Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two days in one. *sigh*

Song of the day: “One way or another” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. I think I already had this one before. Considering I was unable to get yesterday’s Blog down, yesterday’s song of the day was: “Barrowland Ballroom” by Amy MacDonald.

So let me put together yesterday in a few words…or better yet one: Busy! Hah.
But of course I can’t leave it at that. I’m a yapper, and I have a serious case of TMI, so I’m just going to do a recount.

There was the edit, naturally, followed by building with rocks, plastering the upper part of an old window that has been waiting for completion since the house was built. The sand and cement we ordered from the construction company had arrived in the morning, so we had to start preparations for the pouring of concrete on top of the new terrace too.

Afterwards we went out to get reed canes. An old spot again, and though it wasn’t a marvellous spot like the later one we found, it was closer and access was a lot easier. Rather than drive back the usual way, we decided to head the opposite direction, just to figure out where near town it led. On the way there a large truck was unloading old doors at the local landfill (probably from a hospital or motel, or something) which we just had to have.

Grandpa would like to have the rock wall in his kitchen covered up against dust and such, so for that the perfectly white doors would be the perfect solution. With just a little work we could put them together, slap on some paint and turn them into a beautiful wall. But, of course the car was already filled to full capacity so first we had to head home to deposit the load; not an easy task with the road construction going on.

We did, in the end, manage to get the doors (just barely, since the seven almost didn’t fit in the car) but by the time we were finally back for the second time, it was already midnight. We were pretty darn bushed, so after another hour of editing I really couldn’t muster the energy for the Blog…thus explaining why there wasn’t a new one yesterday.

So, let’s move on to today - yes, it was busy too, and I almost decided against doing today’s Blog as well, but my blogging addiction prevailed and here I am. Hah.

Okay, today: I was about half an hour early today, as was planned when we went to bed last night.

Concrete pouring day has arrived, so if we want to get any editing done we’re going to have to get cracking fast. We actually manage a solid six pages before two hours earlier than usual.
The temperatures are still remarkably pleasant these past few days. Staying well under 30 degrees on the most part, and that is downright marvelous considering we’re doing so much outside work.

But anyway, first thing that needs to be done is remove the large rocks that are still lying on the terrace that we’re going to work on today.
Next is removing and cleaning everything else on it, before fences are set up to keep the dogs from getting in the way later on. The dogs are not happy, I tell you. They literally cluster around the new fencing the moment they’re erected, looking as if we’re giving them corporal punishment rather than keep them at a two-yard distance from where we work. Gawd, they are so darn dependent. Hah.

But it works; they are safely behind the fence when middle sister and I start making cement.
The two youngest sibs have taken control over the sand supply, with little sister up on the mountain outside the fence where the sand is stored, little brother brings down the sand so we can supply big brother with cement.
Middle sister is soon preparing the cement and I disperse it wherever big brother needs it and so we start making the concrete floor.

Hours pass but the progress is excellent. After two hours of shoveling cement over the terrace, grandpa takes over from me, so I can help big brother create a smooth surface. Things really start to speed up by then, and before dusk arrives we have finally finished the floor. It’s looking gorgeous…I’ll add pictures at the bottom so you can see. Hah.

Big brother and I are both sore all over from the lifting, bending and squatting, so while the younger sibs head inside (They’re off to different ventures. Today the venture is a Soccer game on the TV…I don’t know where they’ve got it from, but for some reason they love it) big brother and I decide to head for the sea for a quick dip. After bending over most of the afternoon, doing a total different exercise is just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

It takes us ages to find a parking spot in town. For some reason today the tourists were all out on the Boulevard, but we do manage to park the car in the end, and dive in to crawl a little and then float in the waves for a bit. The sea was rather pleasant today, nice and warm, and the waves gentle but reasonably high.

Once we’re back home, I’m running a little late on the Blog, so it’s a relatively short one, so who cares.

Here’re the pics of today’s project:



One side of the before.



The other side before.



After. Nice and smooth, isn't it?



After too. Yeah, it stunned me too that we actually managed it, but working together you really can get a lot done.

Well, that's it for today. I'm gonna be out like a light in no time tonight, I'm thinking.

No comments: