Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rest day, yay!

I woke up several times during the night–mostly due to the monster Boxer– but oddly enough I am not feeling too bad when the alarm goes off and it is time for me to get up.

The weather’s nice enough when I let the dogs out, and start on the morning rituals, knowing full well that today time is limited due to the necessary grocery shopping that needs to be done, and get to the house under an hour after waking up.

Taking in consideration that we’ll be out for hours today, big brother and I decide to take a rest day. No writing, no workout and blissfully, no laundry. After giving Yadzia his extra portion of food, I start on my own breakfast and turn on the coffee machine before I set my computer up and settle down.

Since time is limited, I spend some of it online, just having some chats on the forums and whatnot, while going over my messages simultaneously.
Big brother and I do a lot of discussing too, “the kitchen project” the next “writing project” and just about anything that comes to mind, making time fly by remarkably fast, when the sibs come down and the day starts for real.

The hour of our departure for town has arrived, and we’re all hurrying through getting ready. Little sister has decided to join us on today’s shopping spree, so we all pile into the truck and head on out.

First off is the specialty store. Some of the few extras that we like to enjoy from my country of birth are running low, so we get those before the store closes at six. Next comes the herboristeria (herbal shop) where I need to get some nutritional supplements and my monthly supply of Parteinio, which is really the only thing that keeps me from having an endless headache/migraine.

Gawd, I’m so happy I found that stuff. I don’t know what about it works so well, considering that it is basically made out of chrysantinums but it is the only remedy that managed to stop a two-year headache I once suffered from.
Nothing had helped, and God knows I tried anything from pharmaceutical painkillers, which only numbed it, acupuncture that did nothing, the chiropractor and whatnot until the lady at the shop suggested Parteinio.

Miracle above miracle it worked. Two weeks later I was astounded when I realized that the constant pounding was gone, allowing me to function normally again for the first time in TWO friggin’ years.

I’m very diligent in keeping my supply of the herbal pills stocked now. I can only do a maximum of four days without them before the headache will start up again, and if I make the error of not taking it for that amount of time, it will take up to a week of constant head-pounding before it has effect once more.

A lesson well learned, I’ll admit. Now I always have a spare bottle lying around.

But anyways, once I get the necessary supplies, we head on over to the El Corte Inglés, where we need to buy new ink for the printer.

Next comes the video store. Since we need to go to our lessons tomorrow anyway, we decide to rent a couple of movies for our viewing pleasure since when we’re not to working on the kitchen tonight.

The last store, the supermarket is up, and with two carts in front of us we start piling in the supplies that need to see us through the next two weeks. Putting everything on the checkout counter, back in the carts and then into the car takes quite some time but at last we’re heading back home, knowing full well that we’ll need to lug everything down to the house and place it in the storage still, before we can relax.

An hour later, with the last bit of yesterday’s chili filling our stomach’s big brother and I finish printing the W.I.’s for a review swap I’m doing with an author in the US before I finally flop down in an armchair and lounge with Chaos on Dax on my lap.

First movie up is “Hancock”. Either I’m not in the proper mindset, or the movie’s slow in starting up. What with me being preoccupied these days, the first could very well be the case, but once the story gets going I find myself intrigued with the concept. It is very different than I’d expected, I admit.

I didn’t find it really funny, which was what I’d presumed after seeing trailers and such, but sad, actually. There was a very intense surprise in the storyline, that had me intrigued by the time the ending came around. The premises of the story were very original, giving the “superhero” theme a rather intriguing twist halfway into the movie.

The concept surprised me, to say the least, hinting at something a little deeper which I wish the director, or author had expanded on a little. They could have let out a lot of the “fun stuff” and focused on Hancock’s past, for as far as I was concerned…that would have been fascinating.

Also, the ending was very intense, sad too.
What left me confused was that final scene at the hospital, however. I would have sworn I’d seen it before when a creepy déjà vu feeling swept through me. Almost as if I knew the exact sequence of the scene, when I know I didn’t.

Considering that tonight’s rest night, we immediately put on the next DVD. “The Dark Knight” showing a disappointing weak plot, acting that could have been done better, dragged out scenes of car pursuits and whatnot that could have done with some serious cutting. The only one who played an intriguing role was Heath Ledger, who gave and entirely new and seriously creepy flavor to the Joker role.

When I heard he was up for an award for playing the Joker in this batman role, I figured that it was just an honorary nomination due to his untimely death, but having watching him in the movie; I do have to say that acting-wise, it was brilliantly played.

I hardly recognized him, actually. His voice was completely different, his poise seriously messed up, and all in all a totally different person than he usually played.
The movie might not have been the best, but with Ledger’s playing, it remained interesting.

It’s late when the movie finishes, and I hurry on up to my cabin, chasing the dogs up and feeding them quickly. I’ve just about finished that particular chore when big brother comes scavenging through my book collection, and we end up talking for half an hour about the first movie before we both decide to call it a night and I’m left to start on my nightly session online.

Tomorrow is going to be another busy day…or at least parts of it, so with this I’ll finish today’s Blog and see if I can get to bed early for a change.

No comments: