Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Blessed sleep

Song of the day: “The bright side of life” by the Monthy Python gang, of course. Seriously, I can’t think of that song without hearing curly dude’s accented voice in my head.

So it this is the third day at on “the job” and all things considered it isn’t going all that bad. Yesterday, despite some hiccups, involved a change of plans, which I will regale you with a little later on, I assure you, hah.

Let’s start at the beginning. We were up at the crack o’ dawn (7 AM), of course, rushing through checking everything we were going to need (not too much, since we were using the Opel…Market day, you know, aaaargh) having breakfast and stocking a bag with food before rushing out to the car and driving off.

As planned we arrived a little earlier than the first time, seeing as “boss lady” had to go somewhere and would wait for our arrival before departing. Got started without little trouble, and despite the fact that we had planned to put up the corners of the fence, we had to change that plan as well, due to faulty parts from the construction company. *sigh*

Did end up with on corner pole, and the middle pole with two supports because we had managed to take along four bags of sand, a couple of bags of cement and a handful of poles. Seriously, going up that mountain we doubted several times if the poor car was going to make it. Hah
But it did, of course, and we spent the majority of the day using shovels, jackhammer, and chops to finish the remainder of the holes. Regretfully, while digging the last two we realized that the ground did a drastic upward pitch. So we conferred and in the end decided to ditch four holes and dig five new ones…or was it three holes and exchange them for four? Hmmm. I can’t remember. Either way, I made a good dent in those while big brother used to the jackhammer in the last corner. He had to get through several layers of rock, and did another session there today, in fact, but made good progress. Yay.

Managed to trim an olive tree, which is fun, a favor for boss lady, and, well, necessary. Hah. Poor olive trees, all its sunlight blocked out. I doubt I’ll manage them all, but who knows.
Was pretty much running on fumes yesterday, and the occasional rain didn’t improve that. Seriously, I was pretty chilled by the time we got home…and once home things didn’t get much better since the stay-over dogs made a lot of racket during the night, robbing little sister of her sleep. This meant that the younger sibs spent a good part of the afternoon emptying the igloo of storage, which in turn meant that big brother and I had a load of stuff to carry away, before we got around to loading up the Land Rover for today. There was sand to upload, rolls of diamond fence, a wheelbarrow and other tools, cement, and o course the thirty or so poles that we somehow had to fit in the back without them being a menace during driving. Also, we had to leave enough room for Knight II, who I was determined to take along today. In particular since he can be a handful for Grandpa, not to mention be a menace toward the other dogs when I get home. *sigh*

Chaos has been pretty outraged with me these past three days, by the way. He just doesn’t get why I would leave him, the Gorgeous. Neither can I, but life can sometimes be a tad unfair, eh? Hah.
And FYI I’m missing the yard. All sorts of veggies are growing up without me being there to check on them. *sniff*

I was pretty out of it during the night, and quite disoriented when the alarm went off. For a moment there I couldn’t remember why I would have to wake up before dawn…then of course the usual aches and gripes of this ol’ body started to make themselves known, and I groaned as I rolled out of bed.
There were chores to do and breakfast and lunch to make since cousin Ed had to go to work herself and was unable to help out by making it for us. *sigh* So, after laundry and such, I rushed up to bake pancakes while packing leftover spaghetti and all that.

We were loaded to full capacity, Knight II was in the back, and we made it up the mountain with little difficulty. Got started, after introducing Knight II to the local dogs. He was scared out of his mind, and would have fled back into the car.

Trimmed three more olive trees, which was an excellently calming way to start the day. Dug more holes and set a total of twelve poles during the course of the day. Used the chainsaw on a dead tree, trudged through the mud since there was lots of rain…even had to stop for about half an hour because it was coming down in buckets. Had a nice cozy visit with the boss lady, though. Chatted some, drank hot coffee and then headed out again to finish for the day.

Hauled three rolls of fence up an incline (my face looked red like a lobster afterward, hah) 19 poles or so, metal wire and all that nice stuff which we’re going to need to finish this job up. Having cleaned up after ourselves we headed back home, and stopped at the construction company to get the gate, which is the bad news. Grrr.

The gate we’d set our eye on was sold, so now he has to order both, and what with it being Semana Santa (Easter) pretty much the entire country is on hold. *sigh* Darn it. There goes the plan of finishing this all this week. I hate bringing news like this, but of course this is part of the construction bizz. It is always more than planned. Double darn it.

But anyway, two more supports bought, the last roll of fence having arrived and loaded into the car (I was horrified by my pants. I had red mud up to my knees, and all sorts of other messy colors all over my clothes. Hah) we finally headed home.

There we loaded (grandpa was kind enough to insist on doing that) up the necessary sand and some extra tools, prepared what we could for tomorrow, and then settled down around 9:30 PM to unwind a little.

And now I need sleep, so I am going to sign off and see if I can do a better blog the next time ‘round. Hah.

No comments: