Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Not on purpose.

Song of the day: “The bad touch” by the Bloodhound Gang…I know, how embarrassing, right? Ya can’t stop the brain from doing what the brain does can ya? Hah. Not that it is a bad song, or anything, but whenever it is going through my mind, I feel as if I should be blushing, or something.

But, anyways…I really haven’t decided about doing this blog only once every three days, but yesterday I just didn’t manage to get around to it, for some reason…at least not without sacrificing some much needed sleep, which I wasn’t willing to do for some peculiar reason. Hah.
I’m still on the fence, so the speak, so until I know for sure I’m going to try to dutifully write these things every other day…except for today, where I’m a day late, darn it.

Okay, so what’s been keeping me so busy…I don’t know where to start, really. We’ve got a friend staying over for a week, which meant that the younger sibs spent most of their afternoons cleaning and painting our guestroom. I, in the mean time, made boxes for storage and worked the yard, of course.

Yesterday big brother and I had the pleasure of cooking a meal made solely out of our own veggies (like today) that meant that we had a fully green salad, with fresh herbs, yay. Chard made by big brother, and big disks of zucchini with cheese and fresh herbs on top…all of it baked to a crisp in the oven by yours truly.

The way I figure is, if we’re the ones brining in the harvests, we should also take the time every once in a while, to actually cook the stuff. If you don’t do that, you miss an entire step of the process and that’s a shame. I mean, seriously, there is something about plucking stuff, carrying them up, washing them, cutting them and then cooking them before you consume the food they make up. If you don’t, you’re just a pack creature, who brings food somewhere and then waits to be fed. Half the pleasure is going through all the motions, I’ve found.

Besides, we had fun with the making. Lots of talk, lots of laughter, so it was definitely a successful meal.
Today we’re getting our first home grown potatoes, red beets, onion and leek. Gawd my mouth is watering at the prospect. Change of topic please.

Right, edits: they’re going slow again, but steadily. Seeing that we now water the plants late in the evening, well past eight in the afternoon and don’t finish until ten at least, we’re taking my computer outside so we can work while watering. We’ve done it twice now and it’s working well enough…an average of three pages, I think.

Lots of planting going on too, I’ve put in pumpkins, zucchini, melons, cantaloupes and onions. New seeds went into pots too…and no, I won’t bore you with each individual kind, hah…and as of today we are once again turning earth, because we want to put in more potatoes and such.
Which reminds me, the melons and green beans up in the old horse paddock are doing great!

The new load of dog food arrived yesterday, and due to the fact that everyone pitched in I could do only three trips before all the 40 pound bags were down, drat! Seeing as our guest was sleeping in we spent the majority of the morning up by the carport, so while big brother and grandpa sawed beams for the balustrade around the basin, I spent a couple of hours cleaning up and making room for adequate moving space.

Tenant joined us several times again, though she fears otherwise, her stride is becoming more certain and far stronger than it was. I try to tell her as much, but when she’s feeling a little down she refuses to believe it, of course. Ah well, the down-ness too will pass, I’m sure.

Luckily, the younger sibs, tenant and mom are keeping our guest company, so that means that big brother and I can continue working. Sure, it is fun having an excuse to take it easy, but on the overall, I rather not risk letting go of the present routine; we’re getting a lot done after all.

The dogs aren’t particularly liking the late night watering sessions, they’ll be looking all miserable by the fence, whining occasionally and everything. Yesterday we actually stopped early because of them, rather than risk POing the entire neighborhood.
Poor things.

There were several hauling trips, rock, sand…yes, I used shoveling it in and out of the car as a proper exercise, hah…and other necessities. Soon we’re going to have to get new cement because that outside kitchen is really starting to be essential.

But anyways, I’ve got some messages to deal with, maybe another short edit and then a three hour trip to the city for middle sister’s computer. The dude said there was something wrong with the warranty, and rather than trying to figure things out over the phone (which never works) we’re heading over there.

I’ll be back. Hah.

No comments: