Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Coming down in buckets

Song of the day: “Hero” by Enrique Iglesias, of course. I have his songs in my head often, don’t I? Not strange, since his songs are rather catchy most of the time.

Had a wonderfully calm couple of days, thank you very much. The weather didn’t permit much, forcing me to hide under the cover of a roof most of the time. Seriously, there were rivers streaming down our mountain (got the basin full completely), sweeping everything along. The new partition of the carport is working well, by the way. It’s keeping the wind out perfectly, and the water is only going where it’s supposed to…the gutter. Yay.

It was good to get small stuff done. Did some more leather branding experiments. Got some nice little patterns going, and I’m slowly learning new ones, and tricks how to make it look better, less amateurish. Hah.

Got some good writing done, not necessarily a lot, but good. Have added a new character to the story, a teenager who’s having some serious problems at home, has a big trauma in his past, and who is going to be an important part of the story, I think…at least, that’s what it’s looking like now. He’s not a transient. Turns out my “alien” is a little goofy and quite innocent, so I should be able to have some fun writing about him, too.

Spent some time this morning clearing away piles, and piles of laundry in my cabin. Too much was getting dirty again from just lying there, Dax jumping on top for a nap, that sort of thing. Took some time, seeing as there was so much of the stuff, but at least I’ve got some horizontal surfaces cleared again. High time, too. Hah.

During my second session of hiding in the car port of the insistent rain, was repairing a leather purse that can also be worn as a back pack. I’ve been planning on using it for the market, so I can keep my valuables on me, but just haven’t gotten around to it. Worked out well enough, thankfully, so I should be able to use it Sunday…which reminds me, due to the weather (despite that it has been clearing up for the past few hour) the Saturday market has been cancelled. Yay. Nothing against the market, mind you, but I kinda like the free day (for as far as you can call it free since I fully plan on doing something constructive at home), in particular since working on the balcony will start on Wednesday and we’re going to have to do some prepping for that.

There were of course the usual chores such as laundry and my daily trips to the vet with Knight II. He’s behaving remarkably well, but still, it is requiring a lot of attention. If I don’t pay attention to him, he’s either going to tug at the denim “boot” or he’ll come over to press himself against me. Like he’s in dire need of a petting, or something. Silly dog.

Chaos is upset with me at the moment. He’s having a bit of a bladder problem at the moment (a very mild infection) meaning that I can’t let him on the bed without me being there. That being the case he will try to get me to take him inside and lift him on the bed, despite my multiple explanations that he cant’.

Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: No Chaos. You can’t.
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: Stop barking. I said no.
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: No. Come here!
(he doesn’t of course, but stands, instead in the open doorway, trampling his paws like a horse and staring at me balefully)
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: Chaos!
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: Shut up.
Big brother: He’s not going to listen.
Me: Shut up!
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: Chaos. You shut up, too, please.
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Big brother: He’s going to continue until you put him on the bed.
(He shakes his head while I gesture at Chaos to come to me.)
Me: Chaos! Pretty please with a cherry on top.
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: CHAOS!!!
Chaos: Wharf, wharf. Wharf, wharf.
(more trampling, more looking)
This is usually where I give in and follow him inside to let him on the bed. But not today. I stood firm, thank you very much.
Me: Chaos! Please. Come on. Lie down over here, you don’t need the bed. You’re a big boy.
Chaos: Wharf.
Big brother: Persistent little bugger.
Chaos: Wharf, wharf.
Me: Yes, I know, Chaos. You’re the gorgeous. Come here, gorgeous. Come on.
Chaos: Wharf.
(a shuffle, a step in the right direction.)
Me: Come on, gorgeous. You can lie right here in front of the stove. (I nudge Tadaika aside to make some room for him.)
Chaos: Wharf, wharf. (Sniffle) Wharf, wharf!
Me: CHAOS! Get. Over. Here. And stop whining.
Big brother chortles, while the Chaos turns “the eye” on him. Then he sighs deeply, trots over and flops down onto my feet. Thank you, Chaos. *sigh*
He’s a character for sure.

But enough about the Chaos. What else happened. Well, I Cooked supper twice, of course. A nice mashed tomato carrot mix that I put together last night after big brother and I got back from a donation. Not much, but all the little bits help, right? And today a lentil veggie mix that I really needed to fix in a way that didn’t remind me at all of dhal. I love the smell of dhal, I just don’t like the taste, oddly enough.

A bit of news on the side about two dogs we’ve taken in for a week. Something went wrong during transport to the Netherlands (the owners are from there) where somehow the dogs got left at the airport, which meant that mom and little brother went to pick them up. So we’ve got stay-overs again. I’ve yet to meet them, really, seeing as they arrived late last night, but I’ll get to it somehow.

This morning, while taking Knight II to the vet, we also took along 14 year old Rammi, who’s gradually getting to be thinner and thinner, despite the fact that she’s eating extremely well. Though there are some lumps, the vet thinks it has more to do with her age than anything else.

Grandpa has been busy cleaning up in the carport, in particular since we’ll be spending a lot of days there during the rainy days. Busy there, in particular since Sally is joining us too. Good thing that, seeing as I don’t like it when she locks herself up in her cabin on her own. That can’t be good for her.

I spent some time on working with wood today. Those Chinese boxes, remember. I managed to glue together the new lid I’m designing, despite the fact that the moist air had the glue take forever to dry, darn it. Only managed to do one for that very reason. Ah well, maybe tomorrow.

Liane came today, bringing us the first installment for the balcony so we can buy the supplies we need to get started. With a little luck we’ll manage that tomorrow morning, while I take Knight to the vet, otherwise we’ll have to do it on Monday. I was pleasantly surprised that the dogs hardly responded to her, which is quite some change from the past where at least half of them would have stood there barking their heads off. Jeez. We used to have some serious barkers, but now, with age, they’re slowly quieting down, I think. Such a relief.

As expected the dogs were a little restless most of the day. It is a common occurrence during bad weather, of course, so I hope that the “clearing up” holds out tomorrow. They need to move…like me, for that matter. Seriously, if there’s no sunshine tomorrow I might crawl up the walls exorcist style. Hah.

Well that’s it for today. Let’s see on Monday if the Sunday market got canceled as well, eh? Would be a pity, considering I am allowed to take Knight II along until he’s healed, but whatever. We’ll see how it goes. According to the predictions the weather should be a tad better for the next few days.

No comments: