Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bugger.

I have very little to write about today. Last night’s wandering thoughts took long enough for me to get to bed well past my bedtime, so I didn’t get enough sleep today…again. It’s starting to be a habit, it seems. This entire blog thing is most certainly not beneficial to my sleeping pattern. But that’s okay. Who needs sleep anyway?

So how was my day? I’m not sure; I’m feeling a bit ambivalent about it, so whoever reads it will have to decide on their own.

I wake at my usual time. The sun shining in a clear blue sky, while the temperatures are just barely comfortable. My head feels blurry, a lack-of-sleep-hangover pounding distantly in my skull as I pop an extra vitamin C and rummage through the drawers in search of cold medicine now that my throat feels painfully sore.

My by yearly cold is rearing its ugly head this past week, and I’m working hard at nipping it in the butt before it gets out of hand, the way it did last year. I have no intention of my lungs filling up with liquid again, the sore throat, clogged nose and a fever that will incapacitate me for a full week while the bug lingers for at least a month. Bloody cold!

I also have a variety of cuts in my lips…I always get those during the dry cold days in winter…and occasional blood flows while my face readjusts to actual movements after a night of inactivity.

A glance in the mirror shows that I am quite a horrific sight. Tiny black-red crusts in the corners of my mouth and Albert Einstein hair, right before I plunge my face in the sink and follow that up by quickly combing my hair in a semblance of order, prior to another wary, and quick, glance in the mirror.

There were dreams, but as is often case when I wake abruptly after just a few hours of sleep, I can’t recall them within five minutes of waking.
Still, I don’t feel too bad as I get dressed and head down to the house with the dogs coming my pursuit.

Knight’s annoying harassment, definitely a habit he is rapidly acquiring in the mornings, doesn’t improve my mood at all. The majority of the hour that follows my relocation is spent trying to hang the day’s laundry…after just barely saving it from getting dirty again when the handle of the basket breaks off in my hand on the way into the courtyard. I think I pulled a muscle, making a rather odd twist-dodge-lean towards the wall to keep it from going all over the ground.

But anyway: I have a quick breakfast and stick my nose in a mug of coffee while the computer boots up and the usual routine ensues. Three hours and three cigarettes later big brother and I still haven’t made any serious headway with editing: Just three or four pages that literally crawl by when we get constantly distracted from the task at hand.

Around seven in the evening I decide to quit for a while, leaving big brother at his computer while he keeps an eye on mine so I can prepare dinner without the bother to putting my computer safely away.
Couscous, stir fried with olive oil and curries, rather than just cooking it, is on the menu today. Unless it is prepared in this particular way, with an onion, salt and a bit of sugar to give it some taste, I really don’t like couscous at all. It’s bland and…well, just bland, unless prepared just right when it’s still dry. Adding some veggies, red bell pepper, peas, sweet corn and green beans, I’m done and disperse the portions of the hungry mob.

I have several near misses with Knight II, who really would like a mouthful of human food, but manage to keep my portion intact–just barely.
After dinner and its ensuing cleanup, I force myself back to the computer for some more editing, which is my least favorite part of the entire writing process.

Luckily the second session goes much better, and by the time 1 AM has passed the manuscript is dubbed “done”…for the first round. Tomorrow the next round will be there, but for a while that doesn’t matter.
Ten minutes later it does. However well the session went; today my mood was not beneficial for the task at all. Pretty much everything read/sounded wrong, horrible and dreadful, and though I am well aware that as soon as the proverbial dust settles, it won’t be half as bad as I think it is at the moment, it annoys me to no end.

The usual trip to the cabin comes right after a quick slice of bread with peanut butter and honey–for some reason I was starving, still am, as a matter of fact, but food will have to wait ‘till tomorrow.
With this final recount, the day has come to an end and…I’m late once again.
Bugger!

No comments: