Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Picking up Yama and building, of course.

I managed to get in almost eight whole hours of sleep this night. Gawd, it felt like an eternity. I kept waking up, wondering why the friggin’ alarm didn’t go off. Hah.
My eyes don’t droop for the first three hours of the day, however, so that was definitely a plus.

Whatever dreams visited me, I don’t recall them, which is a good thing, considering that I have every intention to keep today’s Blog short again, just so I’ll be able to get another proper night’s rest.

Let’s see, I go through the morning rituals as usual. Spent at least fifteen minutes stretching the kinks from spine and limbs alike. I wonder if it is age that is playing up already. Seriously, I refuse to believe that it is normal to be so friggin’ sore in the morning that a body can hardly move. Hah.

Once I arrive at the house I start on the laundry real fast, ‘cause a friend drops in for a really short visit–half an hour tops–and then have breakfast while chatting with big brother and grandpa…as usual. Rather uninteresting, I know, but I can’t change the facts.
The most recent subject of conversation is the swine flu breaking out in Mexico City, and even Kansas, I believe.

Possible pandemics make for such intriguing discussions. What with today’s globalisation, containing such diseases is going to be darn hard. It always brings to mind those end-of-days movies, where some horrible virus has wiped out the world’s population. I mean, I can see it already. Some crazy doctor thought to see what the effect of the Spanish flu would do, when injected into a pig, and voila, a totally new disease that can be transferred to humans breaks out. Hah.
But seriously, it’s scary news for sure. However, it makes for excellent book material too, there’s no denying that little fact.

But okay, before I start wandering off to different tangents that are bound to keep me tied to my computer for another hour…or three, I’ll continue with today’s report.
Once breakfast is over, big brother and I settle behind our computers to start on today’s edit.

Though we don’t manage as many as we have on other days, we do get three more pages done…Good scene. One of the characters (the MPD kind, that is) dives headfirst into a dangerous situation, seriously pissing off the hero of the story, who is desperately trying to keep her safe. Hah.

Three hours pass with the edit, and then it’s time to head on out to resume with the wall. Lots of rocks to move again today, and rather than getting them from the rapidly dwindling pile on the path, I decide to get into the little garden. There are several handfuls that still lie about, so I start picking them up and throwing them over the wall just to be able to use them for the second wall later on.

By the time I toss the last one up, the sibs have joined me, and together we start laying the last part of the foundation while we wait for middle sister to start mixing the cement.

We had wanted to put most our efforts into the wall tonight, but since we don’t have enough sand for a full session, we decide to lay part of the path leading to the small garden that splits the walls in two. Many massive stones get put into the ground, cement welding them together before we use the last three wheelbarrows of the mix for the foundation that we already laid out.

There are several rocks that big brother and I need to put up together…they’re huge…while little sister works like mad to fix them in place with the cement.
About two hours before sundown there’s no more sand, and it is time for us to head to the village. We need to pick up Yama from the vet nonetheless.

Since we’ll be out anyway, we decide to go the long way ‘round on the way back so we can get another batch of rocks. When we arrive at the vet hospital, we have mom’s Cocker Spaniel vaccinated (he’s out of the yard a lot, so it is better to be safe than sorry) and walk to the back of the clinic where Yama is curled into the corner of her little cage.

She looks pitiful, poor thing. The vet explains that when they tried to walk her, she was so scared that she tried to run off, so they decided not to walk her for the remainder of the day. She’s so frightened that for a while she just stares at the vet, at which time I stick my hand out to her and croon soothing words at her.

At long last, when the vet takes several steps back from the cage, Yama cautiously makes her way out of the cage, squeezing herself between my squatting form and the wall before moving on to big brother who has come up behind me. Big brother is definitely the safest place to be in her opinion. Hah.

Once she has fully caught our scents, she is more than eager to depart, so while I pay the bill (yikes, three hundred bucks and change) and take the remainder of the medication she’ll need for the next week, big brother takes her out to the car where mom and grandpa are waiting for us. She went through the operation just fine and doesn’t seem to be bothered by the ordeal too much.

We depart moments later, heading towards the bumpy forest path that leads towards our usual spot of rocks. Working quickly, while mom takes Alexander (her Cocker Spaniel) and Yama out for short stroll, we fill up the truck bed to the top and head on back home.

The sibs are waiting for us when we arrive, and we rapidly unload the rocks to re-supply the pile that is getting smaller every day. We’re going to have to do two trips tomorrow if we want to continue building at the rate we’re going.

Inside the house, with the dogs going crazy over our return, along with the unfamiliar scent Yama carries, we take a moment to calm them down and then settle at the table to have dinner of the meal mom prepared before our departure. Spaghetti and tomato sauce. Nothing goes down better than carbs at the end of hard day’s work, hah.

After watching the recorded episode of the today’s “The Closer”, we switch to “Crazy in Alabama” (cute movie. I’ve seen it before but it stays fun) and switch on the computer for another quick edit. We only manage about an hour, before midnight arrives and I head up to my cabin to feed the dogs and prepare for what will hopefully be another early night.

No comments: