Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A good day, lots of stuff.

Song of the day: “Ayo Technology” by Milow…not the Justin Timberlake version. Hah.

It was an interesting day, to say the least. The monster Boxer wakes me up three hours prior to waking time, and when I throw her out into the backyard and see her bouncing up and down in front of the door, I see it: The sky is completely and utterly overcast with thick clouds that have rolled in from the sea. It’s downright chilly, so I dig out a blanket and crawl under it for the necessary remaining hours of sleep.

When it is time to get up, the clouds are still there but I doubt they’ll stick much longer, so I dress in shorts and a top suited for an average summer day. Man, do I regret that when I’ve finished my chores and sit down for the day’s edit. I’m literally freezing and realize that the temperature is as low as 23 degrees, which is outrageous for this time of year.

I pull on my workout sweats; pour myself another coffee and dive back into the edit. Our brains are numb faster than we expected, and an hour before usual we head outside where the clouds are just about to dissipate under the relentless summer sun. The wind is still remarkably fresh, however so we head on out into the yard to tackle the vines once more.

In the weeks that have passed since we last did some gardening, AKA hacking, the purple flowered vines have been raging through the bushes and trees like mad once more, creating a thick carpet all over the place that needs to be removed. It takes us about two hours to get the job done…thankfully the younger sibs decide to join in on the “fun”, so it gets done faster than I anticipated.

Next we head up to the terrace under my cabin where the ground needs to be lowered three inches, and large rocks moved partially down the mountain. Then we tackle the ground, meaning chop, shovel and moving the dirt down into the path that we’re intending to put beside the short stairs near the carport. It is starting to get there, by the time the sun is starting to lower behind the mountain, but unwilling to call it a day I get out the power tools.

I round the corners of my new banister, sand them, and then help big brother and grandpa with the new balustrade on top of the wall. It takes some sawing, painting, and drilling holes in the small metal corners where the wooden beams will be attached. We get five out of six beams up, and basically have to mutilate the mimosa tree beside it, just to get it all up, darn it. That tree was so pretty, but it will grow again, I’m sure, so it is not a disaster in the end.

After we’re done, I take a quick dip in the pool and then head inside to have a quick dinner. What with the balustrade taking so long, and then cleaning up the mess, there really isn’t any time left to do more than another quick edit.

I take a moment to trim some of Bommel’s (Bobtail) hair, since he’s able to see even less without it and then head up to my room for the evening. Beautiful lanterns now light my way as I make my way up, their light sparkling rather merrily, giving the atmosphere a somewhat picturesque appearance.

The evening is still rather cool when I arrive up at my cabin, and settle down on my porch for the remaining hours of my day.

No comments: