Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Wheww. Another day past.

So the morning starts reasonably on time, with the dogs causing their usual fracas and bursting outside the moment I open the door of the cabin to watch them go in the bright sunlight.

The knee is sore from the night, dogs pushing against, or standing on top of it not helping the healing process, I’m sure, still I don’t feel like taking painkillers as I go through the morning rituals, read a bit and then get dressed to head on down to the house for the day.

While grandpa joins us with the mail–one for me, yay–I find a letter from a reader who loved the W.I. Investigations–all four of them–saying that she found it amazing that there weren’t any boring parts in the story and that it was so wonderfully easy to read and so exciting at the same time, and that she couldn’t wait to read the next one(s). Wow! How’s that for a recommendation. I was titillated for sure…but then, I always am when I hear that someone loves my stories, hah. I wonder what she’ll think of “Trust Me” Said the Spy. She said she was going to read it next.

But anyway, even wonderful news like that doesn’t stop the normal chores from needing to be done, of course: There’s laundry waiting, both hanging and folding, along with boiling some chicken for Yadzia who can certainly use the extra protein now that he isn’t feeling well. That done, I go through the usual cleaning and then have a quick breakfast while chatting with big brother and grandpa.

By this time the chicken if done and I take out two parts for cooling while leaving the rest in the pot. Adding some bread, dog kibble, milk and broth, I take it to the pantry with Yadzia hot on my heels. He soon starts eating, eagerly making his way through the bowl and following me, after he’s done, to the living area where he insists on lying by my side, rather than his usual out-of-the-way place.

I make a bed for him beside my chair and set up the computer when an interesting segment starts on CNN. Apparently–I’ve heard of it before, but now new numbers have come in–the bee populations all over the globe are rapidly dying out…which, as anyone should be blatantly aware of, is disastrous.

Here everyone is worrying about the economy when something as important as the death of the insects that basically supply us with food are on the verge of going extinct. From what I managed to catch of the segment, more that 34 percent has already died, and the death rate is at, like 99 percent. Gawd. And to think that the newscasters manage to bring this kind of news with a smile, it baffles the mind.

Doesn’t anyone realize that if there are no bees to aid the produce industry there will be hardly anything left to eat? I mean, say bye bye to fruit, vegetables, and every tiny little plant that needs pollen to survive. Sure there are other insects that do the same thing, but not in those numbers. My God, this is a genuine catastrophe in the making. Heck it’s already well underway, if not close to the end, from the sound of it.
It was kind of an OMG experience that makes the economy hassles pale in comparison, but is it brought as such.

Grandpa was a farmer when he was young, and he is fully aware of what will happen if there are no more bees. He says that such a thing doesn’t only affect produce, but practically everything, throwing the natural balance totally off.

I’m not even going to begin about the climate, which will affect insects too, because that would keep us here for another sixty pages at least, so for now I’ll keep that with me. Hah.

Where was I? Oh yes…I set up my computer and after filling time with about half a page of the vampire novel, big brother and I shove our laptops side by side so we can edit “Meeting the Archers”, which has been in our planning for several weeks, but we didn’t get to it until now. We rigorously edit six pages, spending several hours with it until dinnertime arrives and the dogs need to be fed.

After we’ve had a quick dinner ourselves, of couscous stir fried with veggies–prepared by little sister–I do a quick round of the ceilings with the duster, removing newly formed spider webs before I get back to my computer and go online so I can go over today’s chats and messages now, rather than later in the evening.

While I’m busy trying to keep track of the conversations going on, “House” starts, distracting me until I finally finish up and close the laptop so I can sit back for the last part and enjoy “The Mentalist” which starts up right after.

My knee is really bothering me by this time. I don’t think that yesterday’s little exploit with the car up on the mountain was a very good idea. I pop a painkiller and place a bag of frozen peas on my knee in hopes of easing some of the discomfort.
It does, and in the end with the cold and painkiller combined I can relax and enjoy the show.

Neither big brother nor I can muster up the energy to do any more editing tonight, so instead we while away the evening in front of the TV until it’s time for me to retire.
Once I’m up in my cabin and fed the pack, including Yadzia who gets another dose of tuna through his bowl, I take the time to really examine Knight II’s tail. It’s worse than I thought. He’s got a gash of an inch and a half at least, proving that he got himself into a ruckus with one of the other dogs at some point.

Though it looks clean enough, I still apply a large amount of disinfectant and try to roll on a piece of gauze. But he removes it instantly, actually snarling at me before I soothe him with a long petting and by pushing three anti-inflammatory tablets down his throat before he knows what I’m about. Hah. You need to be sneaky sometimes.

By then the tasks of today have come to an end and I get settled on the bed with my computer for the last time today.

No comments: