Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Sea swimming; it's been a while.

Song of the day: “One way or another” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor (originally by Blondie, I think) I decided to do things differently today and picked a song to have in my head, rather than leave it up to fate. Admittedly, this was after waking up with that oldie: “How much is that doggie in the window, woof, woof” aaaargh, so I figured some sort of intervention was required. Hah.

I am nicely on time this morning. Considering I went to bed in time for a change it was only to be expected, but still, most of my backache is gone (yay) and I can actually get out of bed without groaning. The temperatures are up again; this seesaw thing is driving me bonkers for sure. Nothing but sarongs and bikini tops out of respect for the sun pounding down.

Amri is still limping a little, but is doing decidedly better while we make our way down to the house and start on the morning’s chores. Only a bit of laundry to hang and fold today, so soon I’m settling down for the edit.

We only manage three pages, or so, because we’re doing some fact checking. You see, my hero drives a classic Thunderbird, and though I have a rather clear image in my head of what it looks like, I am not actually sure if a Thunderbird looks that way. So we start searching and sure enough, we find one - blue like the one I described, a lot of engine power etc. etc. - the only thing I hadn’t envisioned was the beak-like grill in front, but since I never took the time to describe the actual front if wasn’t a problem. Kinda nice to discover that I did it right.

There are some location checks as well, but since those were correct too, it all works out well. So, five hours after starting…I know I’ve said it before, but there is nothing more exhausting than editing; shifting around sentences in ten different ways, changing details, surroundings, directions, it’s mind-numbing…we call it quits and head outside.

The sun is pounding, but after a quick dip in the pool, and then moving up to the shade of the carport, it isn’t all that bad. While grandpa and big brother head up and the down the mountain to fix another leak in the water main, I prepare the remainder of the window frame for little sister’s room and then put it together.

Knight II is grumpy again today, and when I stop him from pouncing on some of the other dogs, he literally knocks my watch right off my wrist. I don’t know what the heck is wrong with him, but I’m definitely going to have to do some obedience training with him again. This simply won’t do. Once the pack has calmed down a bit, I resume putting the frame together.

Later big brother helps with the final fitting part, and while he works on the second frame, for little brother’s room, I sand and paint the first and hang them to dry on the support beams of the carport. While working, we got the idea to head to the sea to swim some actual distances, rather than jog, and since the weather sure warrants a swim, so as soon as we’re done we get in the car and drive off.

It takes a while to find a parking spot along the boulevard - it was ridiculously busy with tourists - and when we finally found them darkness was already falling. Much to our surprise a lot has changed in the last few years along the beach. Huge spotlights have been placed along the boulevard, and allows for at least a hundred yards of light, right into the sea.

We have a nice swim, even though the water is surprisingly cold, and then head back home. It’s late when we arrive, the night downright balmy, but my skin still feels taut from the excellent exercise and the cold. Yay.

After a quick - very late - dinner, tonight’s blog, it is time to head up to my cabin to resume the edit on my porch…the new table works perfectly, by the way. It’s so pleasant to be able to sit in the cool night air, without having to worry about the dogs sweeping the table from under the computer. Hah.

Yep, an excellent day today, it lasted way too short again.

2 comments:

Jenclone said...

swimming in the sea at night under spotlights? that's a really interesting and kind of disturbing visual image. like it.

Samaya Young said...

Hi Jenclone,
Yeah, it was a little weird, but it sure beat swimming in the dark. Hah