Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Need some R&R. *sigh*

Song of the day: “White Houses” by Vanessa Carlton. Haven’t heard of her lately, but what I do know of her music is kinda cute.

Well, nothing too exciting today. Just the usual routine. Got up half an hour earlier, though, considering I was too tired to do an edit last night, and we really wanted to get down to work a little early today.

Of course I was still tired when I got up this morning, but still, I was determined to head for the house and get to work. It went slowly and difficultly, but we did manage to do five pages in the end. There were definitely good parts in it, but for some reason we are both unable to create enough distance between the edit and actual reading; it doesn’t allow us to enjoy it, which would upset me, if that had any use. Hah.

Since the flow is definitely missing, I’m more than happy to call a halt to today’s edit and head outside into the rather hot afternoon to resume with the reed mats. One extra large one needs to be tied together for a section of the roof, along with a smaller one. The three younger sibs and I set to it, while big brother and grandfather gather more stems from the yard so they can create the support beams from extra large ones.

Four mats tied, rolled and set away, and with two more are added to the courtyard roof, the warm afternoon draws to an end. Together with middle sister this time, we head out to get a new batch from our usual spot, and drive off into the setting sun.

We are running a little behind, so we immediately start cutting our way into the stems. We’re just about halfway through when a couple of locals come walking up, waving in a friendly fashion before they continue on towards the river (I took pictures yesterday, it was downright gorgeous) where they take a dip in the cool water.

It's not just a river that comes from somewhere up the mountain, but pools on top on a solid rock bottom that is completely hollowed out from decades of currents, I think. Also there were holes in the rock from which the water came up from deep below.



We finish up with the arrival of dusk, and just for the heck of it, try a different trail to get back home. We actually succeed, passing over paths that allow the wheels of the Land Rover to cross over, just barely; a little tricky, but in the end we make it back to the old road that brings us home.

I am actually kind of relieved to get home today, considering I feel downright sore all over from today’s work. Four mats, hauling them to the storage area, stripping yesterday’s stems, the edit, of course, and then getting the new batch. I need a little bit of R&R I think.

So here are some mats. Got seven of 'm up, and fifteen more waiting.



I know, looks silly to show it, but one needs to take pride in the little things. Hah.



I’m definitely going to try to make it an early night tonight: Tomorrow is grocery day, so it’s going to be a doozy for sure. I have, however, decided to look upon grocery day as a rest day, so who knows, I might manage to restore some of my energy levels.

2 comments:

Jenclone said...

taking pride in the little things is good, but, ummm, those look kind of big... pride warranted. :)

Samaya Young said...

Well, that must be the photo, 'cause on top of the roof they seem tiny. :-)