Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Blue!!!

A lousy day, but I’m going to try not to beleaguer the point, and just give a quick rundown for routine’s sake.

It’s cold again today. The wind chilly and the sun a little wan in the sky when I let the dogs out of the cabin and stare at them dashing out into the yard: I’m not feeling too bad, but I really don’t want to be up yet, so rather than think about it, I head back to the bed and drop down, crawling under the blanket and dropping off into a light doze in little time.

Those thirty minutes go by interminably slow, lots of fragmented dreams that seriously mess up my equilibrium, and make me somewhat grouchy as I head out the cabin and make for the house.

Laundry has piled up. Stupidly I forgot to check if there was any last night, so there are four batches waiting to be hung by the time I walk into the laundry room and start lugging the mess out to the courtyard. It takes a while to hang it all, and when I’m done my mood hasn’t improved any. I’m still tired, moody, and more than a little blue. Not the best way to start a day that’s a fact.

I have a couple of slices of bread for breakfast, my stomach still being upset, and don’t take coffee, in hopes that tea will work better at this point.
Tea, of course, fails to revive me a bit, and therefore writing is a complete bust. I can’t focus, sentences make no sense whatsoever when I try to edit instead, and on the overall I’m feeling pretty miserable.

Since big brother has opted to cook dinner, I can’t do the chore today to take my mind of things, and thus I meander about the kitchen for a bit, wondering what I can possibly do to keep myself occupied.

Dinner’s good, but what with the blasted stomach playing up, nothing tastes well. By the time dinner is over, and much to my surprise, big brother is doing the dishes, I decide to start taking out the supplies from the cabinets in the last part of the old kitchen and then proceed to slowly, but steadily, take it apart.

It takes quite a bit of effort to clean out the small oven grill that we always use for snacks, but in the end its sparkly clean and is put in its new place beside the freezer.
There is a nasty gooey black stuff that has leaked from the machine, and it covers most of the old shelf that connects the two top cupboards I’m removing.

Meticulously I take out one screw after the next, gathering a nice pile of re-useable ones when little brother and sister come down to carry the mess out of the house and courtyard.
My mood doesn’t improve much, and to my horror I actually feel weepy before I grab my MP3 player and put the volume high in order to have the music pound my brain.

There’s no real reason to feel bad, and I don’t get it at all, as I stubbornly keep telling myself exactly that. Slowly, as the evening advances my mind finally settles down a bit, allowing for some peace as I work on the dismantling of the old cupboards and shelves.

Big brother, having sawed the wooden boards that still need to be painted, decides to work on the last closet door, stopping my progress for a bit, because he needs to saw the door to a proper size.

Forced to wait, I help holding everything in place, while at the same time using glass and a sanding machine to remove light blue paint from the old door, so it can be painted tomorrow.

At the kitchen counter, middle sister is painting the board big brother cut, and by the time we are done making the door wider, she helps me dismantle the remainder of the old counter.

The kitchen is a mess by the time we’re done, but the cleared wall, which I cleaned somewhere in the midst of demolishing, offers room to the only painting we ever bought. Tools and machinery has been brought out to the courtyard room and little sister has started cleanup of the counters.

We’re all well pleased with the end result. The last removal has opened everything up, allowing for a roomy feel to the whole.
By the time big brother and I settle at the table for another writing attempt, I rapidly get the chills. The activity of the evening has obviously come to a too abrupt end. While working, I hadn’t noticed getting chilled in only my long sleeved, turtleneck-tee. It didn’t suffice to keep my temperature up, and this becomes clear when my skin cools and my comfort zone dwindles with it.

I can barely keep my eyes open, and only manage a page or so before I decide to head for my cabin a little early today.
Of course my attempt to go to bed early last night failed and I’m guessing that it is taking its toll.
Perhaps I’ll be luckier tonight.

No comments: