Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Doctor's visit.

A strange day that’s a fact. I feel pretty much banged up, for some reason.

So, I wake up this morning, finding the back of my head coated with this crystal-like substance, which has completely coated my hair around it. I remember vaguely banging my head back against the wall during the night, but it didn’t really register since I was having a rather intriguing dream (I told myself to remember it, but, of course, when I woke up all I remembered was telling myself that) but other than that particular knowledge it’s all pretty much a blank.

But anyway, back to the crystal-like substance. It appears to be coming from this small pea-like bump I’ve had on the back of my skull for over a year now. It was not very large, just something I noticed when I brushed my hair, and except for having some tension around the area it really didn’t bother me much. Apparently, due to the collision with the wall it has burst open and is leaking the liquid. Very strange.

So, I get up, do the usual morning stuff, and then head on down to the house in another dry spell that the weather’s offering, for just the occasion of me heading down the rocky path. I’m very grateful, too, considering it startes raining again, no more than thirty minutes after I arrive at the house.

Workout day has arrived, and I get to it…taking way too long since conversations with grandpa and big brother keep distracting me. It’s at least and hour and a half later when I finally finish the session, heading for the shower, where I find the bump still leaking. Annoying!

Since we have a standing appointment at the doctor’s anyway (mom’s check up) I decide to ask the doc to have a look at it while we’re there, just to see what the problem is.

Time is limited, especially since I took so long with the workout, so I do a quick round of the messages and such, before big brother and I edit several pages of the gangster novel we’ve been working on.
It flies past, as they say, and before I realize it we have to get ready to depart.

Our battery charged drill has given the spirit, so to speak, and we need a new one, so big brother joins us on our trip to the village and starts roaming the stores for a good bargain (that’s still quality) while mom and I are at the doctor’s officer.

As it turns out, the raging storm we had just recently is reported to have been a full-blown hurricane in Málaga. Go figure. A hurricane in the midst of winter no less. This is so not the area for such weather conditions.

When the doc’s ready checking mom over, she urges me to ask the physician about my bump and after a short examination he offers to cut it open and scrape out the mess that has gathered under the infection that he’s detected.

Deciding that this is probably the smartest course to take to get rid of the problem that has gotten to be a little painful, I agree and lie down on the practitioner’s table while mom heads for the car to wait until it’s done.

There’s a slight prick…I hardly feel the sting, really, the pressure of the lump which I’d pretty much gotten used to over the past few months “outvoices” anything…and lay there while the doc waits for the local anesthetic to work.

A cling of medical tools rings in my ears when he splays them on my back, holding my head with one hand (like I’d be stupid enough to move it when someone’s holding a scalpel to it, hah) and makes a cut with the other. I don’t actually feel any pain, just a sting, pressure and then, when he takes some sort of spatula thing and starts scraping a rather raw feeling. Ewww. It’s a horrid sound, sort of like nails scraping over a bubbly surface, and while he increases the pressure I actually feel a bit dizzy.

Now, I’ve got a vivid imagination, and it does play parts on me when I’m basically pressed down to the table facedown. So, staring at my sleeve (I’m resting my forehead on it) and papered top, I get this hideous image in my head of the back of my skull lying open as the doc uses some sort of parting device to keep my skin out of the way.
It’s not smart to let your imagination run away with you on such a moment. Especially not when the guy is using the scraping thing again and irrevocably sends your head swaying left and right through the force he’s applying.

All in all, he’s pretty much finished after fifteen minutes and I can get on to put my boots and coat back on. He doesn’t think the cut needs stitches; he calls it relatively small, and tells me to just keep it clean after he sprays a liberal amount of antiseptic on it and tapes it up.

After paying for the two consults and treatment, I head down the stairs, feeling downright nauseous, reach the building’s lobby and, five minutes after leaving the office, step in the car.

Since Big brother failed to find a good drill while we were gone, we scour the village for a ferreteria (basically a supply store) and are, in the end, successful in finding one that has an affordable machine.

By this time the effects of the local anesthetic is wearing off, creating a rather fierce headache that for some reason resembles the feel of a freezing ice pick slicing into my skull every time even a little breeze hits the bandage. Wonderful!

I’m pretty much cross-eyed from it when we get home, and am practically upending my computer bag in search of a strip of painkillers that I distinctly remember seeing in it just a few days ago. I’m about to growl like a rabid dog and throw the bag against the wall in frustration, when Big Brother offers to search for me, looks inside and then raises the strip after a single glance. It’s right there, in the tangle of wires I’ve just raised from the bag and then stuffed back inside in complete frustration. I hate it when that happens.

Popping one, I take the meal little brother holds out to me and settle at the table to see if I can choke the delicious meal down without loosing it immediately afterwards. I manage to choke a few bites and give the rest to the dogs eagerly gathering around me, without showing it to little brother who obviously put all his efforts in the meal.

Afterwards I sit in front of the TV, trying to ignore the nagging discomfort at the back of my skull. Luckily “Babylon A.D.” manages to capture my attention enough to distract me, and though this movie, once again, isn’t a “WOW” experience, I get through the evening without too much trouble and head for my cabin just after midnight.

After feeding the dogs and a rather useless attempt at reading, I set up the computer and start on tonight’s session.

No comments: