Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tired, but reasonably well.

I was in a miserable state last night when I finally got to bed. I was dizzy, my head hurt and there was this loud buzz inside my skull that sent a vibration through me until I was afraid I was going to pass out. This in the end forced me to head to bed and hope for an uninterrupted night’s rest.

I got it too. I literally passed out for five full hours and spent the last two snoozing pleasantly until it was time to wake up to a bright and sunny Spanish day.
Deliberately I refuse to let my thoughts stray to Yadzia and the way he would usually give me a quick greeting before heading outside, and start on the morning rituals without pause as soon as I release the pack.

One of the dogs vomited during the night. A big pile of grass, twigs and even branches that lay in a neat pile in the corner. I’m thinking it was Gadah, since she didn’t feel at all well last night and I did see her eat grass while we were working in the garden. Besides, she is her cheerful self again this morning, and storms out the cabin, nipping at Amri’s heels enthusiastically.

When I arrive at the house, depositing my computer bag and a small bag of laundry, big brother is already there. With a certain amount of determination we have a mutual agreement not to discuss our upcoming lesson, knowing that if we start worrying about it now we won’t be able to focus on the planned editing session. Instead, we just chat about projects in progress and anything else that catches our attention.

So, after breakfast, our habitual morning talk with grandpa, and with our coffee in hand we set up the computers. While big brother is distracted from the task a bit longer, I spent a little while writing about half a page for a scene that we want to insert into the story, and then we start.

For several hours we pour over sentence structure, grammar and the occasional typo until the time of our departure arrives and we’ve gone through a wonderful total of six pages and feel happy about it.

Still on a high about the successful session, we go through the preparation of going to school and the unexpected trip to the vet (again) with Clue. The poor pointer has another abscess on his side, and considering his last disastrous ailment–the tunnel system through his entire torso made by a torpedoing seed–we figure we better play it safe.

We arrive at five on the dot, spending a useless twenty-five minutes for the doc to finally see us, and then have to hurry through the interview because the waiting has already made us late for our lessons.

Remembering his previous visit, the vet agrees that the seed might still be wreaking havoc and decides to keep Clue overnight, so they can drain the swelling and see if they can finally find the culprit.

As quick as possible we depart for town, getting frustrated as heck about a majority of drivers who appear to be cruising at the lowest speed allowed. It makes us a good seven minutes late to arrive at our school. We actually see our instructor arrive and hurry to get ready.

For the next two hours we go through the routines he’s set out for us, and though it was rigorous once again, it wasn’t as bad as the last time. He corrected us on technicalities more than anything and that I can deal with.

We arrive a few minutes before our pick up, but it doesn’t matter. Soon we get in to start on the most arduous task of the day. Groceries! Ugh.
Since little brother has already done the on-the-side shopping while we were at our lesson, we head for the supermarket without pause and rush through the aisles at top speed.

Thirty minutes later, after bagging all the groceries and piling it in the back of the truck, we’re on our way home and happy for it.
Unloading and putting everything away is still ahead, but at least we get everything done that needs to be done.

At nine thirty we’re starting on dinner at last. Little sister has anticipated our late return and has it waiting for us: A vegetable curry with large chapattis on the side. Though I would have liked Italian, (I always want carbs at the end of a stressful day) the meal is tasty and filling, which is really all we require after the day we’ve had.

We watch “CSI” and “Bones” after which the evening has come to an end and it’s time for me to retire to my quarters. There is a slight hiccup in my equilibrium when I catch myself turning back in the gate to the courtyard, checking to see if all my dog (including Yadzia) are through, but I ruthlessly push it aside.
With the dogs rushing up ahead of me, I marvel at their energy level…but then, they have been snoozing most of the day, of course.

Another day has come to an end, and at this point, I won’t mind at all not having to leave the house for at least a week.
It’s doubtful that I’ll get it, but some wishful thinking does a body a world of good.

2 comments:

Jenclone said...

Hi Sam - sorry about Yadzia. So sad. Miss you lately. Signed myself up here so I can stop being a blogspot lurker. :P

Samaya Young said...

Hi Jen,
Thank you and it's great to see you here. I wondered where you were at.