Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Edting, writing and...terrorism?

So, I only wake half an hour late today. What with my lungs acting up I’ve been sleeping with the heater on, so it’s nice and toasty by the time I open my eyes and scowl at the Trin Trin and Knight II tugging on either end of the bedspread like the monstrosities that they are.

With a snarl at the Great Dane, and lurching halfway out of bed, I manage to grab the Monster Boxer by her collar and drag her close. I just barely manage to toss her out the back door before she tries to pounce back.

A relieved sigh escapes me as I fall back on the bed, and take to staring at her bouncing behind the window like the lunatic that she is. Don’t get me wrong, Trin Trin is a sweet dog about ninety percent of the time, but other ten…oh my. It almost seems as if she got some of her wiring crossed, or some such, which is such a pity. I do hope she gets a bit milder as age comes on.

Four minutes later, and wincing every time one of the other pack members barks insistently for their release, I get out of bed and knee my way through their jubilant bodies crowded in front of the door I need to unlock and then open.

Once they’re out, I stretch the kinks from my back and start on the morning rituals of reading, dressing and making the bed. What with running a little late, I don’t linger upstairs for long, and arrive at the house some thirty minutes after waking.

Chaos is particularly affectionate today, for some reason. He’s literally dancing around me, jumping up against me constantly and looking at me with those big brown eyes displaying his pleasure for the firm pats he receives for the effort.

Only two batches of laundry wait to be hung, and since yesterday there was only a quilt hung, I’m done with the chore in very little time. Breakfast and coffee follow before I do a quick scan of the Net and then start work.

Since we need to go to school later on today, big brother and I decide to work on editing, rather than writing, since that is far less time consuming. It’s a historical romance (short story) that we’ve worked occasionally on before, but need to finish so we can send it out to a publisher that appears to be looking for this particular type of stories.

We are still waiting for word on the two vampire stories we send out, and are getting a little impatient now that over two months have passed since the first.

I’ve got admit that one of the hardest things about being writer is definitely the waiting game. It drags on endlessly and creates a gnawing sense of self-doubt that can literally paralyze you from doing anything else until you get the “get-go” or “let go” answer. The first sucks, but you get over it. The second…well, that one’s just grand and makes you want to dig in to write even more stories.

But anyways, we get quite a few pages edited, even though time seems to fly and our departure arrives well before we’re done. It frustrates me, but it can’t be helped. Until we’ve passed the exams we’ll just have to keep it up.

As usual, I go to my cabin to do so, and am met halfway, by Chaos, who’s loitering outside. He’s still being affectionate, literally crooning as I take a couple of minutes to rub his gleaming fur and pull his skin back and forth in the fashion that he enjoys so much. He would have me do that for hours, if he had any say in it, and scowls at me indignantly when I tell him that I have to hurry and can’t keep petting him. It’s amazing how many different expressions Bassets have, especially since they have such distinctive features in the first place.

After changing clothes and heading on out to the car where our tenant has already been helped inside by her caretaker, because she needs to get her hearing aid in town, I help grandpa with her wheelchair and then climb in by the time big brother joins us and we can depart.

Thirty minutes later we’re dropped off in front of the school and head inside to start the tedious tests once more.
It goes well, I’m glad to report. An hour and a half pass reasonably fast and with two hundred and seventy questions done, I only have six of them wrong. We figure two more times with the same results and we’ll start working out the technicalities of our exams.

While we’re waiting to be picked up, we’re startled by the amount of police on the streets. Their lights are flashing a bright blue and an occasional siren howls, announcing that something is going on, probably a terrorist threat, which happens on occasion, ever since a bomb went off in front of a hotel several years ago.

They appear to be looking for someone, so we keep an eye on things as we wait, pondering the possibilities of something happening until the truck pulls up and we are back on our way up the mountain.

Strange phenomenon terrorism here in Spain: Some province up north wreaking havoc in touristy areas because they want to be independent and start a group of so-called freedom fighters of the ETA.

It is an increasing fashion statement, or so it seems, of terrorists to go there where they cause the most damage. They blow up some place where lots of innocent people are, so they get the most media attention and make the most people nervous.

It almost seems as if they’re all have the same media advisor, over here, in the Middle East…everywhere. Go to some place where the government can’t do much of anything against you without at least some civilian casualties and you’ll get the press on your side. Then “you” are just the minority and aren’t responsible for your deeds, while the government trying to get you is the vile and evil presence that hurt innocents. Hah.

Smart thinking on their part. Not so smart on the media’s part. By giving them this airtime, they do give these terrorists exactly what they want and a very unfair advantage.

But anyway, little thought is wasted on the police presence in town as the usual chats about the dogs and whatnot are exchanged during the drive home.

With the dogs’ usual enthusiasm greeting me, the delicious smells of the dinner little sister prepared teasing my senses, we arrive. I’m filling my plate and keeping it high when Knight II comes galloping towards me with eyes only for the food that he spots even before he sees me. The big lug certainly has his priorities straight. Hah.
I manage to save the meal before disaster strikes and settle at the table to enjoy the spicy potato veggie mix with a helping of cottage cheese on top.

The rest of the night is pretty much spent talking and watching some TV, before the time to return to my cabin arrives and I head out into the night.
The sky is clear, the way it was most of the day. There’s a strong scent of Dame la Noche drifting throughout the courtyard, and the stars glitter prettily in the pitch-black sky overhead as I make my way outside and start my ascend.

I’m relieved that we went to school today, figuring that with a little luck we won’t have to go out again until Friday, and just focus on editing or writing in the days ahead, while I feed my dogs and get ready for the night.

There’s a short tussle between Knight II and Bommel, when the Great Dane deems the eleven-year-old Bobtail’s portion to be tastier than those I put out for him. I jump into the fray immediately, shoving the giant back before things get out of hand, and pull a face when I see I was just a second too late.

Bommel’s eye is already turning red, and a tiny bit of blood seeping into his long white fur makes me call to the house to ask if any of the sibs can bring out the eye bath water so I can treat the damage to prevent an infection.

The Bobtail allows the treatment without a fuss, and dozes off as if nothing happened while I let out a relieved sigh and set up the computer. If the eye doesn’t swell during the night, all should be well.

No comments: