Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The hammer incident.

Song of the day: “This woman’s work” by Kate Bush. Second, or third day in a row, I think, and still going strong. Maybe it is some sort of record. Hah.

In the writing section of Samaya Young’s life (snort) yesterday I officially started writing on a new project, which will, as of today be called “V.L.”
So, I am only one page into the story, but am definitely looking forward to diving in feet-first. I’ve got the characters, I’ve got the setting, so I’m all set. YAY!

Right, there’s another bit of dialogue to share, which occurred the other day when big brother and I were taking apart this huge wooden structure. To give you an idea of what’s what, I’m wielding this big-ass hammer, and big brother is holding the structure steady so I can hit sections out. We’re at the fourth beam, I think, when big brother swears and jumps back.

Me: “What? What?” I watched him swear and glare in the darkness.
Big Brother: “You hit me!”
Me: “What?”
Big Brother: “You hit me.”
Me: “No I didn’t.” He glares some more.
Me: “Really? How? Where?” I frowned, replay the scene in my head. Nothing.
Big Brother: “My finger. The other one. Fuck, I better not lose a nail again.” He slipped his left hand under the opposite armpit, moved around restlessly.
Me: “Bad?”
Big Brother: “Not as bad as the last time...I think.” He mumbled, moving to the light to check the damage. I whack at the wood again, keeping half and eye on him.
Me: “Why’d you put your hand there anyway?” Another whack.
Big Brother: no answer, he just glared at me. *snort*
Me: “Seriously. How’d you get your finger there. I was whacking it for crying out loud!” Another whack and the small beam went down. Big brother picks it up.
Me: “Sorry.”
Big brother: A grunt. And then yanks a beam off the construction to put it away. I whacked at another beam.
Me: "Don't look that way. I didn't do it on purpose." Still glaring.
Me: “Really. I’m sorry. I didn’t notice you took hold of the beam.” Another beam landed...an inch from his feet. He ground his teeth.
Big Brother: “Just be careful.”
Me: “Right. How’s your finger?” Though I still didn’t get it, I felt bad.
Big Brother: “Not too bad. Let’s hurry up.”
Me: “Okay. This one too...?”


And so it went on as we systematically went through the wood, until we could finally get it to the storage up at the old horse paddock. *sigh* Big brother ended up with his middle finger’s (I swear, when he showed the damage he flipped me off, hah) nail purple, blue and black, but other than that all is well.

The job interview...if it can be called such, went well, I think. We should know wen we start ‘round next week. We went there yesterday and found out that even though it is not going to be as bad as we feared. The digging is getting out rubble more than anything, and that is something we are intimately familiar with. It was a relief to see, really, since in my mind I was already imagining working in the full sunshine on some rocky mountain slope. Instead we’ll be under trees, digging out stuff from under a house that will provide ample shade. So we’re going to have to wait and see how it is going turn out. If we get the job, we’ll be out there five times a week, so...

There were another two training sessions since the last blog. What with the possibility of lots of physical labor, big brother and I are both pumping iron a bit again, making sure that the ol’ bod is up to par when the time comes. The sessions went rather well, if I do say so myself, and last up to an hour and a half. Heck, I’m not even sore today, and really, I kicked/punched some serious butt yesterday. Hah.
Now if only the knee wasn’t such a winer, I could start jogging again. I do miss it, and Knight II could use the movement. Darn it!

There was sand hauling, naturally,but no rock hauling for a change. Did sleep too little again these days passed, which isn’t smart. Nor have I been eating enough, which is a hard thing to overcome, not to mention a little dangerous. I’ve gotta watch those nutritional values like a hawk, in particular because I have no intention whatsoever of ending up with that low iron/magnesium/calcium/B12 crap again. Just the other day my muscles were cramping somewhat fierce. Ah well, nothing to do except watch what I eat.

As for projects in the past couple of days Dani helped me hang the closets in the courtyard. The storage facilities being short as they are, three shelving units that take up a nine by six feet wall, will be more than useful. It looks neat too, which is part of the attraction for me. Hah. It took two days of work, but they’re in place and already half full. *sigh*

While we were doing that, grandpa and big brother worked on the new door for what will, at some point in the near future be our new bathroom. There’s a door frame to make, a door to sand and cut to size, and all and all, the doorway to prepare. It will be fascinating to see the dogs staying out of that place once the door’s in. Hah.

Lots of watering going on, in particular since the promised rain never showed, and the plants are getting big enough to need proper nourishment. As for harvesting, tomatoes are steadily ready for consumption now. For the past three days or so we got four or five a day, which is good what with all the messes going on in Europe with the E. Coli effected veggies. Now, more than ever, I’m incredibly happy the yard (and our veggies) are doing so well. No chance of infection there. Hah.
Boy, that is some disease you can get there. Phew.

Right, and on that cheery note, lets wrap this up. I’ve got a book to write and chili to eat (made fresh chili-sin-carne for lunch, btw) so, what else.

Ah crap, the bad news. There’s another visit to vet in the near future, because Amri has a big lump under his chin. I wish I could say since when he has it, but since Amri has issues with being touched especially on his head, I didn’t notice it until the day before yesterday. Seriously, if that turns out to be cancer as well, I’m going to do...something. Hmmm. I’ll just have to wait and see.

Well, gotta go.

No comments: