Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Visit to the vet's once more.

I wake well rested this morning, the record of my first eight hours in more than seven months, having its effect by lessening the shadows under my eyes. I’m a little fuzzy around the edges and stagger about throwing the dogs out the door before I slowly start on the morning rituals.

Yesterday’s moodiness seems to have passed, but I’m still not my cheery self by the time I’ve dressed for the day and gathered my things in the computer bag, which I always take to the main house with me. Heavy clouds loom in the West. Thick and heavy gray mountains of moisture that lay sluggishly on the horizon. I do hope that they won’t come our way. They look like they can brew up a mighty storm and considering that the chill in the air has already made me pull on several layers, I really don’t need more bad weather at this point.

There is a busy schedule ahead, so I don’t mind that today’s not an exercise day, and get the laundry done first, both hanging and folding before I have a quick breakfast. With coffee in hand and OJ pressed against the wall so the dogs won’t knock the glass over, I start up the computer and open the “insert” file of the latest vampire book.

What with getting so little done yesterday, I’m determined to use the next few hours to get a full scene down, before it is time to head for the car and take Lubika to the vet.
It goes well, I’m pleased to notice and though I get distracted when big brother wants to discuss some more details of the background story, in the end I manage to finish with four pages to add to the full-length novel.

It’s a good scene. Virtually a death scene, but it is potent and I feel almost giddy upon putting down the last few sentences, which then gets big brother excited when I read it out loud. It’s perfect for what we have in mind, giving a totally new twist to the vampire cliché and making “special” in more ways that one.

Since our appointment at the vet’s is still more than an hour away, I take the opportunity to read some in one of the books I’m reviewing. It is not the type of book I would buy for myself, seeing as I’m a little shallow that way and not ashamed to admit it. Hah. I like happy endings in reading, writing, watching and real life, and this collection certainly misses that aspect, which I find so very important in fiction. But still, it is well written and done in such a way that it make me curious as to what will happen next.

The time to depart arrives, and with it middle sister and I head for the car so we can take Lubika (mini Boxer) to the doctor. The poor Boxer is terrified of entering the car. Unlike her sister Amos, she’s the timid of the two lunatics and shivers as she sits against her master in the backseat while we head for the village.

Upon arrival the first thing I say to the young vet is that the previous times we witnessed these symptoms with more of our dogs it turned out to be a uterus infection. I’m most surprised that she practically takes my word for it, and only takes Lubika’s temperature and says she wants to do an ultrasound before they decide what to do.

I’m pretty sure that they’ll have to remove the uterus, the way they did with the other females we brought in (three in total) but they’re confused, stating that the swelling is only minor and that they really wish to have our regular vet check the Boxer out before they decide on a prognosis.

Since they aren’t exactly sure of his time of arrival middle sister and I pop in the bazaar next door where we do some minor purchases before we head for a small cafeteria for a quick snack to kill time.

By the time we return, the practice if filled with other customers–and canine and feline patients–and while his attention is vied for by most, our vet comes in our direction and explains that Lubika probably has a small cyst which is just starting to cause an infection inside her uterus…thus making our visit “in time” for once. The Boxer isn’t ill yet and now she will be operated in the morning, to get rid of the problem before complications arise.

Relieved about the prognoses and set surgery, we head home, middle sister’s relief tangible. Together we battle the jubilant pack when we return into the house. The contrast between the temperatures of outside’s chill and inside’s warmth is somewhat shocking, but at least it warms up my limbs as we eat the tasteful dinner little sister had prepared in our absence.

Dinner done and the TV playing a show that fails to really capture my interest, I start writing a new scene and get half a page done before the new show “Burn Notice” begins. I have to admit that I like this show a lot. The way the main character leads you through the story is entertaining and it does give a rather interesting insight into the world of spies. It certainly makes me regret that I missed the pilot, ‘cause I’m pretty sure it must have been great, too.

Afterwards, still seated in the comfortable armchair I took up during the show, we watch an old episode of Las Vegas, during which little sister dyes my hair, the way we’d been planning to do for weeks now, but never found the time for.

By the time the show comes to an end, I’ve showered, my hair’s a deep chestnut brown and I’m more than ready to call it a day as I head up the mountain to my cabin for the night.

After feeding the dogs, reading another chapter of the review book and settling behind the computer for today’s Blog, I’m pretty pleased to see the day come to an end, and log on to do a final survey of the forums and messages.

No comments: