Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

A slight scare.

So, I was solid twenty minutes late this morning when I woke up and faced another hot summer day with the persisting light that hurt my eyes. Admittedly, inside my cabin, it cast a rather becoming glow, but once outside it made me squint until I could barely see enough to safely make my way down the mountain.

Though the dogs rushed outside with their usual enthusiasm, they too were daunted by the light and heat, and returned inside in five minutes flat. Hah. Chaos definitely doesn’t like it all, he actually lingered on the bed longer than the others, taking the opportunity to stretch out on the mattress in the full blast of the fan. He looks adorable when he does that, I’ll admit; his round tummy sticks out and his short paws reach for the sky while his loooooong ears lay around his head like a pillow. Yes, it is not for nothing that I call him my gorgeous. Especially since, he fully agrees with the description. Hah.

Old Bommel does have a problem with the rushing youngsters in the morning though. Age has seriously caught up, and while they dash outside, he’ll be standing in the doorway, snarling grumpily and looking winsomely in their direction.

Once in the house, the morning chores dealt with, we spent an hour researching on the net, and lingered for a bit on some quotes from Shaw. Oh my, the man did have a way with words. Fascinating stuff.

Afterwards, followed several hours of editing; interrupted by little brother, who was (and is) concerned about his Cocker Spaniel, Roma. The little dog has been feeling somewhat off, for the past week or so, and today she seemed to have taken a turn for the worse. Poor thing’s face is swollen; her nose is shut and there also appears to be a slight infection around her eye.

We debate for a bit, as to what is the cause, give her an Urbason shot, because it does look like an allergic reaction to an insect bite, and start to follow it up with a couple of shots of a saline solution because she doesn’t want to drink either. In the mean time, grandpa went to town to see if he could rent a car somewhere, or otherwise a cab. As luck would have it our new car is in the shop for some minor repairs still, so we are at present without transportation; which goes to show how such disasters always strike on days when there’s absolutely nothing you can do.
Of course then there is also the little matter of it being the weekend, when taking a dog to the vet (the worst illnesses always strike in the weekend for some reason) is already a tricky thing.

But, be that as it may, it didn’t matter that grandpa was unable to get transportation, since the shots we gave Roma had the desired effects and she was gobbling down nuggets less than three hours after the worries started. What with the improvements, and a continuing Urbason treatment until Monday, we should manage it just fine ourselves.

With that disaster dealt with, big brother and I spend a couple of hours planting some zucchini plants in the small yard, along with a melon and some other growths that we’ve been saving up for the past year for this very purpose.

A salad and yesterday’s quiche make up for today’s meal, and after I ate my share, we settled down in the courtyard for another edit. It goes well today, even though we made a lot of changes in this particular section. And by the time midnight arrives, I’m more than ready to head up to my room to start on the evening routines.

It’s still thirty degrees when I reach my cabin, but a cooling breeze is blowing in from the west and I’m slowly getting used to the heat again. Hah. We should see if that is true ‘round Thursday, when the weather reports claim that the thermometer is going to hit the low forties. Yikes.

No comments: