Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Writing fun.

Song of the day: “Dream a little dream” by the Beautiful South. Had it before, I think, but still a grand song.

So, considering that today was basically the same as yesterday…well precisely actually. Hmmm. That’s weird, but whatever…I thought we’d do something different again on the Blog and fill up some space with practice writing. I had this idea of an extraterrestrial being, so I started writing about it and thought it came out interesting. First person narrative, which is not my usual cup of tea, but still, it was fun to do.

The Alien.

Space as far as the eye could see, it was all around me; distant stars glittering within the infinite blackness, beacons that blinked at me, sparkled enticingly within the deep black. So pretty, so still. I drifted aimlessly within the emptiness and heard it, wondered about the far-away call coming from so far away. What did it want? Where did I have to go?
I stirred in my slumber, a shift of luminous vapors and moving matter that set me apart from the emptiness all ‘round. Awareness was a peculiar sensation, swirling within me like a vortex as I began to move for real. Tendrils of pink and yellow colors floated through space, sweeping outward as I tested my limits, solidified to a point where motion would be effective.
No body to speak of, except for light and particle clouds that began to listen to the inner demand of “being”.
The call was strong, a tingly sensation that rolled over me time and again; I had to go, see what it was, move, live and awaken fully from the deep slumber that had held me in its grasp forever it seemed.
A battle of wills, inactivity standing strong against this tiny spark of wanting, needing.
The tendrils of my gaseous body swayed out for real, the need victorious of inertia at last as I begin to move, gathered up momentum with tremendous effort. Slow, infinitely slow, like pushing through cold molasses, speed increased, the distant call my sole buoy within the emptiness of space.
Color faded from the particles that pushed me forth, bright white light replacing it when jubilation of movement surged through me. It was a powerful wave of energy, this sensation, tripling my speed and sending me hurling forward until the stars around me blurred into tiny bright lines.
I gasped at the sensation, the thrill of it like nothing I had ever felt before as I continued on my way. The call was drawing nearer, adding to my excitement as in the distance I began to see the outline of a small solar system that spiraled in the vacuum of space.
A bright yellow star, surrounded by tiny planets orbiting around it somewhat erratically; it lies straight ahead, pulls at me almost.
Speed increases without effort, the vapors that make up my body, cluster together, gaining more shape when I pass the outer planet. It is a tiny little thing, orbiting leisurely, and barely more than a spot in my vision.
I continue on, more planets passing like blurry flashes of color while I spiral towards the star, using its gravity like an anchor, hauling me in.
There, right there: It’s the voice, coming from the third planet colored a pretty blue and green. The orb turns sluggishly around its axel, and while I surround it, my gaseous form easily forming a shell that keeps it in its center I wait - try to locate the source of the luring voice.
For only a moment, I linger there, the swift orbit around the star almost making me dizzy, but there it is, on a large land mass wedged between deep blue oceans the call continues to lure me closer.
Tentatively I pull myself together, going closer and closer as I take shape an propel down into the clouds that swirl within the atmosphere.
Their beautiful and I am tempted to linger there in the warm light of the star, shining on me, through me until every particle of my being sparkles. But there she is again, the voice. She calls to me, urges me on, so I pull even closer together, plunge down towards the surface.
Gravity pulls heavily and when I land, the ground gives beneath my feet, sending up a cloud of rock and sand.
I have arms and legs now, two of each, with feet that stand firmly on the red soil beneath me.
Warm sunlight cascades down on me, the clouds overhead a pretty sight as in the distance tall structures tower high into the air. There, off to the left where a shimmery surface, just like water, pierces up from the hilly landscape, is the source of my lure. But there are more voices now, millions of them, all crowded together in what appears to be a massive habitat of sorts. I am undaunted however, for I must find the one who has called to me.
Muscles I did not have before flex as I put my first step and then climb up from the minor crater that my landing caused. Off to the right, there where the light falls prettily down, tall organic life blooms vibrant green, and delightful scents tease my newly developed nostrils.
I wish I could linger, but do not. I must find what I came for; fulfill my purpose no matter what the cost.

Well, that’s about it I guess. Kinda fun to do and, well, who knows, it might lead to something someday. Hah.

No comments: