Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Raaahain! *sobs*

Song of the day: “Viva la Vida” by Coldplay. It’s been a while since I had this one in my head, I think. Still cool.

Rain, rain, rain! It’s bahaaack, and that after yesterday’s wonderful sunny weather. Seriously, I’m going to ignore today entirely and focus solely on yesterday, just because it was so much better.

So yeah, I woke up at the sound of the alarm after six hours of sleep, and guess what, there were clouds but also, peeking just over the eastern mountain ridge was the sweet sun that I hadn’t seen hide nor hair of for several days. It was beautiful, and after a rather adventurous dream involving the cast and location of “Lost” I was fully prepared to face the new day.

First thing I did, after rolling out of bed, was grab my blankets (ehm yeah, I’ve got five of them, not counting a quilt and afghan. What can I say I’m a whiner) and hang them out over the banister of the terrace and the windows I’d opened to let in the fresh morning air. Though the sky looked kind of threatening, it was just too good a chance to pass up on.

There was laundry prior to breakfast and then it was time to head out to unload the car of supplies and the new batch of plants, which I was determined to put in the ground. Was about ten minutes into the gardening session too, when the clouds from the west arrived and let loose a light shower that had me run up to my cabin to get my blankets back inside. I had just returned to the plants when the sun broke out again, so…well, let’s just say I repeated this hanging and pulling down of the blankets about four times yesterday. Hah.

In and around the carport, quite a mess had gathered over the past week of rain, so I spent some time cleaning it up, while big brother and grandpa worked at the old stable to build frames for wood storage.

In-between the ongoings big brother and I searched the house for the receipts of middle sister’s Mac laptop. It gave the spirit the day before yesterday, and since it is a problem that has been known to happen to the computers of that year, we’re going to have to find the receipt in order to get a new hard drive. Though we didn’t find the receipt, we did locate the antibiotics we needed for Knight II (he’s still swollen on the side), which means that he is now getting the required dose.

The dogs were a tad restless during the day that involved being herded in and out of the courtyard, to prevent utter wetness. Hah. They didn’t care much about that, of course, but since we didn’t much appreciate the prospect of the house utterly wet, it seemed more prudent to keep them contained during the rain. The plants all got planted, though.

While grandpa and big brother were still working at the stable, little sister and I tackled the crack in the wall of the veranda. It has been a sore spot for months now, so I figured I might as well mix a bit of cement and seal it shut. Worked out splendidly, if I do say so myself. We got the entire wall ready for painting this spring. Only eight more walls to go. Hah.

The mountain bike has been an eyesore for several weeks too, ever since we rearranged the carport, so once done with the wall, little sister and I hung it behind my cabin, nicely out of the way, and safely tucked high up from the ground.

It was approaching late afternoon when it was time to haul garbage to the car, and get ready for our agreed upon run…only to remember that mum was working on the new covers for the car seats and the driver’s seat was, at that particular moment covered in needles to keep the new fabric in place.

Determined to go for our run after all, we headed out by foot, mounted the drive sweep, followed the main road for a bit and then went straight up the incline for the path that curls high up the mountain over our house. We set a nice brisk pace, chortling a little about the fact that we were likely to be wiped-out by the time we reached the upper path, and got there breathing heavy after only three skids on the incline. Hah.

A nice run, I’ve got to say, and while we were on the trail, we came upon a spot where a mudslide had taken down a young pine tree. Since it was lying there, it’s roots laid bare and everything, we decided to take it home with us, stick it in the ground and see if it would survive.
Would be nice if it did, seeing as the four pines that we used to have, back in the day, didn’t survive our hot summers. It will make a nice change to the eucalypti, mimosas and poplars that basically make up our garden.

Solidly exhausted from running back with the tree in hand, I took a quick shower and then settled behind the computer with dinner over and done with.
Only managed to write three pages, what with the day having been a tad busy, but progress after all.

Which brings us to today: Rain! Again. *sigh* I’m not happy, in case you couldn’t tell.
Now it wouldn’t be all that bad, (got a friend visiting, and that is usually fun) if I weren’t totally scatterbrained today. I swear, I’ve had to lumber up the mountain seven to nine times already, just because I forgot one item or other (for painting the wall) in the carport.

And that makes up my recount for today, I guess. A pity, but I really don’t have anything else to say other than I seriously DISLIKE rain. *sigh*
Let’s hope the weather improves before the next blog. Hah.

No comments: