Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yikes. A sieve.

Song of the day: “Tonight in Babylon” by Bryan Adams. Definitely not his best song, but it got stuck on replay in my head regardless.

Yesterday was an “official” working day so I was up an hour earlier than usual and rushed through morning rituals. Walked the visiting dogs, did laundry in record time, and then started on feeding the dogs since grandpa had kindly already prepared the big bowls. After breakfast we were on our way less than two hours after the alarm went off.

First thing we did when we arrived on the spot was set up, unload, and hang a tube in the almost-empty pool so we could start on fixing it. While it drained we got started on digging holes for the fence. Since there was recent rain, meaning that the digging went relatively easy.
That didn’t mean that the digging went fast, though. Not at all, seeing as our attention was divided by the draining and then the going under the liner to see where the hole was…well, lemme tell ya, I found plenty, two of them filled with grass that had somehow made its way through. We suspect a tiny hole that the grass thought suitable to pass through.
Since all the water was out, I was under there on all fours and went from one tiny hole to the other, until I could savely say that the liner would do well as a sieve. *sigh*
This got me a little worried so I dove under, once more, in search of the cause because I wondered if perhaps we had made a mistake while installing. But no, we didn’t. We went over the booklet, checked for sharp stuff, but everything was exactly the way it was supposed to We examined the holes, where they were located (along the edge at the bottom) when it struck me. The vacuum cleaner! Got the thing out, and yes, in all the difficult spots, the angles, indents and curves, the tiny little holes fit to the corners of the vacuum cleaner. Blast it! Either the quality of that liner is poor, or whoever suggested that vacuum cleaner had no clue as to what was good for the pool. I do remember that when we had our own liner-pool, we had one of those jelly fish shaped automatics completely made of rubber and plastic. Since those are also the ones in the back of the booklet, I’m guessing you’re supposed to use those.
Ended up on the phone with the boss-lady, and then SMSing some while we tried to come up with a solution. Whichever is decided upon in the near future, it’ll take several days to fix at least.

But anyway, the pool was drained and we removed the liner so we could take it out for drying…in case the boss lady wanted the holes glued…after which big brother went down again to work on the fence, while I put the pool together again. There’re tough winds there, so we didn’t want to risk the lack of sturdiness from removing the liner causing it to blow away. While it dried on the big terrace we went down to work on the poles again. The holes got dug, poles got set, and concrete was poured to set it all in place. Supports went in as well, and by the time the day drew to an end, some odd eight hours after arrival, a chill fell and we were hard at work cleaning everything up. The pool was shored to the ground, tools were stuffed back in the car, and everything was locked down and shut off. We didn’t get home until eleven hours after departure, and I can assure you I was properly whipper. Hah. Did a report to the boss lady online, discussed the options with her some, but since the pool is shored properly (keeping my fingers crossed it’s good enough) we’re not in a hurry with that particular fixing right now. We’ll see that later once the boss lady is back home.

This morning I woke right on the dot, hoping I could go right back to sleep…which I couldn’t of course. The new day had started and there was plenty to do. *sigh* There were the morning chores, feeding the dogs, and then it was time for me to walk tenant down to the main house, where she’d decided to spend the day.

Mom and the younger sibs were out for a bit. Little brother now officially has his drivers license, so yay on that. I’ll be curious to see what he’s going to do with it.

Tenant down and settled, I headed back up to the carport to help big brother shaving the ears of Carla. Poor bugger is filled with thick clusters of dirt, and we really had to see to that before it got any worse. His ears are doing better, though. Since we were busy there anyway, I also shaved big brother’s head, which was slowly being covered by hair again. He doesn’t like it, and admittedly the bald head looks good on him.

Tie dye. Yep. Since the market is closing in again, Cousin Ed and I worked on adding to the tie dye collection this afternoon. The weather was splendid for it. Sun was out, a cool breeze blew from the west and we could do the whole batch without much trouble. A few failed, but what the heck. The majority worked out well. Added to that, Sally helped out, which she seemed to enjoy.

Had lunch, which I shouldn’t have. I’m serious, I had a pancake, some cheese, a piece of apple and a peanutbutter and honey sandwhich. Big mistake. I know better than to mix that much. While I was drinking water afterward the whole lot came back out, in the middle of the path down to the yard. Jeez. It’s been a long time since it surprised me like that. But there you have it. Too much of this and that, will screw you over…well, me anyway. Hah. Luckily supper, much, much later, settled better, so I had zucchini, peppers and paneer that stayed down. *sigh*

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Went to the greenhouse after the hurling bit (I know, that is such a tasteful thing to mention, right? I’m nothing if not elegant. *snort*) and we sowed a new batch of filderkraut. We’re not exactly sure what the problem is, but twice now we’ve sowed this particular veggie, and twice it didn’t come up, despite the fact that the broccoli, cauliflower, red and white cabbage are doing just fine.

Since the waterworks were still open since the last rain storm, I took a moment to cover those up, rather than risk someone breaking their leg, or something. Jeez. Then went back up to the old horse paddock and cleaned up some of the tie dye mess. Only had a few minutes because big brother and I still needed to head for the construction company. We still needed tensors, along with three more poles.

Once we got back, it was time to cook some supper. The soup Cousin Ed made yesterday (something was wrong with the freezer, so we had to make something of the frozen zucchini and peppers in there) along with a nice batch of paneer.

Got a message from an acquaintance who asked if we knew some sort of solution for the young dog that came walking up to her place. She was a little desperate, seeing as she's moving to the city soon and can't keep him.

Here, have a look.

Isn't he cute. If you know a good home for him, do let me know. I'll "connect" you.
I do of course know that she was hoping we'd take it, but let's face it, we're trying to get less of them, not add to the pack. *sigh* He's cute as a button, though, and if I didn't have dogs coming out of my ears already I'd be tempted as heck.

Ah well....

Supper over and done with, I tried to write some, but I only managed half a page or so. Guess the day was more taxing than I’d imagined, so with a little luck I’m going to try to get to bed in time today. Hah.

No comments: