Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

A bust!

Song of the day: “I cried for you” by Katie Melua yesterday. Today: “Staying alive” by the Bee Gees, hah. It just doesn’t get old, does it?

Let’s start with yesterday and seep slowly into today…gotta use some variety in writing these things down after all.
Okay, I started reading “The Silence of the Lambs” by Thomas Harris, and I gotta admit that it is not a style that suits me all that much. The only reason I can see some imagery is because I know the movie so well and there is something in it that just doesn’t fall well. Still, it is good to know the styles out there, so I’m going to finish reading it, even if it kills me. Hah.

Got a couple of hours of extra sleep these past two days…I think the cold is affecting me, ‘cause I get tired more easily since the temperatures drop rapidly after sunset. Today it was even cold while the sun was still out. A measly 16 degrees when out of the wind, but when in it, yowsa. Heck, even the sibs thought it was cold, and that is saying something.

I am…well, we are, actually…steadily working through the first five chapters of “Calamity’s Luck”—meaning that we now just about finished the first one, hah—and find it rather difficult to alter our mindsets in such a way that we are able to get “into” the story proper. It is so hard to say goodbye to “Saving Nina” which was a solid part of computer work for the past eight-nine months, or maybe even longer. We were, like, totally submerged into the story and characters, so the shift is rather hard. I find myself actually missing Rory and Nina every now and then…which is weird, since I like Alex and Callie just fine too.

Well, we’ll get in there some day, just need to focus, I guess. In the meantime I’ve been sneaking into the untitled manuscripts, whenever big brother isn’t watching, delving into the world to which Nina belonged too, but the moments are too rare, to say the least.

We spend some time yesterday with Niobe…the puppy that got hurt a week or so ago. He’s been way too scared, so we’re trying to get him over the trauma with lots of prodding and patting. He doesn’t like it, but he is slowly getting better due to a lot of attention.

Building-wise yesterday was a total bust. I was trying to build a dresser, but when I couldn’t find the right materials I had to give up and call it a day, rather than push when it wasn’t working. I hate it when that happens. I just couldn’t create an image in my head of the piece of furniture I wanted to make, so I hereby declare yesterday, over and done with, and I will stop writing about it.

Today—well, last night, technically, I had a bout of…I don’t know what. Let’s just say I felt sick as a dog, and was more than happy to stay in bed that extra hour, rather than face the cold day. Yikes. It was bad, I’ll tell ya. Bad! But anyway, once the morning arrived I was marginally better and headed down to the house asap, ‘cause it was COLD. Those northwestern winds are a bitch that much I’ll say.

There was the laundry of course…I’m keeping track now, managing to keep the bags empty by an average of two cycles a day, phew…which reminds me, I managed to get the majority of my clothes into the closet, yay. Even decided to take an extra thirty minutes to take out my winter clothes and put the summer digs away for the next few months.

There was the rewrite edit of Calamity’s luck again, of course. We did a couple of pages, which is hard, due to the problem I mentioned before, and five hours after settling down behind the computer we bravely headed out into the cold wind to start on the day’s projects.

While big brother and grandpa started on outside projects, little sister and I started anew on a cabinet, this time with enough materials…I thought of this nice stash during the night, hah…to make a rather handsome shelving set of a beautiful nut wood. It looks rather handsome now, and once I’ve made the drawers, the way I intend to, it is gonna look mighty nice, if I do say so myself, right they’re against the big wall of my bedroom. Four shelves and two drawers, and with a little luck, I’ll be able to toss out the old, run down cabinets that are still standing there.

Before starting, however, I helped grandpa out, putting in a couple of borders on our tenant’s ceiling. The stupid covering there still hadn’t been finished, even though we put it in almost a year ago. Now it all looks very neat, though.

Dressed in several layers, (even little sister, who usually loves the cold) we worked right past sunset and finished the entire thing in the two big spotlights that light up the terrace by the carport. The dogs didn’t much appreciate the cold either, by the way. Throughout the hours they kept looking at us pitifully, piling up on the chairs and benches, and even some old outside cushions that were still lying about as residuals of summer.

Once done for the day we headed down to the house for dinner, at which time I started up the computer to write down today’s blog. I wish I could say I have the tenacity to give it a quick edit before actually posting it, but since I have to go out tomorrow morning to bring out tenant to the hospital for her monthly checkup again, I’ll forego doing so, and hope that it was remotely comprehensible.

No comments: