a tumble and it was time to make something to which she could hold onto. It worked out rather well, actually. A good solid beam on the top, and two strong supports beside the stairs. Took us less than three hours to install the thing, and it looks good. Fits in quite well with the rest of he balustrades all through the yard. Hah.

Had a good edit last night. Managed a total of six pages…despite me getting totally distracted by the discussion forums on the ‘zon. Hah. Seriously, it was a little like the old days and I had the biggest fun joining in on this massive chat going on. They’re still at it, so I might be forced to head that way again soon.

There was a cooking session last night, of course (a girl’s gotta eat) and this morning, since there was no bread for a change, I made veggie burgers for later today and breakfast. It fell rather well, I’ve got to admit. Am looking forward to having it for supper with a hamburger sandwich and maybe some lettuce. Yum.

As for today, well, am only halfway through it, but there will be edits I assure you, food, maybe a little nap and a pickup of a donation later in the evening. (Darn it!) Other than that, this will have to do because I can’t think of anything else to share today…oh, except that we’re finally in the planning stages of the putting big terrace doors in my bedroom. Yay!

No comments: