Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Remodeling some again.

Song of the day: “For what it’s worth” by Buffalo Springfield. I know, weird song for me, but what the hey, I like being unpredictable.

Lemme just try to sort through this blank page that I call my brain, because even as I start thinking about what to write, I can’t think of a single thing that I did yesterday…or today, for that matter. *sigh*

Watering plants! Right, did that yesterday, with the water from the basin no less, which is good, considering we still need to empty the dratted thing for painting. Yep. That mud is going to be a bitch to scrape out, but with a little luck we get it all empty in time before the next rain.

While big brother and grandpa worked on the greenhouse glass still, I tackled the planter on the side of the greenhouse terrace and painted it a blinding white. Seriously, it hurt my eyes. I can’t wait for the moss to come back and make it all better again. Hah.
But anyway, the roof of the greenhouse is up now, except for two panes in the center, and the top windows. Now all we need to add is the front wall of glass and we’ll be all set.

I distinctly remember there being weeding involved in the last couple of days. Weeds as much as vines, if my night mare of flesh eating vines was anything to go by. Seriously, I was all uncomfortable this morning because of it. I’d been running through the woods, the vines, The Vines, THE VINES were after me. Hah. But anyway, weird dreams make me itchie, even though there is no reason for it, other than the fact that they appear to be so realistic. Right up until I discover the conspiracy between my conspiracy and my alarm, which was suddenly not working, and wake up.

We also trimmed the rather large carob tree that stands between the greenhouse and the courtyard. Though our beauty already had a solid trimming last year, we had to take out a couple of really heavy branches that hung over the greenhouse roof.

For brunch we had two day’s worth of chili, which accidentally was rather “hot” since I added (quite accidentally) a whole jalapeno to it. Crikey. That was some serious hotness. Had to added 300 grams of yogurt and a rich splash of milk to temper it out a little. Then, eating it with breath was rather wonderful.

After the painting stuff, using lots of drop cloths when I got to be on the site of mother nature. Still splattered a lot around, but what the hey. It looks great now, by the way. Neat, clean, and very holiday-ish.

We harvested, of course. We’re doing beets today, if we can manage it at all. There will be leek soon, and onions, so, yum! The tomatoes are dwindling by now, and the zucchini are becoming less as well, but the peppers are still going strong.

Tenant walked down to the terrace three times in a row now, which is definitely a milestone. Also, yesterday when she wanted to get up to stretch her legs a bit, she walked beside the balustrade with her left hand, and managed to pull it along, which is a first. Yay. We love firsts!
The walking is also going better, steady as it goes, with lots of talking and singing it goes faster too. If find if she thinks about it too much, she goes slower, so I try to keep her distracted, let muscle memory do most of the work.

Started on the door of the old pool apartment (under the greenhouse and basin). The door was rotting so I removed the door and broke the post from its position so we’d be able to put the new in without trouble. So, since yesterday plus part of today, grandpa and I have been sawing wood and preparing it all. We’ve got new doors, a new post and with a little luck we’ll start hanging it just as soon as I’m done with today’s blog.

While grandpa and I worked on the wood this morning, big brother shaved Mesha and Carla (two male cocker spaniels) who had been getting worse and worse. There was a massive pile of hair afterwards, but the dogs were definitely happy with the cleanup.

Writing is going well at the moment. I'm pushing four pages a day or so, so I'll get that book done yet. Need about thirty pages more and we have already done half of the edit, so with a little luck in a month and a half I'll be able to send it out to the publisher. I like what it's coming to, and the characters are likable and complex.

Well, I should get back to the home improvement bit, seeing as the next three days won’t allow for much of that. Tomorrow is a working day after all, and so’s the day after it…followed on Wednesday by picking up our friend in Marbella again. Weird that just a few months ago we basically had five days a week to work on a variety of projects around the house and now we’re lucky if we have three left. Ah well, nothing to do about it but get through it and be as efficient as we can.

Leaving.

No comments: