Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sucks.

Song of the day: “Broken strings” by James Morrison and Nelly Furtado. Didn’t discover this song until last year, and I’ve gotta say that it surprised me. I don’t generally like Morrison, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Ah, another workday past and we did it in such a way that we didn’t need to go out again this morning. Luckily for us, John Doe (main distributor, remember?) was once again early, so we managed to do the village at the end of the evening and be done with the whole thing.

A bit of bad news first. Yesterday morning started out with a trip to the vet’s together with tenant. It was time to have her little dog, Hummel put down, and it was a rather emotional morning for all of us (her, of course, her caregiver and me).
Fourteen-year-old Hummel had cancer in all her mammal glands, had cataract in both eyes, was deaf, and as of last week developed a very bad ear infection. She was often gazing into nothing, cried in her sleep and couldn’t hold her bladder anymore. And thus, it once again points out why life can totally suck. *sigh*

Regretfully Hummel was a rescue dog, and since tenant really couldn’t stay in the room while the necessary had to be done, I helped her out into the waiting area to then return to little Hummel who’s had traumas from the day we brought her home as a present for tenant. Poor dog never did get over being touched, and though over the years she had mellowed enough to enjoy frequent pettings, during the past few months she had gotten worse again. Today was no different. In the end the overdose anesthetic did her in and she became quiet in my arms.

All three of us, sobbed like little girls, no matter how often we have gone through this particular ordeal before. It just sucks, there is no other way to describe it.

Let’s change the subject because this is making me depressed. It was a work day, so is more to tell.

First of all, I went past that restaurant/cocktail lounge I mentioned last week, and talked to the owner to see if she would agree to let me work there for a day, so I would be able to write about it.
I’ve got to admit that the idea is starting to appeal to me. I think I’m going to be brutally honest with the whole blog/column thing and explain that after fifteen years of being buried inside my books, it would be fascinating to discover if the jobs I’ve described in my stories, are even remotely true.

Worst-case scenario I’ll have something incredibly embarrassing to tell, best-case scenario, I’ll have interesting topics to talk about. We’ll just gonna have to wait and see how it works out, but so far I’ve made some tentative ventures as to places where to do it. There will be a really English Fish and Chips place, which I always pass on my paper route. The cocktail lounge/restaurant, and perhaps even a gym. It’ll be a fun experience to write about, I’m thinking.

But let’s not get ahead of things, first I’ve got all the arrangements to see to, then find a nice way to talk about it, and then…heck, then I might even open an entirely different page on blogger for it. Hah.

Be that as it may, let’s get back to the present. I went past the Indian restaurant again to talk with the owner about advertising, but he didn’t like the rather generous offer John Doe had made. So now we’ll go back to the me being distributor and him being a drop spot, and I am rather happy with that. They’re a rather intense lot over there, and stuff would just get more difficult in the end.

The route went fine, no hiccups this time, not even a flat tire, like last week, hah. I had a few nice chats, even with the waiter from the Indian restaurant, so we’ll just continue to chat when I come past. I also thanked the lady who suggested her daughter’s cocktail lounge, and she then informed me that her boss was likely to agree as well.

The weather wasn’t as pleasant as it could have been, but we had a bit miserly rain only in the end. There were massive clouds rumbling in from the west, though, and they looked mightily impressive, I’ve got to admit. Big piling clouds of a variety of slate gray and black, rolling in on this chilly, and fierce wind coming from the ocean. Both yesterday and today (it persisted) felt a little bit like some sort of fantasy movie/book, where the forces of evil come roaring closer, sweeping everything in its path. Of course the last part didn’t happen, but from the looks of things, it could have. Hah.

So anyways, we finished our official route around eleven thirty and then headed for the village for the last part. Afterwards I was seriously tired and dove into bed with my doggies, who were more than eager to share their warmth with me. Seriously, heat-wise a heating pad doesn’t compete with a 120 pounds Great Dane with more heat than you can imagine. I was toasty within less than half an hour. The darlings were so happy to see me, even Labhana wanted on the bed. She never does, but for about half an hour she just snuggled close and looked blissful while I held her close. Same goes for Chaos, by the way. He toddled his way to the head end of the way and flopped down to strike a supposedly attractive pose.

Today…well, I woke from a dream where I was babysitting the kids of Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni (yeah, I know, Family Man. It’s been years since I saw the movie, and yet there they were as if I had seen it last night, or something). Rather weird dream.

The morning was spent taking our frozen veggies (you know, the ones we froze during the harvest season this summer) up to tenant’s so I could make ratatouille for our brunch.
While big brother stared on welding our planned imperial for the Land Rover, Grandpa and I started on planning and putting together tenant’s future solarium.

We gathered the wood that would be necessary, measured the glass we saved for this particular project, and started sawing. We’ve got the main frame all together and started on clean-up around six. Everything that could be done before tomorrow got done, and the rest, well, we’ll see if we can get to it ‘round tomorrow after we pick up our friend in Marbella.
That means we only need to go out three times this week because…oh, did I mention it already? Friday is the dreaded grocery shopping day. Seriously, where does the time go? I mean it, it’s not funny. The last time was already three weeks ago (come Friday) and yet, if I asked, I would swear a week and a half at most. I HATE grocery shopping day. *sigh*

No matter though, what has to be done gets done in the end.
Well, I for one am looking forward to writing now. I’ve got a book to finish and am glad for it.

No comments: