Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Weekend market

Song of the day: “The Banana Boat Song” by Harry Belafonte. Still love that one, and it is entertaining to have tumbling around in my head.

Ah, the weekend. Though I am clearly on a weekend break for the blog these days, those very days are so busy that I doubt I’d even have the time to write the darn thing. Hah.
So yeah, Saturday morning. *sigh* It was still dark when I woke from the alarm. Don’t you just hate winter? The days get to be so friggin’ short, darn it. But anyway, twilight took about fifteen minutes to arrive before I’d taken care of the morning rituals and shuffled down to the courtyard. Once there I stopped dead in my tracks and look up at the pool. Arms filled with towel and outfit for the day I debated a full washing session in the shower, or a quick wake-up dip in the pool…I went for the latter. Seriously, showering takes soooo long, and I liked the idea of speed so much that I didn’t even mind that the pool water is greener than a frog. Hah. Almost forgot my coffee again, rushed through breakfast (grandpa made pancakes) were on our way…and had to go right back because both Cousin Ed and I forgot our phone. Ran down to my cabin, back up again and headed out. Yay.
Arrived only five minutes late and started to set up. We had more with us this time, so it took us at least two hours to set up. So hard to set things up in a way that I liked it. Strange how one day from the other different colorschemes go, eh. But anyway, it all looked nice and such, we managed to fit everything in, and when we discovered we forgot pen and paper, the nice lady who organizes the market offered to print our “discount” and “reserved” cards for us.

Not a very busy day, though there was some attention for both Tika Art and my tie dyes. In fact, we sold three of them, which was nice to see. A good place for tie dye, I tell ya. All that beach stuff, eh? Also sold a toy monkey. Was so cute to see the little boy run around with it through the remainder of the afternoon. Wrapped around his neck and head, dangling down his chest. He looked proud as heck. Hah.

I took an hour and a half in the afternoon to withdraw to the restaurant and do some writing. Went rather well, actually. Managed to write down a solid five pages where it became clear that my heroine used to be a Trekie in her tweens, doesn’t like authority, and that my “bad guy” military dude has a new assistant he needs to “break in”. Life is just full of surprises, isn’t it?

The lady who’d made the order the previous week, came to pick up her dog bed. Turns out something went wrong with the order. She wanted a square, not a rectangular bed, but she took it regardless. Later she came back with the intention of having us put aside one of the big beds (she wanted to gift it to her mom) for next week, or the week thereafter. Since that was a pretty steep order, I decided to give her a break and offered to take back the “wrong” bed, so mom could make a new one for her with the right sizes and the silver she kept insisting on.
The bed that was made was gorgeous enough for me to be confident that we’ll be able to sell it at some point regardless.

On the overall the market went well, and by the time we’d packed up again it was close to six in the afternoon. There was a bit of a rush to get home where the younger sibs are undoubtedly waiting to pack up for the Sunday Market. We unloaded our half, and started packing the Opel with wagon for the Sunday market at Funny Beach Marbella, this time with a lot less merchandise, since the amounts are halved, and the gaps filled with second hand stuff like baby clothes and such.

I have been using an occasional half hour here and there to read a review book. This time Adam Siffre with “I’ve been deader”. It’s seriously whacky, and fun to read…I just don’t have much time for it lately. *sigh*

But anyway, I was in bed at one, passed out, and was startled awake seven fifteen when it was time to get up for the Sunday market. Yay. There was the coffee bit, the breakfast, and off we were, once more, only to discover that the market soap had started. Other stand folks had gotten upset that the organizer hadn’t informed them beforehand that she wanted to relocate them to a different spot. Turns out they got our stand, meaning that we got relocated instead, because she figured we wouldn’t hassle her. We didn’t, of course, because it was a nice challenge to see if we could make this stand look good too. We could. But it’s a lucky thing that it was the Sunday market and not the Saturday market, because seriously, carrying the big load that far would have been nothing less than a massive biatch. Hah.

But here are some pix for both days. See for yourself.

Saturday



This one too. We had a crooked Z.


Sunday


And this will be our stand next week. (Cute, eh?)


It's to make up (I think) for the misunderstanding with the stand, and otherwise...well, it'll be fun anyway.
My head is already busy setting everything in place. Hah. I’m bonkers that way. But I tell ya. When I was a kid, I had fantasies of setting up the windows in a shop. I’m getting all the freedom I need to live out that little fantasy.

But anyway, we’ll see about that next week. Until then…my head better shut up.

Leaving Cousin Ed in charge of the stand I headed out to Benahavis again to check out that market there…I didn’t like it. Not as a artsy thing anyway, which is basically what the Tika art stuff is. Benahavis, though paradise for the bargain hunter like myself (got two pants for 2 bucks, a skirt for 1 buck, and two books for 1, yay) is not suited for the dog beds and quilts. I chatted with several stand holders (pumped them for information while purchasing my books and pants) who informed me that even though the sales are pretty good, you’ll be lucky to sell everything that costs more than 3 bucks. *sigh* Not a celebrity in sight either…or maybe I just didn’t see them searching for bargains. LOL
Good thing I like Funny Beach, so far…heck, we even had music yesterday. Hah.

On the way back, something flew in my eye, still don’t know what, and arrived two and half hours after departure back at the stand.
But anyway, we ended the day having sold several baby clothes, and one of the Tika art purses. We offered to pay at least half of the two days, but the organizer said that we might as well agree that for as long as the market doesn’t go extremely well yet, we’re not paying them for the stand. I like that to pay my way, but I’m not stupid. That money is needed for our four legged palls after all.

Loading went a lot faster this time too, seeing as we could load everything up into the wagon rather than having to bring it all to the car and do that there. Rather good that, otherwise we would have had to do that with a wheelbarrow and our backs. *sigh*

Once at home it was time to unload (with some help from the younger sibs), get some dinner (big brother made mac & cheese with some veggies) some chats online, followed by a very late jog because I really had to unwind. Jeez. Then, of course, I put on my wrong sneakers (the ones with the rounded soles) meaning that my jogging was limited to say the least. *double sigh*

My dogs are feeling a little neglected at the moment, my poor darlings. Knight II is trying to eat my clothes, Chaos is peeing in the cabin (and I think he has a bladder infection, so I need to keep an eye on that) and the rest…well, they’re just acting all hurt and such. They know how to play it well, I assure you. I feel very guilty.

Came home to pass out and slept almost through ‘til nine in the morning. Yay. My eye’s a little swollen and hurts like heck, but it’s still there, so, that’s a-okay then. Hah.
Spent the morning on the normal chores, feeding the dogs, breakfast and helping tenant before she went down to spend the afternoon with mom. Then I washed both the cars, because it was starting to get embarrassing to travel in them, at which point I had to help big brother set the poles by Sally’s cabin for the wooden barrier we’re planning to place there while grandpa made pancakes for lunch.

That done, we headed or town to do some groceries for mom and the sibs and speak with mechanic about the leak we found under the car. Apparently it has something to do with that problem we had the last time. Let’s just keep our fingers crossed it’s not serious...but then knowing my luck lately, it will be. Aaaargh. We have an appointment on Thursday, and since I still smelled the petrol fumes in the back of the Opel we decided to drive by tomorrow with that so he could check if it was all okay.

Once at home, the groceries unpacked the end of the day arrived. Made spaghetti and sauce (half of it, anyway, cousin Ed finished it.) There was still dog food to chop, but it went well. Wrote about half a page of the book (seeing as my concentration was shot today) and then started on the blog. I’ve gotta go. I need sleep and my eye still hurts like heck. Grrr.

No comments: