Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Feeding time

Song of the day: “Never no more” by Patsty Kline. Boy, do I have a lot of Patsy in my head. It should drive me bonkers…and yet it doesn’t. Hah.

First off, I spent yesterday morning messing around in the kitchen (I soooo want my outside kitchen. Seriously, I’m going to start building that soon) and making a couple of cream/rice/vanilla tart. It turned out slightly different than the last one, but that’s what makes experimenting so much fun, doesn’t it? Decided to top this one off with raspberry jelly, and I can assure you that it works just fine. The next time I’ll skip the coconut shavings in the crumble bottom, though. It’s not that it was bad, or anything, just a tad prominent, which didn’t go as well with the raspberry, in my opinion.

The weather was nothing if not wishy washy yesterday. Grandpa called it real Easter weather. One moment it was hot as heck, and the next a cloud would slip in front of the sun and it would be downright chilly. Had him swear on several occasions while he was turning earth in the upper terrace. Hah.

What with the large batch of bread we managed to get our hands on, we’ve been making dogfood ourselves for the past few days. That meant that both yesterday and today was spent on mixing up foodstuffs (boiled veggies from the yard, leftover food from the fridge, old bread and kibble) and then feeding it to the lot. They love it, I assure you. In particular the oldies who clearly remember the old days when they would only get home made food. *sigh* If only.

Next we fixed the home trainer bike the lady of the fence gave us for tenant. She wasn’t using it, so we took it home, took it apart and fixed it up. Works just fine…maybe even better, seeing as tenant sits straighter on it and is able to stay on longer than she can on the other one. She’s most pleased with it. Hah. In fact, she used it for a full seven minutes after I helped her climb on.

Tenant settled, we headed down the yard where I spent about an hour watering the terraces. Everything is doing pretty well, and since there was some food of the dogs left (enough for this morning) I didn’t need to get anything from the yard except two cauliflowers which we ate for our own supper

Next it was back up to the kitchen to make supper and following that up by an edit, the day quickly came to an end. *sigh*

We had a short scare that Cousin Ed’s dog might have killed the wild cat that we have wandering about these parts, but late last night we saw it moving around outside the gate and it looked perfectly fine. In fact it was chasing after something, so it really was alright. *phew* Vastly reassured.

Regretfully I woke from a nightmare this morning. I would elaborate but it was just whacky, so there really is no point to it. Let’s just say that it had some basis in an old movie I saw once. It involved Liz Hurley (I know, weird, right?) hunting dogs, some crazy dude with a godly hunter complex and…well, let’s just say I was breathless when I woke up. So weird.

Another feeding session with the dogs, which went just fine. They’re loving it, the attention as much as the food. Hah. That done, and with tenant joining us down by the basin (she offered to cut veggies for the dog food tomorrow) cousin Ed and I got rid of our shoes and planted about thirty of forty cauliflower and broccoli seedlings. Since there was some space left afterward, I also put in a handful of onions. All in all that was a splendid day, in particular since afterward I headed down into the yard (very carefully due to the bare feet, of course, hah) for some harvesting. Got another small cauliflower. Some broccoli, a whole batch of Kale, which the dogs are going to enjoy tomorrow, some chickweed, alfa alfa and two big nopales which are all part of the big pans of veggie mixes that are boiling even now on the stove. Boy are they going to enjoy that tomorrow. We added some pumpkin too, for protein, you know. Did most of the cutting and dicing with tenant, who likes being useful, and listened to the racket when the owners of our visiting dogs arrived and took their lot along.

By the way, it is weird to see how some dogs despise the fresh veggies and go for the kibble with broth, while others sort through the mess in search for pieces of vegetable as much as they can. I mean it, Abacara loves boiled cabbage, she will literally fight for it. Heck, even Knight II is eating well at the moment. Though I put his bowl in the standard for him, he will eat a bite or ten there, and then spent the rest of the half hour eating a bit here, there, and then the next. For the Knight the grass is always greener on the other side. Hah.
As for my fat boys and girls…Labhana, Gada and Chaos, along with some others like Indigo, Ama and Tadaika, those we have to put out in the carport lest they eat ‘till the bursting point. Hah

It was not a good market day, apparently, but that probably had something to do with a massive fire going on at some sort of wood factory near to where the market is located. All in all, it wasn’t all that bad, but they’ve done better.

Other than that…well, what with the watering, cooking supper and picking up a small donation in town, the day quickly came to an end. Did eat more pie, though. Hah.

Well, gotta go. I’m running way behind.

No comments: