Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Nodding off again

Song of the day: “This is it” by the great Michael Jackson of course. If you’re forced to be saddled with an earworm, you might as well have a good one in your head.

Okay. I’m going to start with the bad news and take it from there.
This morning, after little more than three days of “feeling under the weather” we were forced to have Tallis put down. I was handling it well enough, until I started writing this blog and started looking for a picture of him between the gazillion of pictures that I’ve got stored in a file somewhere. Dogs pics aplenty, with more than twenty of them featuring dogs that have passed away during the past few years, darn it. Have you any idea how depressing that is? Not to mention that you want a picture of a dog that was not only people shy but camera shy as well. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a pic somewhere but I’m going to have to show it later when I’m in a better mood .

Tallis:
We rescued poor Tallis from Triple A (a local shelter where we liberated plenty of dogs) when he was nigh on eight weeks old. He was this tiny dog sitting miserably in the corner of this big run filled with noisy puppies. He sat there, his back legs spread wide, his fat little tummy bulging between them as he watches us suspiciously. We were sold on the spot, what with his white fur and fox colored spots, including one eye socket, creating a rather fun effect. He was a shy, but happy puppy, right up until he was hit with a round of Parvo as a three month old puppy. He lost his tummy then, and with it his cheerfulness, I fear.
Though Tallis always enjoyed following big brother around, and continued to do that right until the end, he had, what appears to be, a stroke maybe two months ago. Since then his tongue lolled out, and he had trouble with his balance. That didn’t stop him from following big brother around, though.
Then, in the last few days things got worse, leaving us with this morning when he basically froze up and practically fell over before big brother could reach him. That was it. That was enough. We weren’t going to drag it out this time, because that just wouldn’t be right.
So, the dreaded decision was made (after I had Knight IIs bandage changed) and he passed on without a fuss and without an effort. Poor guy…except of course that he had a good long life, what with being born in 1998.

Which reminds me. I’m going to have to take Chaos along to the vet tomorrow. Clearly someone bit him in his ear, and now there’s some skin hanging there. *sigh* He’s now even more grumpy than usual.

Okay, I’ve been a little blue during the day, not to mention sore, since I apparently pulled my knee yesterday when I had to compensate to keep from falling flat on my face. *sigh* In case you missed it, yesterday was a working day for me and big brother. We were over at Liane’s and built the pillar there. At first we didn’t know if we were going to manage getting there, seeing as the weather was poor when we got up and discussed our options. There were clouds everywhere, but the forecasts claimed there was only a small chance that there would be rain.

So we decided to go…which meant loading up the entire car still, because grandpa hadn’t gotten around to it in the morning, due to the AM showers. *sigh* Not doing that again. Next time I want everything loaded and ready when it’s time to go. We loaded up food, drink and then we were on our way. Despite some rain on the way there, the weather was wonderful yesterday. A bit nippy and cloudy, but doable.

Liane was there most of the day, so there were some distractions. Added to that a friend of hers was there too, and together they took out the roses she wanted out of the way while big brother and I got started on the pillar.
Managed to get it all done during the course of the day, so, yay. Is looking good, I took a couple of pictures halfway there, but it was already getting too dark when we finally finished up and started cleaning up after ourselves.

We were a little late driving home, but when we got there (big brother couldn’t keep his eyes open on the way back so we exchanged seats with me behind the wheel instead. Not smart to do driving when your eyes want to go to sleep. Eh?) we had to quickly unload, lock up my dogs again, and head on out again to pick up some stuff.

Which was the theme for today, by the way. I was away from home for more than six hours. First taking Knight to the vet (an Tallis). Then to the construction company, some small things to pick up in the village and then on the way home. Right after we headed for town to get the load of beams we need for the balcony. Managed to get the whole lot up on the imperial, so that was reassuring, despite one beam being more than 150 feet long. But we succeeded and even managed to get the supplies we needed (screws to go all the way through). Didn’t get home until after five, and once we stored away the wood, cleaned out the Land Rover and had a quick snack, we had to go to the village again. First off to drop the chainsaw at the repair shop, and second to pick up some extra veggies for the dog food. Ended it all with a trip to the pharmacy for mom, and then it was back home where dog food still had to be finished cutting, while big brother baked spaghetti with peppers and onions.

Have a bit of a swollen knee by the way. Pulled it yesterday hauling something or other.
There was laundry, of course, cooking, breakfast and all that jazz.
Plans of the outside kitchen are once again in motion. You won’t believe the spot we’re thinking of now. I’ll take pics.

Gawd, I need sleep. I can barely keep my eyes open and already needed to delete three nonsense sentences because I dropped of. I’ll try to find that picture of Tallis later this week, or something.

No comments: