Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Temporary change?

Song of the day: “Strange” by Wet Wet Wet. It has been a while since I had anything in my head from this band. Makes for a nice change, I say.

Well, I think it is safe to say that today is going to be a short blog for a change, considering yesterday was Monday work day, and except for the fact that I didn’t get paid yet (I sent an email but haven’t gotten an answer yet) and that John Doe wasn’t there, but a new guy. Let’s call him Dewey, shall we, ‘cause I’ve got a feeling I’m going to be mentioning him more often. Hah.

Dewey is a strange little fellow. He’s rotund, short and doesn’t say much, apparently. Personally I wouldn’t have hired him, but then, I never hired a person in my life, so who knows. Maybe he’s ridiculously good at his job…what, it’s possible, right? *sighs*

So anyway, the job went flawless. We could start at two thirty due to Dewey, so what with the route so very neatly lodged in our heads already, we arrived home at nine thirty for a change. It was a novel experience, I’ll say that much for it. Heck, we even managed to do a four, or five page edit in the end, which is always a good thing for as far as I’m concerned.

Got to be in bed in time, and had to get up at eight in the morning to pick up our friend in Marbella again. First we did a quick tour of the village to disperse the last few of the papers and then headed to the city.

Turns out this was the last time we needed to pick her up. After many months of complaints about her employer (she’s a caregiver for the elderly) she quit her job today and will be staying with us for a bit at least. A good thing too, since she’s been looking pretty bad late. Heck, I feared she was going to keel over any minute but she insisted on seeing the job through.
Her decision naturally, but I think she wouldn’t have had such a bad time of it if she had done it several weeks ago.

Ah well, no matter. What’s done is done, and this means that the budget is going to be a wee bit tighter once more. Not that I mind. Heck, I can do without cookies, cornflakes and other luxuries. I’m going to look at this as another good exercise in cowboying up, that’s for sure. It sill sure be interesting to see how things go. For the sake of her probably being in more blogs in the near future let’s call her Sally. Hah.

Okay, project wise. Once we got home this morning, we got to work immediately. Big brother’s floor…seriously, it’s a disaster. He sleeps with about thirty dogs and you can only imagine how bad it is…now, tenfold that and you’ll maybe have a slight idea how bad it is, hah.
So yeah, we ripped out about three square meters of his floor, just in time too, mind you, and then the same amount of ceiling of the living room, because the mess had seeped through. Grrr.
I was nauseous, I tell ya.

I spent most of the day measuring and sawing while big brother, grandpa and our friend Dani (she was visiting too and since she wants to learn DIY it was a perfect opportunity) ripped out the old floor. Rather than try to salvage anything of the mess, we sawed the old rotting wood to pieces and burned it in our winter vat without delay. It was nice and warm working near the vat, by the way. I didn’t think we were going to make it, but we did. The old is out, the new is in, painted and all, and come tomorrow (with a little luck) we’ll start laying the parquet tomorrow.

The day was beautiful, tenant joined me on my porch, keeping me company most of the day while she sat reading in the sunshine, and enjoying it.

The dogs were happy that we were home for the day, and happily alternated between sunbathing and lying around the burning vat. Boy do they like that. Sitabah was literally twisting into odd angles to get as close as possible to the heat. Dax likewise, and Knigth II sat at a slight distance, his head high and his eyes closed in bliss. Seriously, we’ve got some heat loving dogs here. Hah.

Well, I should get some more work done on the book, and I’ve got some messages to see to fast.

No comments: