Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Change of plans...literally

Music of the day: “Everything for free” by K’s Choice. It’s been a while since I heard it, but I downloaded it yesterday and it was great to hear again. Of course it has been in my head since then, so...well, whatever.

My voice is still acting funny. Seriously, if you didn’t know better, you’d think I’m a chain smoker, or something. If you know the band I mentioned up here...well, my voice sounds just like that at the moment. Hah.

Yep. It’s happened again: There’s a new project. I know, all the old ones ain’t done yet, but it just had to be done. We were about to start on the day when, out of the blue tenant’s new terrace doors were there. Seriously, we thought to just postpone most of those plans until a later time, but there they were, and since we couldn’t stand the idea of tenant spending another dark winter inside her room with windows that were too high to look through from her chair, we decided to just start on it. The place was still a mess from the new floor project anyway.

There we went, breaking open the old wall (I did an almost bounce after kicking at the second beam that refused to budge, but we managed. Yay. It was a mess for sure, but I’ve gotta admit that I could imagine the end result and it’ll be grand. Sure, we’ll need to chop away some rock surfaces, but there’s no rush for that.

So the plan was to take out the old windows, the panels and put in three huge terrace doors with small panes. Now that everything is out, there is so much light in her room that it’s almost like a veranda...which would be awesome. The next best thing is the French doors. It’ll look grand, and I’ll have pictures to prove it. Hah.

There were some mishaps, of course. For instance there was the moment when we discovered that we’d put one of the posts at 87, rather than 78 centimeters. Seriously, we were putting the last post in and discovered that the distance wasn’t right. So we went back to the first one and removed the fill-section we put in there, only to discover that we had made an error with the second post. There was some swearing (big brother) and insane laughter (me) and then we had to change everything back before resetting post number two and three. *sigh*

The concrete grandpa had made, had turned into...well, concrete within the wheelbarrow. Hah. So we decided to just leave it at that and head on down to the basin terrace for some very late cooking (had to skip lunch due to several really embarrassing little miscalculations). Supper was nice, though. Made potato with tomato, onion garlic and a wee bit of cheese. Gawd, I was so stuffed afterwards. I did manage to write a page or two, before it was time to head down into the yard and harvest four pounds of green beans, several peppers and zucchini and watering what needed to be watered...which is a lot since summer is finally here. Yay!

I’m serious, the temperatures are finally in the high nineties and it’s like we’re on vacation, or something. The sun bright, the sky clear and the wind warm. It can be uncomfortable, but I’ve decided to fully enjoy it considering we’re already back to month seven. Before you know it, winter will be here again and I am determined to get as much from summer as I can. It’s days like these that I remember the full attraction of Spain, it is marvelous.

Bit of bad news is that the pool pump gave the spirit yesterday and decided to die on us. It was literally burned through, and we still don’t really know what happened. It might be that somehow it ran dry for a long time, but since that has happened before, I don’t think it’s likely. Ah well, either it gets fixed (we didn’t manage it ourselves) or we need to buy a new one.

Wrote three pages during the course of two writing sessions last night. Not a lot, but progress at least. I discovered that I’m about five weeks into the writing and have already past the half-way-through mark. Yay. Considering that the story is going rather well, I’m going to have to be careful not to overshoot the word count.

Which brings us to today. For some reason I overslept this morning (not smart since it doesn’t improve my mood) and was running behind on everything while I rushed through the morning ritual, took a very necessary dip in the pool...Chaos, Labhana, Gada and Knight II all insisted on a dip too. Poor darlings were really hot after the sweltering night. Hah.

After laundry I headed up to chat with tenant (she had a doctor’s appointment this morning and all was well) and then continue with her room where we proceeded to hang the last post and prepare what we could for pouring the concrete. While big brother did the latter, grandpa (he’d made the concrete) and I sanded, shaved and made the doors the right size (there’s always some of that when you’re putting something new in, mind you) and on the overall were melting right there in the pitiful shade while the sun slid up to its zenith. Gawd, summer. Ya gotta love it!

That done, it was time to clean up and head on down to the basin terrace (it works best this time of year due to the constant breeze there) where we made dinner of green beans with coconut shavings, and baby potatoes with the peel baked in real butter. Yummy.

So, rather than sit, I really didn’t feel like sitting today, I getting a wooden behind from it, you know, I decided to blog standing up straight, and gotta admit that it’s going well. It give the illusion that you’re doing something a little more active than just writing, you know, and since I read that piece where research showed that sitting down for more than three hours a day is bad for your health, I don’t mind this standing bit at all. Hah.

Well, time for me to see if I can fit in a bit of writing yet. There’s the book to finish after all, and...yeah, need to get to that.

No comments: