Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Boooooring. Hah.

Strange, barely cohesive dreams disturb me during this night. Conversations that came to an end a long time ago, letters that were never written, events that went different or never occurred, it is all very confusing when I wake up and blink at Chaos who is sprawled on the pillow beside me, his nose just an inch or two away from mine. (Aaagh. Talk about dog breath, hah!) He wags his tail in a lazy good morning and then drops his head to promptly drift off to sleep, even though the monster and giant are already making a racket at the foot end of the bed.

The alarm hasn’t gone off yet, more proof of the dreams throwing me off track, and determined to sleep at least the number of hours I’d planned–didn’t get to bed ‘till after six a.m. nonetheless–I roll over and close my eyes. Next thing I know the alarm goes off and I grimace at the full-blown cacophony of the pack, eager to head on out.

Quickly, I go through the morning rituals, reading the last chapter of my recreation novel “Moonstruck in Manhattan” and then getting dressed so I can go outside.
A different pain is present in the knee today–seems like it switches location and intensity every time–this one is located right under the kneecap and feels sharp and narrow…if that makes any sense?

Considering that I promised to take it easy, I use the cane again heading down the mountain and entering the courtyard—just barely throwing my weight on the good leg when the two black labs almost bowl me over in their rush to get to the front door first. Calling my disapproval at their big butts heading inside, I shake my head and tap Chaos on the rump when he’s about to follow the labs’ example.

I make it to the house without mishaps and deposit my baggage before heading out again to hang today’s laundry. I’m in the midst of today’s batch when big brother arrives, his pack colliding with mine…which isn’t disastrous for a change since I remembered to lock Knight II in the pantry prior to heading out, Hah.

Nothing to fold, due to a chilly night, so I’m back inside in record time to put coffee on and prepare Yadzia’s breakfast. He’s standing right beside me his tail wagging slowly (it pains him, I think) and his eyes huge with eager anticipation.

With grandpa’s arrival the usual morning talk commences, which is a ritual all by itself. A day just doesn’t feel the same without one.
For about and hour we chat around the kitchen counter, before I start to set up my computer to get online for a bit. After doing the usual rounds of messages, chats and just surfing, I switch to the files and get ready to dig into the latest editing session.

We work on the family romance for several hours, until at last it is time for the dogs to be fed and for dinner to be cooked. With that in mind I head for the kitchen and look around to see what’s available.

A potato, vegetable mix, Italian style is my final decision as I start peeling the potatoes, careful to keep the peeled veggies away from the dogs that are eagerly looking up for the treat they know is to come.

It’s insane, really. You’d think I’m preparing meat for the rapt attention I’m receiving. The dogs love potatoes and on the days when I’m peeling them, creating vast pile of the remains, the dogs watch my every move until I finally pick the stuff up and toss it in their midst.

They’re on the treat like buzzards, tails wagging, feet scrambling, and mouths pecking at the peels that are scattered over the floor. In less than half a minute all is gone and they’re turning back to me, staring and bounding expectantly in hopes of getting more.

I shake my head at their winsome looks, and toss the raw cubes into the hot olive oil that’s standing on the center burner of the stove.
Next come the carrots and cauliflower, along with spices and herbs that send delicious scents into the house. Onions, garlic, leek and peppers soon join the mix as I add a liberal amount of cream and let it all broil for a bit. Sweat corn and peas are the final addition to the vegetable mix along with a helping of cottage cheese which completes the dish.

Dinner is a quiet affair today. Plates get filled and everyone disappears to their location of choice.
My knee is killing me after the hour spent on my feet, and with my plate in hand I hobble towards the chair and settle with a bag of frozen peas on my knee while I enjoy my meal, watching today’s episode of “The Closer”.

Once the show draws to an end we put on a recorded episode of “Life” after which the evening is rapidly drawing to an end. I go through a few quick chores in the kitchen and then pack up my things to head on up for the night.

After feeding Yadzia his nightly portion of kibble with tuna, and feeding the other pack members as well in the company of big brother who appears sometime in the middle of it all. We talk for a bit, planning, discussing and in the end tackle Knight II so I can treat his tail with disinfectant. This is something the Great Dane doesn’t appreciate, but we manage without any permanent damage to his mighty struggles.

Tomorrow I need to take Yadzia to the vet for his shot, but other than that we should have more than enough time to do the remainder of the editing.

No comments: