Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Warm to cold...yikes!

Considering that I have only a few minutes to write today…tomorrow’s another lesson day…I’m going to try to keep this really short for a change.

I’m not so sure what to write about, since it was all very average. Basically the morning is like any morning, followed up by breakfast and a long edit session that goes remarkably well, considering that I am dreadfully fuzzy again. I need two coffees before I finally start to think properly.

Today the fourth character of the female protagonist first surfaces, so it’s a lot of fun to write, if for no other reason than paying attention that she is truly different than the others and that this comes across in a satisfying fashion. Different intonation, sentence structure and behavior patterns: All of it is so very important.

We manage almost six pages in the three hours available and by the time the sibs come down we’re ready to head on out into the bright sunshine. It’s Sunday, so a new batch of rocks were fetched this morning, and after the sibs and I empty the truck bed, big brother and grandpa head out, to get another.

The younger sibs and I head down to the old pool again. It’s a beautiful day, even though there are a lot of clouds and a few drops of rain fall. There’s also a cold wind coming from the northwest, but it doesn’t take away the wonderfully warm sunlight that falls on us as we get back to emptying the remainder of the massive gutter, running along the length of the old pool.

The mimosas are in full bloom, filling the air with a sweet scent that mixes pleasantly with our jasmine vine, blooming in the courtyard a solid twenty yards away from where we work.

It takes quite some effort to empty the gutter. Trees and bushes (mainly the Eucalypts we suspect) have rooted in the place where lots of water ends up. The roots are thick and hardy, needing actual hacking from three of us while the brothers build up a small rock wall on a place where sand continues to tumble down.

The air rapidly cools, by the time the sun begins to descend behind the mountain across the valley. Small clouds of mist form in front of our mouths, and feeling considerably chilled we decide to call it a day and start to head up the mountain.

Like us, the dogs are chilled too, and more than ready to head into the house and get to dinner.
Little brother has prepared ours, vegetables with lintels and rice on pita bread, which certainly goes down well after the rather strenuous work.

After dinner I spent some time doing more mending of clothes that are really starting to be riddled with holes. Afterwards I spent quite some time hanging a big batch of laundry–yesterday’s still isn’t dry–and literally fill up the lines before I get on my computer and get down to some work.
We manage approximately one more page when it’s time for me to head up to my cabin and start on the day’s blog.

It’s dreadfully cold when I arrive, the temperatures only six degrees more than the freezing point and a miserly rain is coming down again, chilling me considerably as I hurry into my bedroom and switch on the heater. I hate the cold.
After feeding the dogs, who are all hurrying inside…they don’t like the cold either, and pounce on the food I disperse for them. After going through the morning rituals, I’m pleased to see that I’m right on time. But, I get distracted again, of course.

Both grandpa and big brother come to visit and we end up talking for two solid hours before I finally get down to business.
Thoughts of tomorrow’s lesson are already trying to gain the upper hand in my head, but I’m determined to keep them at bay until I can no longer postpone it. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments: