Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Fun diversity

Song of the day: “Payphone” by Maroon 5. Funny song. Not really deep, or anything, but what else can you expect of an earworm.

It’s a good thing I wrote 6 pages yesterday, and another four the day before that, because my focus today appears to be flying all over the place. I’ve been trying to start on this friggin’ blog for more than an hour, and yet I’ve only managed these two small paragraphs. *sigh* Have a total of 237 pages, yay!

Right. Let’s get to it.
For the most part the day before yesterday, and yesterday, were pretty much par for the course. There was the writing bit…am at the moment in the middle of a rather intense scene set in 1936 in pre-war Paris. It is a rather sad piece of grand hopes and dreams being nipped in the butt. I got all teary, and since the plan is to write the scene to the climax today, I’m thinking I’m going to be unable to keep my eyes dry. *sigh*
It’s a good thing that this book will be all about the drama, ‘cause otherwise I’d be in trouble. Hah.

There was gardening, of course, which involved yanking out vines, weeds and whatnot to discover hiding beets and such, not to mention knee-high grass. Yikes. I was itchy all over afterward. Totally needed a dip thereafter. At the moment bed-time is a bit of a problem for me. I just can’t seem to manage to get there before one in the morning (shoot over it by at least an hour, sometimes two) meaning that getting up at my usual time is more than a little troublesome. I’m going to have to do something about that because I don’t like it. Mornings are extremely nice, and I would like to keep them.

Cutting dog food, naturally. I’m practicing speed with the cutting, which was interesting since I was about a millimeter away from chopping off the tip of my finger. Yeah, yeah, I know. I was definitely not the smartest of the litter with a stunt like that, but I promise I’ll be more careful in the future. I mean really, I managed to do the veggies in less than 20 minutes. That’s worth some risk, right? Hah.

I’ve taken to feeding Knight II extra in the evenings, because let’s face it, Mr anorexic is a horrible eater and refuses to take more than the absolute minimum with any meal meaning he’s going to get two stuffed down his throat. Silly dog.

So let’s discuss the market. Yep, it was that day of the week again (ergo my reason for being late with the blog) and we arrived about ten minutes late because we left late. No matter, though we managed to unload fast enough (an hour and a half) and were putting the final touches to our stand. Sold two bags in the first fifteen minutes of the market’s start to some nice Italian girls who made a sport of haggling a five Euro discount because they took two. Hah. They were nice about it, so I didn’t mind all that much.

There was loads of interest throughout the evening, clearly the regular Spanish customers are back, meaning that there was an interesting mélange of foreigners and locals alike. Lotsa Russians today, along with a somewhat depressed-looking young Russian mother, who loved the snugglies, but couldn’t talk her partner into buying one for her. Poor thing was all disappointed, and I just kept holding my breath while I watched her walk around with that tiny little baby, so fragile, as she made her way through a boisterous crowd. So dangerous.
Not only Russians, but also Italians, French, Germans and Israelis. So much diversity, it makes it fascinating to watch.

Woman kept lingering over the purses, fondling the fur, leather and fabrics with obvious affection, and a French woman almost buying one, if only the shoulder band had been a little shorter. *sigh* I should have taken a sewing set. Could have solved that problem easily.

There was a Scottish mom of two who loved the carrier bags for dogs. When I asked, she explained that she had a yorkie mix at home, and she seriously pondered a colorful red and yellow bag, before muttering something about “next time” before moving on…while throwing glances back.

Also a British couple showed some real interest in a dog carrier bag. They kept coming back, and looking at it, turning it over as the woman explained that she has two Chihuahuas and a yorkie that she would like a bag where she can carry all three of them at the same time.
She ended up with a Tika Art card and the promise of sending an email with sizes and instructions. We’ll see how that goes. Nice couple, though.

There was a couple of Spanish ladies interested in the light blue dog beds, who said they’d be back near closing time. Another woman who said the same thing, but they didn’t actually come bye until we were done packing and already on our way. Hah. No problem, waved cheerily at each other and I’m left to wonder if any of them will be back next week.

An American lady was fascinated by one of the quilts done in bright blue hues. She came back three times in total, until finally digging into her wallet and finding that she was 25 bucks short. If it had been ten, I would have let her and her son have it, but 25 is a lot, and is also not my choice. The prices are low compared to the hours of work that are put in it.

Lots of interest in my tie dye again, though no sales. A few close calls, though. Not that close counts, of course. What’s that saying again? “Close is like a lingerie shop without a window”. Still don’t know what that means, but what the heck, you get my meaning, right?

The photographer was walking around again, but he has definitely giving up on us and no longer asks if he can take our picture. Success. Didn’t chat with him last night (bet he was looking for easier prey, hah) but watched him have people pose this way and that, while urging them into more obvious poses of “displaying” their merchandise. I do have to say that folks don’t mind being photographed these days. In fact, most seem to revel in it. Makes me feel like the last shy person around. Hah.

All in all, it was a fascinating evening of watching folks go bye and seeing the responses to rich fabrics. (Isn't diversity grand?) Didn’t get home ‘till one thirty, and by the time I’d greeted the dogs, changed clothes, jotted down notes in my diary, and got ready for bed time, it was after two in the morning. *sigh*

Well, all done. Better see if I can get some serious writing done still.

No comments: