Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Done for now

Song of the day: “Crazy” by Patsy Kline. I know, been there, done that, but what can I say, I had all sorts of songs in my head today, including (covers head in embarrassment) Miley and Billie Ray Cyrus with their Hannah Montana song “Butterfly fly away”. *sigh* Ah, who cares anyway, it’s a sweet little song.

So let’s get you up to date as to what’s been happening the past couple of days. We were up at the crack of dawn yesterday, and were looking at a sky that was pretty overcast even as the light of day began to spread across the valley. There was a miserly rain, a sturdy wind from the west, and after the usual chores such as laundry I was in the kitchen baking pancakes for our lunch. While I was doing that, big brother was checked the car and its contents, making sure we had everything we were going to need.

We were a little late, but if we kept the pedal to the metal, we were probably going to make it in time…or at least we would have if we hadn’t driven around the mountain and came upon the magnificent view of massive rain clouds masking the distant mountains where we have been working since the weekend. Seriously, there was some good black and dark gray working there, so we pulled over, debated a moment and then phoned to let the “boss lady” know that it wasn’t going to work. We had to pour concrete for at least ten poles (I forgot the count) and since that red mud has a tendency to gather around the boots like elephant skin, hah, it really wasn’t the smartest thing. Just the trip there costs a mint, so rather than waste time and money, we all agreed that it would be better that we skipped a day.

So we did, and cousin Ed and grandpa looked up funny when we returned five minutes after departure. Strange how such a change of plans can deflate you. Seriously, first I was revving to go, and slowly I started to “sag” if ya know what I mean. So, rather than hang limply around in the carport, I headed down into the yard (despite the rain) and started harvesting. Got a load of tomatoes from the greenhouse (yay), four cauliflowers from the yard, along with a big batch of broccoli. By that time I was really “sagging” so after a short discussion with big brother we decided to look up our respective beds and have a nice little nap.

Slept a solid hour and a half, and it was WONDERFUL. I had my doggies around me, they were plastered against me like a blanket and kept me nice and toasty…not to mention sore in so many places I didn’t even bother to categorize them. Hah.

Since I had a little time on my hands, I took tenant outside (we walked and chatted a little) and before the rain started up again, I managed to trim her hair. She really disliked her longer hair, and though I dislike short hair, it is in the end her choice, isn’t it. *sigh* Ah well.

What’s next? Well, big brother fixed one of the shovels. It snapped in the middle. And I started on supper of fresh cauliflower, tomatoes, and some potatoes. It was delicious, thank you very much.

The dogs have been behaving remarkably well through the entire ordeal. Sure, there were some hairy moments for grandpa and cousin Ed, but on the overall they’re managing the lot. Poor darlings. So patiently waiting all day, only to have for a couple of hours before we go to bed (of course they love the bed part as well, so, whatever). Oh, and tick season is once again in full swing. Grrrr.

There was a trip to town for picking up market stuff, which took big brother and me about two and a half hours (also in the rain) to get done. By the time we got home and settled down for the edit, we were pretty much pooped again, so we only managed about two or three pages (with both of us ending up a bit snarky about a particularly tricky sentence).

Was a little late getting to bed, of course, but was under the blankets and in the dark at one thirty in the morning. *sigh* Before I knew it (it felt like five minutes) the alarm went off at seven, and it was once again time to get ready and going.

No pancakes to make this morning, (had the ones from yesterday still in the fridge) so just a quick breakfast, lock up the dogs, except Knight II (decided to take him along again) and then heading out. Arrived right on time, again, announced our presence, and after a nice chat, got started.

Got in all the poles, yay. Also trimmed a few more olive trees, listened in on the Spanish neighbor talking to his gardener (good to practice my Spanish) played with puppies, (so adorable, puppies, in particular if you can just enjoy them) dug some more, hauled six piles of olive branches into the woods, (went rather well with wrapping a rope around the bunches and just dragging it along) aligned, realigned and checked the poles, and then…well, then it was the end of the day, and we spent some time cleaning up the messes we’d made because, much to our regret, we can’t finish the fence until we get the gates. And since it is Semana Santa, the gates won’t be there until next week, which means that we couldn’t set one of these today, and thus we had to inform the “boss lady” that we need two more days (while she’s out of the country) once we have the gates. I hate it when this happens, in particular since I hadn’t counted on that extra trip. So I was forced to ask for another twenty bucks, which I severely dislike. Ah well, I can give up time, but not expenses. Darn it.

Ah well, no helping it, boss lady is a nice one, and she understood, so all is well. While she’s out of the country, (and as soon as the gates are there) we’ll be back out there to finish the project, of course.
For what it’s worth, I’ve rather enjoyed the past four days. It made for a nice change, I think.

Got home right on time, and went on down into the yard to check on everything, and to harvest four more cauliflower and a basket of broccoli. Since cousin Ed had already gathered chard and boiled potatoes, all we had to do was bake the chard and broccoli, and then it was time to eat supper. *sigh*

Well, that was about it. We decided not to do an edit today, but are watching Tin Tin instead. So far so good.
I am definitely ready to call it a day.

No comments: