Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Up to seven mats.

Song of the day: “Forever” by Chris Brown, again. I woke up with it bouncing in my head, almost as if the stereo was on, for crying out loud.

Should have known then and there that yesterday wasn’t over yet, hah.
But anyway, I am an hour late (yes, I slept a whole extra hour and I wasn’t happy. My head felt like cotton, or something) and slowly get up, testing each and every protesting muscle. I might have overdone things a little yesterday, hah. Did manage another five pages or so before bedtime, so it was definitely a successful edit day.

As soon as I’m down in the house, big brother and I resume the edit, and add another ten; this one didn’t go as smoothly as yesterday, but still. For the past couple of days we’re doing a read-through edit, in case that wasn’t obvious. The rewrite/edit was going so slowly, we were starting to get a tad disheartened. We were no longer able to judge whether the work was good, so instead went to the read-through, to check on what we’ve already done. Considering that we’re breezing through the edit, I gotta admit that it turned out pretty well.

Once today’s session is over, we head outside. Not as nicely cool as yesterday, but not scorching hot either. Luckily little, and middle sister offered to help with the reed weaving today, so while they set to it (I am almost gleefully happy about that, since my back is still bothering me) little brother and I set to stripping yesterday’s batch.

Our friend Danni is helping too, and after both sisters finish the first mat, she and little sister start on the second one. By the time this one is done too, middle sister and I start on the third one, deciding to work at top speed, just too see if we can get it done under one hour. What with the reed stems already stripped and set in place where we have easy access, we actually manage to do it in half that time. Seven mats done, only thirty more to go, hah.

By then dusk is rapidly approaching and big brother and I head out in search for a new spot to get reed (wouldn’t want to cut it all out of the same spot) and just to tour around. Driving over badly kept dirt roads, the Land Rover once again proves it worth when we get to a dead end and are forced to turn on a steep incline.

The spot is rather beautiful in the clear moonlight. Mountains all ‘round, a clear blackening sky filled with stars. There is an excellent view on the big dipper, Cassiopeia and even the northern star. We take a few minutes to admire the whole and then head home for a very late dinner.

The paved road are ridiculously busy, weekend partiers going back and forth between the villages. A lot of them are dressed up and maybe even a tad tipsy, from what I’m guessing to be some sort of grand party at the big hotel about three miles away from our place

Once at home, I take a quick dip in the pool, the water stinging on hands and arms from the tiny cuts the reed causes, but once they’re clean they no longer bother me, and I can gather today’s laundry (I forgot this morning) and then inside to have dinner.

Which brings today’s recount to an end. Just another edit to go, and then I can call it a day.
Yep, I’m most curious what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: