Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

R.I.P. Manni

Song of the day: “Dream a little dream” by the Beautiful South. Considering I only got about five hours of sleep last night, it was cruel of my head to get stuck on this one. Hah.

Let’s start with the bad news and get it over with. One of the pack died. Yep. It was that time again. Age caught up with little sister’s Cocker Spaniel, Manni, who’d been with us since ‘98. Gawd, I remember the day we got him. He was about four months old and his breeder couldn’t get a home for him because one of his kids had carried the pup wrong when it was younger. It had caused a problem with his neck, making him tilt it awkwardly most of the time. Manni, on the day we picked him up, was locked in a tiny little cage and was peering around the corner at the strange people trying to catch a glimpse of him. He was a sweet little dog, black and white in color, timid sure, but incredibly loveable. He’ll be sorely missed, but age was eating at him, his body failing, so yesterday morning mom and little sister went to the vet to have the poor thing put out of his misery. It just wasn’t working anymore.

Then this morning we almost had another start. Mesha (another Cocker Spaniel) was unable to get up, and since his health has been a troubling thing for more than a year now, we did ponder for a bit to take him to the vet, but after a bit he managed getting up again, and the red alert was brought back to orange in regard to the black cocker.

But I’m getting ahead of myself, first there’s yesterday of which most of the day was spent in the yard. Tenant came down to the yard with me and cousin Ed who yanked weeds (loads of those) from amidst the veggies, harvested a solid load for the dog food and heightened the fence of the sugar peas by another foot or two.

Big brother harvested a big load of chard, which he would actually prepare for dinner after he and grandpa were done working in the kitchen. Of course we didn’t have time for an actual meal, since we had to go out for a pick up (and to drop Sally off at work), but what the heck, we ate it afterward once we got home and got to the edit. Managed only 8 pages, much to my regret, but eight pages is eight pages and always better than none (which will be the case today, darn it) is my estimation.

And though I am sure that there was more stuff that happened yesterday, I’m just going to skip to today.
Got up a little early to be able to do a workout, and actually succeeded. Yay. Did a solid hour and a half workout, which set a nice tone for the day.

Workout done, and with caregiver off to her other job, I headed up to help tenant into the car. Her daughter and family was picking her up for a day out and about, clearing some time for us. First thing we did after the normal chores and such was go down to the greenhouse to check for miners and caterpillars. After a short tour through the yard to make sure everything was alright, we went back up to start on the small platform for one of the new water reservoirs.

While big brother and grandpa started to dig for the foundation, I started hauling rocks down. Did a total of maybe 1400 pounds. Rocks that were basically too heavy to carry and took up a whole wheelbarrow. Did at least ten of those little trips before tenant returned. By then caregiver was back too, though, so I basically just said hello and went back down to continue with the small wall. Finished about a three quarters of the construction, so if we’re a little lucky we can poor the concrete tomorrow afternoon.

By the time the afternoon came to an end, we had to do another pick up, along with a few groceries to see us through the next few days, so we didn’t get back until after nine in the evening, darn it. Gawd, what with only sleeping so few hours, I’m seriously running on fumes by this time, so another edit tonight is definitely not going to work. I’ve a suspicion that I’m going to be seriously sore tomorrow, already my muscles are complaining.

Am playing a bit with an experiment in my head for a lemon cheesecake tomorrow, or the day after. I’ll let you know how it works out.

And that’s it for today. I’m going to call it a day, if ya don’t mind.

No comments: